Sign in with
Your question

Barcelona uses less power than K8?

Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2007 6:31:10 PM

Fuad his pics of an AMD test with power meters that shows Barcelona uses up to 50W less than a similarly configured K8 system.

Good news for upgrades. I guess that is proof that the new Split plane design i s yielding benefits.

Linkage!

More about : barcelona power

June 5, 2007 6:33:43 PM

Quote:

Well one would certainly hope so, since AMDs been hyping reduced power enough to bother developing and offering BEs. A K10 sucking more power than K8 = egg on their own face
June 5, 2007 6:40:58 PM

Quote:

Well one would certainly hope so, since AMDs been hyping reduced power enough to bother developing and offering BEs. A K10 sucking more power than K8 = egg on their own face

Ummmm, what? This is dual core vs. quad core. To have four cores using less power than two is a pretty nice feat.
Related resources
June 5, 2007 6:43:00 PM

I'd prefer to hear from a real site. No mention of performance or any configuration details. One must also remember that there are no K8 65nm chips.
June 5, 2007 6:45:03 PM

Quote:
To have four cores using less power than two is a pretty nice feat.

Already achieved today, Kentsfield cooler than 6000+ :) 
June 5, 2007 6:47:16 PM

Fudzilla = shite crap site - any self-respecting "enthusiast" would simply ignore it all together, let alone quote it in a thread...
June 5, 2007 6:49:30 PM

Quote:

Ummmm, what? This is dual core vs. quad core. To have four cores using less power than two is a pretty nice feat.

Its a next gen CPU. Again, one would hope it uses less power than the previous gen, regardless of core#, if the company producing it uses reduced power usage as a key corporate marketing point.

<<EDIT>>
Oh, and BTW, it turns out the power usage measurements in the link are worthless as they didnt note parameters.. only "full load"

Quote:
AMD had set up what was apparently two identical systems, one with two dual core Opteron's and one with two quad core Opteron's. The quad core system drew 214W at full load, while the dual core system drew 259W. This varied slightly, but overall the quad core system was some 50-55W more power efficent.

This says nothing of the clock speed or performance, only full load. The K10 could easily be benching slower, the same or faster than the K8. Given that, if it benches slower, the lower power usage means nothing. If its benching the same, thats good. Benching faster, so much the better.

With out specifics, then AMDs claim is so much more smoke and mirrors. It provides no factual, quantitative information while presenting the appearance of an improvement.
June 5, 2007 7:03:15 PM

Quote:

not a nice as ur mom!

i'm so damn funny.
June 5, 2007 7:06:45 PM

The key word here is "apparently"

I'm thinking that AMD put two machines side by side, with a little caption saying, "K10 vs. Opteron 2200"....

....and Fuad took it as both systems are configured similarly..
June 5, 2007 7:11:35 PM

For all we know, it's a setup to measure equipment, and not necessarily even hooked up to any machines.

Faud took a picture of meters. Okay...what the hell are they connected to? Just cause he said they were hooked up to so and so machines doesn't mean diddly squat. Why not take a picture of the meters and the machines being tested? With the opportunity to show the entire test setup, why just pictures of the meters?

The meter picture doesn't mean a thing. Show us a picture of what the meters are hooked up too. How hard would that have been to do?
June 5, 2007 7:20:03 PM

Quote:
The key word here is "apparently"

I'm thinking that AMD put two machines side by side, with a little caption saying, "K10 vs. Opteron 2200"....

....and Fuad took it as both systems are configured similarly..

Doesnt matter. Configuration doesnt tell end performance or clockspeed, only system/operating parameters. Lets say the K10 was clocked at 1.6 and the K8 at 2.0, and the K10 gave a benchmark of X in program Y while the K8 gave a bench of 2X in program Y. That would mean the K8 was giving twice as much processing capacity for ~18% more power usage. More than a fair trade off depending what your doing. If you reverse those numbers, than the K10 would beat the K8.

