Monitor response times: 5ms vs 2ms

PhantomBlot

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Hi
I have been planning to buy a new monitor. I have managed to narrow down the list to two possibilities:

a) Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen Display, 2ms, 1680x1050
b) Samsung SyncMaster 245B 24",5ms, 1920x1200

The bigger is of course nicer but cost a bit more too. Now the question is that is there a big noticeable difference between 5ms screen and 2ms screen, and if so how big is the difference?

I plan to play games, watch DVDs and all kinds of stuff with the monitor.
Which one would be better for this purpose?

flooder

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I have a 19" Widescreen LCD with 8ms. I have played many different type of DVD movies on it and play many high-resolution games on it. Doom 3, Sniper Elite and Battlefield, Halo etc...with no problem. I think it is safe that you will have no problem with the 5ms respond time on your new monitor.

Here are my computer spec:
19" WS LCD 8ms respond
eVGA 860i Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz- 4MB Cache,
eVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB PCI-E Video Card,
WD 75 GB SATA Raptor HD + 2 (500 GB SATA HD)
4 Gig of RAM- OCZ
750 Watts PS by ThermalTake
18X SATA DVD-RW Plextor

bumster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I agree with the others here that you will be fine with either one as long as what they are referring to is black to black response time and not grey to grey. I believe black to black is how Samsung measures theirs. I have one of their 19s and it has been great with games and movies with a 8ms response time.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I agree with the others here that you will be fine with either one as long as what they are referring to is black to black response time and not grey to grey. I believe black to black is how Samsung measures theirs. I have one of their 19s and it has been great with games and movies with a 8ms response time.

Both of the monitors he listed is the grey to grey time NOT the black to black time. This is of no worry becuase this is unfortunately how more and more manufacturers are listing this specification to get lower response times and these numbers are still acceptable. Regardless that its grey to grey both monitors will still be fine and not ghost.

I'd definitely get the 24", there is no comparison between a 22 and a 24...

n00ber

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
If you do go for the 22" there is an LG model which is usually cheaper, same model just different brand sticker :)

model : LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF

I have order one of these myself and now just waiting delivery, if ur still looking next week i can give you a quick review. There is another model with out the -SF on the end usualy a couple pound cheaper, the only difference i think is the the above one complies with the TOC'03 standard.

Get the 24" if you can afford it and if your graphics card is an 8800 GTS 640 MB or GTX. The difference between 2 ms and 5 ms doesn't matter. The higher resolution will make your games nicer but it will require a powerful card.

BTW, Samsung makes great monitors, both choices are nice.