Barcelona "on time", but Budapest slips

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
http://news.com.com/8300-10784_3-7-0.html

There is "no delay" for Barcelona, spokesman Phil Hughes said Tuesday. The chips, and some systems using the chips, will be available in the third quarter, he said.

However, Budapest shipments to Cray slipped. "Specific to Cray, we did have a change in our schedule, as far as when Cray gets Budapest parts," Hughes said, declining to share further specifics. Barcelona is designed for systems with two or more processor sockets, but Budapest is for single-socket systems.

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
good news

pretty picture

glacier_540x348.jpg

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://news.com.com/8300-10784_3-7-0.html

There is "no delay" for Barcelona, spokesman Phil Hughes said Tuesday. The chips, and some systems using the chips, will be available in the third quarter, he said.

However, Budapest shipments to Cray slipped. "Specific to Cray, we did have a change in our schedule, as far as when Cray gets Budapest parts," Hughes said, declining to share further specifics. Barcelona is designed for systems with two or more processor sockets, but Budapest is for single-socket systems.

I said that in the other post. I guess people will listen now.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If Budapest is delayed (as Mr. Hughes stated), how does this not affect Barcelona?

Point being, that both Barcelona and Budapest are based off the same architecture, why would a single socket CPU be delayed, while a multi-socket version (which needs tighter validation) not be delayed?

It sounds like Mr. Hughes gave a guarded answer, in my opinion. Which is fine, but when a single socket solution CPU is delayed, I still don't see how it won't affect the multi-socket version. Especially since they are based off the same architecture and process in the fab.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
If Budapest is delayed (as Mr. Hughes stated), how does this not affect Barcelona?

Point being, that both Barcelona and Budapest are based off the same architecture, why would a single socket CPU be delayed, while a multi-socket version (which needs tighter validation) not be delayed?

It sounds like Mr. Hughes gave a guarded answer, in my opinion. Which is fine, but when a single socket solution CPU is delayed, I still don't see how it won't affect the multi-socket version. Especially since they are based off the same architecture and process in the fab.

Kinda bizzarre. Its a bit early to announce delays....its not even Q3 yet. Why bother except to cover Crays announcement. K10 still has 110 days to show up, plenty of time. At least for a paper launch anyway.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Kinda bizzarre. Its a bit early to announce delays....its not even Q3 yet. Why bother except to cover Crays announcement. K10 still has 110 days to show up, plenty of time. At least for a paper launch anyway.

Yup, that's my thinking as well.

Budapest and Barcelona aren't scheduled for a Q2 release, but a Q3/Q4 release. So why announce a delay, if only to cover themselves, since Cray was first to state the obvious delay, which would've been linked to AMD.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Wait I know!

*Puts on Baron hat*

Obviously, AMD never tries to make a single socket product and they're treating Budapest like a Celeron/Duron of the days of yore. And since AMD is perfection, obviously they've had perfect yields on Barcelona for many many months and just can't find enough crappy resulting die to "launch" Budapest (remember, they need probably 10 chips in inventory to do an official "we have tons of product" launch).

Eh...I'm too negative lately. AMD can do it! Go go go! Make chips competative, so prices go lower....wait...prices went lower without new AMD products...hmmm...............

Give us multiple choices....actual choices, rather than "Am I going to be dumb...or am I going to buy the correct chip".

Ok, I kid. All joking aside, come on AMD, make it happen! Let's see Barcy...any form...please?