The point is, without compartive, quantitative numbers to qualify the statement, saying K10 uses less power than K8 at full load actaully says nothing. Akin to saying a normally aspirated V8 uses less gas than a superchargerd V8...yes, but how much more power does it put out.
June 5, 2007 7:27:27 PM

Quote:

not a nice as ur mom!

i'm so damn funny.

Wow, should I report it, should I not?

What would be funny is me stomping your face in talking about my deceased mother, you cancerous growth.
a c 87 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 5, 2007 7:32:16 PM

Quote:
One must also remember that there are no K8 65nm chips.

Really? What are all of these then?
June 5, 2007 7:37:41 PM

Quote:
I'd prefer to hear from a real site. No mention of performance or any configuration details. One must also remember that there are no K8 65nm chips.

You mean Opteron right? No there aren't but since Fuad said the Barc boxes were at 1.6GHz, then so are the Opterons which would then be HE parts which are low power.

I'm just glad that we are seeing actual machines running Windows. I'm sure there will be more info about the systems as AMD has said they will produce numbers.
June 5, 2007 7:42:08 PM

Quote:

not a nice as ur mom!

i'm so damn funny.

Wow, should I report it, should I not?

What would be funny is me stomping your face in talking about my deceased mother, you cancerous growth.
Come on, do you have to make violent eThreats? Chill.
June 5, 2007 7:44:47 PM

Dammit, right, no 65nm K8 Opterons.

Baron, where does he say those were 1.6GHz?
June 5, 2007 7:46:49 PM

Quote:
Dammit, right, no 65nm K8 Opterons.

Baron, where does he say those were 1.6GHz?

He took some screenshots that showed it was at 1.6GHz.
June 5, 2007 7:52:05 PM

Quote:

You mean Opteron right? No there aren't but since Fuad said the Barc boxes were at 1.6GHz, then so are the Opterons which would then be HE parts which are low power.

And how do you arrive at this conclusion?

Quote:
The upcoming quad core Opteron processors from AMD draws less power than the current dual core Opterons and AMD is already bragging about it.

During the AMD press conference at Computex today, a demo of the new Opteron's showed them as being much more power efficent than the current dual core processors.

AMD had set up what was apparently two identical systems, one with two dual core Opteron's and one with two quad core Opteron's. The quad core system drew 214W at full load, while the dual core system drew 259W. This varied slightly, but overall the quad core system was some 50-55W more power efficent.

In reality this means that you get twice the computing power in your servers without having to worry about any increase in power, which will make a lot of people happy, as there are already problems in most server rooms with new servers drawing way too much power.

Here's a picture from the live demo that show the dual core system on the left and the quad core on the right. Note that it's the first meter that shows the Wattage.

Nowhere in the the article was there mention of component or software specifications on either system. Only:
Quote:
AMD had set up what was apparently two identical systems, one with two dual core Opteron's and one with two quad core Opteron's

Which in no way shape or form implies an HE 1.6 Opteron. The obvious fact is that both systems were not identical since they were running different CPUs. The only thing the artical does imply is that the 2 systems were using the same non CPU hardware, i.e motherboard, RAM, GPU, and the same software.

There appears to be no evidence, factual or circumstantial to support that the Opteron was a 1.6 HE unti.
June 5, 2007 7:53:30 PM

Quote:

I heard that Syphilis is some bad sh!t. My condolences.
June 5, 2007 7:58:54 PM

I dunno if I can follow up on that last post. Good one SockPuppet.
June 5, 2007 7:59:57 PM

Quote:

Darn....that would be sweet. :) 
June 5, 2007 8:13:31 PM

Oh... come on down and smash my face.

Sandia National Labs
Kirtland AFB, NM

Just tell the SP's at the gate you're there to smash my face. They'll let you in...

