Corrupt or missing l_intl.nls file

slyghtofhand

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I am receiving an error that I have a corrupt or missing l_intl.nls file and have tried everything I can think of but nothing is working.

I put my XP disk in my cd-rom but CPU will not boot from Cd-rom so I changed my bios settings. Now it will ask me to press any key to boot from CD but the keyboard locks up before I am able to press a key so I get stuck with the same "corrupt or missing file" message.

I disconnected my hard drive and was able to run the Setup for windows XP but that does no good because I need the info off of my hard drive.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I am unable to get into recovery mode because of the issues listed above unless I am just missing something.

Please Help.

Thanks,
JC

slyghtofhand

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I have tried using both types. The USB keyboard locks up and the PS2 keyboard does not but still does nothing when I press a key to boot from CD.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
This is a two part problem... you need to boot from CD to get into the recovery console to fix the windows issue.

Obiously the keyboard will work to allow you to get into the BIOS, but not to boot from CD.

Have you tried going into the BIOS and making the CD the only bootable device? Set CD ROM as the first and only boot device and set all others as disabled.

This, will hopefully with some luck force the PC to boot from the CD without looking for any other bootable devices. Fingers crossed.

slyghtofhand

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Problem Fixed!

Here's what I did... I changed my BIOS settings to boot from only CDROM like you mentioned. It turns out that the XP disk I was using wasn't recognized as a boot disk, for whatever reason. I found an ISO image file of the recovery console and burned that to a CD using my laptop. I restarted my desktop cpu with the CD in and was able to get into the recovery console. I selected R and it ran and got me to a C:\ prompt. I then ran chkdsk c: /r and let it run all the way through (about an hour) and restarted my computer. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help.