MASSIVE Scythe Heatsink

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
8O WTF?!?
Ok CPU cooling has literally gone out the window. They're outta control! LoL
You really can't depend on the mobo pcb to hold that sucker can you? There must be case brackets somewhere.

G

Hey thanks for WB.

This is a freaking car RAD with heatpipe in the middle /I like!

ANd yeah, probably need a special case to hold it.

I dont kow how easy that stuff is mount...

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Wow. I am impressed with Scythe's attention to the "super enthusiast" crowd. That beast looks impressive!

Too bad it probably weighs like 40 lbs.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Throw some D's on it!!

I ride spinners!

All they need to do is chrome the fan out..LOL. Must be nice to have a heatsink that can double as a house fan too.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
They didn't mention the concrete-reinforce case and mobo they used...

But seriously, that's f*cking insane. I can't believe they'll actually release it though. Forget RAM, how will you fit a videocard under that?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Check the Thermalright section of that article, they have one that looks even bigger! There's a couple pics of an awesome looking radiator as well.

Is that actually a product they're going to release, or is it just an internal/experimental design, like Intel's 80 core cpu?

G

Usually at computex, Tech compangy show off future products. that being said I have some doubt this would make it into my case.

Thought I wouldn't be surprise if there is a lot of attention/press that they release a Variant. I just can'imagine how you would make it viable with this size! It probably need a custom case and have proper contact with the CPU with this beast is probably freaking hard!

The Thermalright Rad is beautifull!

I am also looking forward to see what the Tunniq Tower style cooler form Artic Cooling can do, looks nice. , look at the retention macanism, looks sturdy and clever, don't know if it applies the tension as evenly as a back plate...

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
If you look around in the next few pages you will see a pipe heatsink that actually fills up most of the case. It's actually designed to be a silent home theater system.

Darkk

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
**** ME! That's as big as a dinner plate! How would you vent the air out of your case? You'd have to remove the side of your case, or at least cut a hole large enough to amount to the same!

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
hmmm, might have to wait a few months before i decide on my aftermarket cpu coller after seeing this... can anyone say passivly cooled system on air...

might have to have the side of the case off though but hey i wont complain

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Passive cooling will be nice, but I still don't see how this is going to be practical, even if you manage to get it attached correctly. How the hell is a GeForce 8800 or Radeon HD 2900XT gonna fit under that?

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Passive cooling will be nice, but I still don't see how this is going to be practical, even if you manage to get it attached correctly. How the hell is a GeForce 8800 or Radeon HD 2900XT gonna fit under that?

nothing brute force hasn't been able to fix....

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006

Scythe could make the unit modular, so you could buy the main unit to cool the cpu, then buy attachments for the NB, SB, MOSFET's, GPU, ram ect., that connect to the rest of the hsf once they're mounted. You could use one hsf to cool the entire system!

Wow! That thing fills the entire case. Helps solve the issue of cooling the MOFSET and NB/SB.

What really caught my eye tho was the Ninja-Mini...interesting...I wonder how long it will take for that to seel on Newegg?

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

nothing brute force hasn't been able to fix....

If by brute force you mean using a hacksaw to cut your shiny new 8800Ultra down to size, sure...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
At this rate, temps won't matter. The only way we're going to be able to judge the worth of a hsf is how much heat it can handle. I mean, you can only go so low with air cooling, the ambient temp is the limit. In a couple years every hsf will probably be able to keep the cpu in their charge at ambient. The real question will be how much you can oc that cpu before the temps get out of hand.