If you want to swing by my house, here's the address:

June 5, 2007 8:19:09 PM

No shit. Thats right, I remember chating about Sedona with ya. Ever get to the CowGirl Bar in Santa Fe?
June 5, 2007 8:30:55 PM

no, but i know the bar. i don't get up to santa fe that much. they're building a commuter train between albq and santa fe... once that's finished i suspect i'll go up there more. the food it outstanding up there.

everytime i go up there though i see a star. last time i saw that chic from "crossing jordan" walkin' down the street. i saw don rumsfield too.
June 5, 2007 8:38:21 PM

Quote:

Looks like we have another GODJO. We know what happened to him. He is no longer with us. I guess I'll push you over the edge next.

Oh and if I get a chance, the SPs will see me. As will you.
June 5, 2007 8:39:02 PM

Quote:
Oh... come on down and smash my face.

Sandia National Labs
Kirtland AFB, NM

Just tell the SP's at the gate you're there to smash my face. They'll let you in...

If you want to swing by my house, here's the address:

I know where that house is at...it's like a 15-20 minute drive from my house. LOL
I live close to the CNM campus off of Universe and Irving.
June 5, 2007 8:56:24 PM

I don't really trust anything from Faud. I'm simply going to wait until something is released and see what the benchmarks say.
June 5, 2007 8:56:31 PM

Quote:

Looks like we have another GODJO. We know what happened to him. He is no longer with us. I guess I'll push you over the edge next.

Oh and if I get a chance, the SPs will see me. As will you.
I can't believe that baron is sad enough to go for that bait. Wow.
June 5, 2007 9:02:49 PM

I don't really trust anything from Faud. I'm simply going to wait until something is released and see what the benchmarks say.
June 5, 2007 9:27:36 PM

you live out in no man's land. i refuse to live out that far or in Rio Rancho. 1hr drive? no thanks.

it's nice out there though... u live in ventana ranch?
June 5, 2007 9:55:02 PM

Why were they "apparently" identical? Maybe because FUD didn't know what the specs were? And may I be informed of a Socket F (since they were supposedly identical in most aspects) 1.6GHz 2xxx part?
June 6, 2007 3:26:12 AM

Close to Ventana Ranch. Just about 2-3 miles from Rio Rancho. Live in Seville community, in a giant arroyo. Nice, huh? I have flood insurance just because of that fact. LOL.

It use to be no man's land, but with all the development around here, it's just plain nuts.

I just hope I still live here come August.
June 6, 2007 3:57:12 AM

I rode motorcycles as a kid all over that area (grew up in Placitas). It's amazing how the area has grown in the past few years. Each time I go back for work or a visit I'm just blown away by the growth on the west side.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you NMDante! I have some direct reports and friends still there and it sounds like things are a bit tense, hopefully you'll come through it unscathed.
June 6, 2007 4:05:51 AM

Yeah, it's a bit testy at work, nowadays. Some are getting just tired of being lead around by the nose, without any real definite idea if they should start looking for another job or not. It's not very pretty.

I'm hopeful, but that doesn't mean I won't get axed (I just need to use the Intel discounts as soon as I can...LOL).

Either way, I think this layoff will hurt the Westside of ABQ and Rio Rancho, a lot more than they realize.
June 6, 2007 4:07:39 AM

Is there any one posting on this thread not from Albuquerque?
June 6, 2007 4:11:40 AM

Quote:
Is there any one posting on this thread not from Albuquerque?

*raises hand*
well the climate here is not that far from Albuquerque anyway. I live very near to Chandler, AZ. :lol: 
its about 120F today
June 6, 2007 4:26:51 AM

yeah... southern arizona is just stupid with how hot it gets. nice thing is so long as ur under a tree it's actually not so bad. trick is finding one that's not a palm tree.... muahahah.
June 6, 2007 4:29:11 AM

Quote:
yeah... southern arizona is just stupid with how hot it gets. nice thing is so long as ur under a tree it's actually not so bad. trick is finding one that's not a palm tree.... muahahah.

humm a tree you say?
i would disagree with ye.

the wind blowing at you mostly like is at 40C. basically you sweat, even if you stand under a tree :twisted:
June 6, 2007 4:44:36 AM

Quote:

Its a next gen CPU. Again, one would hope it uses less power than the previous gen, regardless of core#, if the company producing it uses reduced power usage as a key corporate marketing point.

