a gaming rig for about a grand?

TheOriginalSamoyed

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Well...I've basically melted my old rig due to overclocking and abuse and it's time to build a new gaming rig from the ground up. I've decided on a duo 6600 as the cpu but everything else is up in the air. I can't figure out what the best mobo is for me so I'm effectively stuck. Then, I need to figure out how much money I can sink into a new gpu. This rig is specifically for gaming so I really don't care about unrelated factors. I read the article on building a medium rig so I'm up to speed on that. Can anyone add their personal expertise to Tom's solution? I'm curious about what mobo is best for me. I'm not sure the medium rig's MSI board was the best call but what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

gattsuru

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'd advise waiting til the end of month, if possible, to purchase your CPU. Intel's supposed to drastically drop the q6600's prices, as well as other processors, making the e6600 cheaper or the quad-core version viable.

Most comparable motherboards won't really change things much -- we'd be talking minor points on a synthetic at best. I'd suggest sticking within the range of the Biostar TForce p965 to the ABIT AB9, and keep an eye out for any features you are interested in, such as extra IDE compatibility (to keep your existing drives) or preferred audio. I happen to like the MSI p965 and EVGA 650i simply because I've had luck with them so far. Don't go lower in price or your risk running into motherboards with less than reliable parts, or no real overclocking potential, and most higher priced boards aren't worth the costs at this budget.
There are some very good Open Box options available if you already have the cables, and don't mind a missing backplate and using online manuals.

RAM is cheap, and while you can spend a lot of time comparing them, this is really a matter of how much you're willing to spend. I don't see enough difference to justify going much past 2GB for ~110 USD, outside of a Vista environment where more is viable.

For video cards, it really depends. If you've got the money in your budget, an 8800 with a lotta RAM can probably last you a long, long time. That's probably only going to work if you keep your old drives, though, or are willing to stretch your budget. You can get a 7900GS for half that, and it'll play most modern games well at high standards, although I doubt it's Bioshock and Crysis- proof.

For PSUs, there are some pretty good 500 watters out there. It won't power a 8800GTX, or an SLI configuration, but you won't be getting to those on your budget <i>anyway</i>. Unless you've got a lot of spare drives, this guy seems to work fine for me. I don't see the point in spending an extra 40-50 USD for the extra wattage and interfaces that the Mid-Range build used unless you seriously plan to run SLI, which isn't viable on the p965 base.

For cases, I'd advise either the RaidMax X1 or (if you use the front-side ports a lot and prefer not seeing the insides of your computer) the CoolerMaster Centurion 5, both of which can be gained for 40-50 USD and work wonderfully. The Antec p180 is very, very quiet, refined, and easy to work with, hence the popular reviews... but it's also expensive, and for most people the results aren't enough to justify the cost.

Toss in an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 or a Zalman, depending on case.

TheOriginalSamoyed

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I'm not going to start ordering until the end of the month so I may check out that price drop you mention. Regardless, I may stretch out my budget for the 8800 gts. A gaming rig has to have a good card right? What do you think about 800 instead of 667 ram? I've heard it makes a big difference.

Would adding a extra benji or two change either one of your lineups?

I would change the mobo to the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3) for $100 with free shipping. That will shave $120 plus $7 shipping charges that the Asus P35 Deluxe will cost you. Total savings $127.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128042

I would also change the case to the COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black. It costs $10 less than the AeroCool case and there's no shipping charges which shaves off another $16 or a total of $26.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

Switching out those two components will net a total savings of $153. That can go directly into your pocket or you can use that to buy other components like a bigger hard drive.

If you wanna go for DDR2 800 RAM and overclock then use some of that savings for a good 3rd party HSF to cool down the CPU.

TheOriginalSamoyed

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Saving money is always a good thing. I do appreciate. So, as best as I can figure it, I'm going to get the 6600 and the 8800 gts. Those are fixed points. And, since this is strictly a gaming rig, I don't care about hd or any other bells and whistles for the mobo. I want to get it based strictly on performance and overclocking ability. Also, does it help if I said I just want a single gpu card setup? I want something that is going to last and be upgradable for future tech.

On a lighter side, my previous rig was a micron pc with an athlon thunderbird and a 5200 fx gpu. Talk about ancient. I could play bf2 on it with all the settings on low. But, I oc ko'ed it last month. Needless to say, I'm not carrying over any parts into my new rig. You think I'll notice a performance improvement from my new rig? lol.

I want something that is going to last and be upgradable for future tech.

If you are thinking about Conroe's successor, Penryn which shrinks the Core 2 Duo using the 45nm tech then you'll need to select a different motherboard that uses the P35 chipset (which just came out) because there is not guarantee that all motherboards using the P965 and 975X chipsets will be compatible with Penryn. Here's a list of P35 mobos:

Newegg list of P35 mobos.

On a lighter side, my previous rig was a micron pc.

Uggh!!!!!

I had a Micron PC. In fact, it was the first PC I ever bought back in 1996 which cost over $2,000. What a piece of crap. Lots of parts failed within a year. At different times I must add. Even the replacement parts failed within a year. After about two years I completely scrapped and I vowed never ever will I buy another namebrand PC. From 1998 I started to build my own PCs.

TheOriginalSamoyed

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for the info. Out of those mobos you've selected, except for the most expensive one, which one would be the best fit for me? I heard that asus boards run kinda hot. I am going to be a little conservative with my overclocking this time because I want my new rig to last.

As for the Micron PC, I agree. It was a piece of crap. Every part either had to be replaced or cleverly rigged to make it work. Its amazing how much that stuff cost back in the day. Just think, I'm spending alot less and am about to get a rig that is four times as fast. I started this process by looking at the Dell site just to get a barometer on desktop prices. After choosing a rig with various upgrades I was topping out at about $2,000. I went to newwegg and priced each part and my total was less than $1000. Its freakin unbelievable how much they charge for substandard rigs. But, there must be a market out there for it because they are doing quite well. In this case, ignorance is not bliss. I just wish I thought of building and overcharging rigs before they did. Instead of taking calculus and other useless subjects in college they should offer courses like how to ripoff the general public with substandard equipment and creative marketing. Heck, I would have stayed around and got a masters for that kind of education. Oh well, I digress.