Problems opening attachments

I am using outlook express on a Windows XP machine. My problem is that on
unknown attachments I am not being prompted to choose which program I want to
use to open the file.
I would go into folder options to make the association but the file
extension is never the same, so that would be useless.
Is there somewhere I need to go or something I can change so that I get
prompted to choose which program to use to open these attachments?

Jason

shift-right click then select "Open With" and browse to the program you want
to open the file. If you want the same program to always open that file,
there is a checkbox you can click.

"JasonC" wrote:

> I am using outlook express on a Windows XP machine. My problem is that on
> unknown attachments I am not being prompted to choose which program I want to
> use to open the file.
> I would go into folder options to make the association but the file
> extension is never the same, so that would be useless.
> Is there somewhere I need to go or something I can change so that I get
> prompted to choose which program to use to open these attachments?
>
> Jason

It doesn't give me that option in XP, I used to be able to do that on ME. I
will double click on the attachment and I am asked to open or save it. I
choose to open it, and exxpect to be prompted with choosing the program to
use to open the file. Instead I get an error message