<<EDIT>>
Oh, and BTW, it turns out the power usage measurements in the link are worthless as they didnt note parameters.. only "full load"

Quote:

This says nothing of the clock speed or performance, only full load. The K10 could easily be benching slower, the same or faster than the K8. Given that, if it benches slower, the lower power usage means nothing. If its benching the same, thats good. Benching faster, so much the better.

With out specifics, then AMDs claim is so much more smoke and mirrors. It provides no factual, quantitative information while presenting the appearance of an improvement.
I'm preety sure Baron misread, because I remember seeing in vr-zone and fud that it was actually a 4 x 4 system (2 x 2 cores vs 1 quadcore )

and considering the "prescott" levels of the FX-60 I wouldnt be surprised.. o_O
June 6, 2007 4:50:41 AM

Quote:

Or one that's about to burst into flames. LOL

I know a few people who work in the Chandler fab. They were amazed that we had a parking garage, and we were shocked that they didn't. I would hate to see how hot their cars get in that blazing sun dried area.

120F...geezus H. That's just sick hot. Period.
June 6, 2007 5:00:09 AM

Quote:

But its a dry heat [/straight face]
June 6, 2007 5:54:30 AM

Quote:

But its a dry heat [/straight face]

I feel wimpy lol. Maybe its cuz i'm canadian, but it was 30c the otehr day and i was dieing. When its gets to 35c i have a little cry in the corner.

The hottest temp ever recorded in my city was 42c. Note these are without humidex. Humidity pushes into high 40s.... :cry: 
June 6, 2007 6:07:21 AM

Quote:

I know a few people who work in the Chandler fab. They were amazed that we had a parking garage, and we were shocked that they didn't. I would hate to see how hot their cars get in that blazing sun dried area.

I just slightly burned myself on the hands when I tried to steer my car out of the parking lot :wink: ...
it kind of feels good. no, really.
June 6, 2007 7:16:09 AM

Quote:

I just slightly burned myself on the hands when I tried to steer my car out of the parking lot :wink: ...

Well, I suppose it would feel good (but I don't see how...LOL).

I guess even a sunshade for the car might not help much, with 120F temperatures baking the car. I know when it hits high 90s low 100s here, I hate even thinking about going outside.
June 6, 2007 7:55:09 AM

Quote:

I guess even a sunshade for the car might not help much, with 120F temperatures baking the car. I know when it hits high 90s low 100s here, I hate even thinking about going outside.I could kiss the guy, who invented central air, right on the lips... :oops:  :oops:  LOL....yukkk...but i do think it's the best thing since sliced bread. :D 
June 6, 2007 4:02:19 PM

Quote:

I guess even a sunshade for the car might not help much, with 120F temperatures baking the car. I know when it hits high 90s low 100s here, I hate even thinking about going outside.I could kiss the guy, who invented central air, right on the lips... :oops:  :oops:  LOL....yukkk...but i do think it's the best thing since sliced bread. :D 

LOL, YES!!

We used to have those stupid window AC units, tehy were so stupid. I remember, even though i was like less than 10, having a big cooling set up for the damn house. Fans placed in special places, and they were those big fans, like 3 feet tall. ANd window fitting fans, and a few of the window AC things. And they were stupid, they did nothing. Had to stand in front of the damn thing pretty much to even feel the cold. And i also remember when someone i knew had theirs fall out the window onto their driveway... 8)
June 6, 2007 4:07:42 PM

Yes, central air is nice. I have it in my house.

Although it took me until just yesterday to realize that the vent to my computer room was closed (I close it during winter). Well, now that it's open, my system is a bit cooler (but I water cool, so it's not that much cooler).
!