Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp not loading and cant flash BIOS

Tags:
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 9, 2009 1:11:32 AM

I am trying to reload windows xp pro on my friends dell XPS 400 and when I 1st tried to run the install it always went to a stop eror pci.sys. I was able to create a boot disk fdisk the drive and got it to install but it hung on the windows splash screen so I tried a new HDD and RAM and get hung on same spot so I then booted in safew mode and it loads but if i try safe mode with networking it hangs on the mup.sys file. So i thought the bios needed to be flashed went to dell sight got the update but I cant flash it from safe mode of dos prompt. Any ideas or suggestions, is it the motherboard or something. Any help would be great

More about : windows loading flash bios

June 9, 2009 3:24:02 AM

You're not using a "free" copy of Windows, are you? Sounds like a motherboard problem to me if that's not the case.
June 9, 2009 4:48:56 AM

ive used this copy of windows before. How would a free copy cause it.
Related resources
June 9, 2009 4:56:17 AM

Trying to flash the BIOS while a machine isn't stable isn't a good idea, if the machine hangs while flashing, you brick it!
Are you installing the original Dell build of XP?
June 9, 2009 5:13:15 AM

Was typing the reply at the same time you posted...
The Dell build of XP isn't the same as a normal commercial build, a number of the core drivers are different for improved compatability with Dell hardware.
June 9, 2009 6:16:32 AM

no i am not using the dell build my friend lost them. So the only option would be to have him order them thru dell
!