e6600 Running Below Stock Speeds

castleking

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I put together my new machine a few days ago and to my horror, my e6600 is running at 1.6Ghz. In CPUZ every few seconds it will jump to the proper speed. In the bios I have everythign set to auto, (except I set multiplier to 9 manually) and intel speedstep disabled. In CPUZ I can see that the multiplier is at 6. Why is this? My motherboard is a P5K Deluxe p35.

http://www.freewebs.com/castleking/cpuzatx6.jpg

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I put together my new machine a few days ago and to my horror, my e6600 is running at 1.6Ghz. In CPUZ every few seconds it will jump to the proper speed. In the bios I have everythign set to auto, (except I set multiplier to 9 manually) and intel speedstep disabled. In CPUZ I can see that the multiplier is at 6. Why is this? My motherboard is a P5K Deluxe p35.

That's]http://www.freewebs.com/castleking/cpuzatx6.jpg
That's Intel's EIST(Speedstep technology). In times of low CPU usage, the multiplier drops to 6(to save power), and when CPU power is needed....it will adjust back to the original multi(in your case...9x) instantaneously. It's a good feature, but if it bugs you, you should be able to disable it in your BIOS. GL :)

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Well that sure sounds like Speedstep, and yes I read the part where you said it's turned off, but that's exactly what it does. Sometimes there are more than 1 BIOS entry for it like 'enhanced eist' and 'c1e halt', but I haven't seen the BIOS for your board. Sorry I can't tell you more, other than please re-check for speedstep. Have you tried a CPU intense load like Orthos or Prime95? If it is Speedstep as I suspect you should see the multi go back to 9 and stay there when the CPU is under load.

I hope this isn't just Asus saying "congratulations for beta testing a P35 board, we'll fix that later".

Edit: Also, I leave speedstep on for my computer. I don't know why everybody complains about this feature. Oh no - my CPU dropped back to idle like it's a stock E6420 (366*6 = 2.2 GHz), what will I do???

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Maybe you could try switching the power scheme in windows to Always on or something. To disable Speed Step, disable both in bios and windows.