Very naive please need help

dostanio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hello there,

I have Internet with virgin for those who know it, i am using a wireless route from linksys, now this happens to be unsecure everyone can acess it, i want to know how can i make it secure with a password so only the people at home can acces it. Sorry but my knowledge is very limited concerning networking, so can you please give the answer in simple language, thank you very much:)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you have the manual for the router, it should explain how to do this. If not, you should be able to get it on line. Basically, you go into the router through your browser, usually 192.168.?.?, enter the log in and password, and go to the security settings and enter the password. You'll then have to run the wireless connection wizard on the other computer(s) so you can enter the password. You can set up the security usually either WEP or WPA, the latter is more secure but you'll have to make sure your wireless cards can handle WPA, some older ones won't. Good idea to change the log in password as well. Hard to be more specific since each router can be different but this is essentially what you'll do.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Again, all that information should be in the router's manual or on the CD that came with the router. Frequently the manual is on the CD but again you can usually find it on the Lynksys web site for your particular model.