Toms Hardware is Annoying | Rant

-redundant-

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Been reading this site for years. Love it. Or rather, Loved it.

Man, it has going down hill. Constant weird typos/bad-info in press releases, way way way too much gaudy advertising, and you spelled Forums with a Z -- Who decided to hire the Kool Dewdz to run this thing? Performance issues with both content and forums.

This site use to be cleaner. Succinct, and less Junk. ya, this is a rant, I suppose because I really loved this place years ago...<sigh>

I respect a site less and less the more I see the all too annoying "Ads by Google" And running a mouse cursor down a page, inadvertently causing those Popup ads....gah

The articles, reviews, and such are generally still very good. But its all the crap surrounding it thats getting old.

Ads eat up more screen real estate on the page I am typing this, than the editor itself.

Site is getting "hacky"

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You can turn the text popups off in your profile, and if you don't want ads on the site just use an ad blocker. I use the one that comes with Camino, works fine, no ads whatsoever.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You can turn the text popups off in your profile, and if you don't want ads on the site just use an ad blocker. I use the one that comes with Camino, works fine, no ads whatsoever.
Yes, or you can stop coming here if you don't like it.Yeah....it's an unfortunate fact of life, that it costs money to run this site(and any other decent review site), and of course....they need to make money as well... so the money has to come from somewhere.........ads. :wink:

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Man, it has going down hill. Constant weird typos/bad-info in press releases, way way way too much gaudy advertising, and you spelled Forums with a Z -- Who decided to hire the Kool Dewdz to run this thing? Performance issues with both content and forums.

Good good, let it all out. I think just about everyone around here has had something to complain about in the last six months.

To your specifics: forumz was a question posed on the forum by the site managers when the big overhaul was done a few months back. I don't know if there was an official popular vote, but it was actually discussed.

And to the advertising, well, I'm not wanting to have to pay a subscription to read the articles. If ads get these guys paid without me having to shell out, then really I can't complain. Also, adblock seems to do a pretty good job for me.

There have been some iffy articles put up, but I don't have the time to read everything. I just stick to what interests me, and if an article here at Tom's isn't to my liking I find more info elsewhere.

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
This thread is all in the wrong place.

10 Print "Goto 20"
20 "Community" Goto 30
30 Run "Other"

Good luck :wink:

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I voted you down because the "Other" section is a big part of what's wrong with this site. If you are just joking, then I take it back.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I just use adblock to get rid of the ads. I think decent ads are ok, but if it's getting difficult to actually find content (As is the case on this site in my opinion) then that's just too much.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
i was pretty blown away by the in-post Google ads that were added in the last year.

it's normal when developing & selling a media company to try & present a stream of revenues & profits. looks like Tom's tried to maximize ad revenues at the time of their sale.

having gone to design school and worked in design for about 20 years, i have seen instructors & co-workers present examples of what not to do. the way Tom's is designed now, it creates the possibility of ending up on someone's "ugly" list at a place like Art Center (College of Design) in Pasadena.

but let us not forget, this classic.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030707/index.html

hmmm. URL isn't working right now. that's the URL for the "Motherboard Tsunami" review in 2003, when they reviewed about 24 865 and 875 motherboards, and gave the awards to the MSI Neo in the 865 category and the 6-RAM-slot Gigabyte board in the 875 category, the one you could get with the on-board SCSI. the one that looked like the cover of the Beetles Seargeant Pepper album, psychedelic.

since this website is about tech understanding, that would be a good subject for an article, how do on-line ads work, what are the trade-offs between graphic design and ad revenues that are considered in a digital media company.

one request - if we're going to look at ads, could we have more ads with T&A ? (and maybe even a control panel, so we can pick our ad preferences). this could take the website in a direction sort of like Maxim, that men's magazine.

Omid may not like PCI slots but he couldn't be too opposed to more ads like this
http://www.reef.com/missreef.php

i say if we're going to have more ads, let's have more T&A ads !