Sign in with
Your question

120mm - Yate Loon vs. Antec Tri-Cool - Which is Better??

Last response: in Overclocking
June 6, 2007 3:41:20 AM

I have an Antec P180 that came with all Antec Tri-Cool fans. I also have an extra Tri-Cool fan on my heatsink.

Would it be worth it to replace these with Yate Loon fans? The Antecs are quiet at low setting, but at medium and high the sound bugs me. Will the Yate Loons be a bit more quiet?

Also, so as not to start another topic, can anyone recommend a good fan controller? I would like to be able to control all the case fans, like turning them to high when Im gaming, and back to low when Im not. Right now Im just opening the side panel and using the switches on the fans.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2007 3:08:01 AM

After doing about 4 - 5 months of research on fans last year, I decided to buy the Yate Loons.

No regrets.
Related resources
June 7, 2007 8:33:50 AM

Yates FTW! I swear, everyone on XS uses them.
Once I order my H20 system (soon), I'll have them to.
June 7, 2007 9:13:01 AM

I've recently been investigating this same question...

You didn't say whether you were trying to make it more quiet than Tri-Cools on low or trying to get more air-flow without turning the Tri-Cools up to medium, but in my case (ahem), I'm looking for something quieter than Tri-Cools on low, without sacrificing air-flow.

So far, much to my dismay, I haven't been able to find recordings of the low-speed YLs, but here's some attempt at figuring out this situation...

1a. Yate Loon D12SL-12

~1350 rpm @12v

As mentioned, I haven't yet found recordings for this specific fan, so the link above is just to the cheapest price I've found on them :) . Another good price/deal can be found here (same deal on the all-black ones, slghtly different deal on the all-orange ones and the blue-LED ones).

1b. Antec Tri-Cool 120 (on low)

~870 rpm @5v

I assume you're familiar with the sound, but just so you can calibrate your speaker volume, there's a recording at that link.

2. Nexus D12SL-12

1000 ~ 1080 rpm @12v
850 rpm @9v <-- similar rpm to Antec @5v

These fans are made by Yate Loon, but they run a bit lower rpm (quieter, less air-flow)

3. Yate Loon D12SM-12

1650 ~ 1640 rpm @12v
1130 rpm @7v <-- similar rpm to YL D12SL @ 9-12v range
860 rpm @5v <-- similar rpm to Antec @ 5v

Note that this is the medium speed YL fan, so you'd have to undervolt it to get down to the Antec low speed range. Also, unfortunately, the particular fan SPCR tested is obviously damaged and has a ticking sound, so the recording must be taken with a grain of salt. Also note that the link for this fan is a separate review from the previous link of the Nexus and Antec fans. For the D12SM-12 link, they are revising thier air-flow measurement method, so you can't really correlate those cfm readings to the other ones.

4. mCubed X12

1750 ~ 1607 rpm @12v (measured rpm is less than rated)
1096 rpm @7v <-- similar rpm to Nexus @12v
835 rpm @5v <-- similar rpm to Antec @5v

The mCubed X12 is also made by YL and while the manufacturer's rating is 1750 rpm, it was measured at 1600 rpm, so it's probably the D12SM-12 fan. I listed it here, to give a better idea of what the YL 'should' sound like, at various speeds (without the ticking). The MADSHRIMPS review recordings and dBA measurements are done differently, but also includes the Nexus fan used in the SPCR review, so that should help figure out those differences.

...note that you also can't really compare cfm ratings between the two SPCR reviews, let alone between the two sites, but my general impression is that the YL fan may need to spin a bit faster than the Antec fan to get the same air-flow. Fortunately, the YL fan has a smoother sound quality/footprint than the Antec fan, so you should be able to let it spin faster without sacrificing sound level/quality.

The other fan that can be found on both sites that looks (and sounds) promising is the Papst 4412 series, but they're a bit harder to find and cost more than the YLs.

Anyway, I have ordered 3 of the Yate Loon D12SL-12 (orange/black) fans so I guess I'll find out in a few days.
June 7, 2007 10:09:52 AM

Quote:
I have an Antec P180 that came with all Antec Tri-Cool fans. I also have an extra Tri-Cool fan on my heatsink.

Would it be worth it to replace these with Yate Loon fans? The Antecs are quiet at low setting, but at medium and high the sound bugs me. Will the Yate Loons be a bit more quiet?

Also, so as not to start another topic, can anyone recommend a good fan controller? I would like to be able to control all the case fans, like turning them to high when Im gaming, and back to low when Im not. Right now Im just opening the side panel and using the switches on the fans.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Sound comes not as much from a brand of fan or RPM as it does from TURBULANCE.

If a fan is close to an obstuction it has that "air dam" problem.

This same concept is why cutting/remove a case's exit fan cover/guard will give as much as 70% + better air flow even though your not cutting away 70% obstuction.

Remove/cut the case exit fan guards for -far- better cooling and less sound.
June 12, 2007 10:11:10 PM

Quote:
Another good price/deal can be found here (same deal on the all-black ones, slghtly different deal on the all-orange ones and the blue-LED ones).

i'll never order anything from nexfan again, no matter how good the deal is....

i placed an order for 3 D12SL-12, a single S-Flex F, and a 2.5g tube of Ceramique. after 3 emails, a phone call, a threatening letter from my lawyer and 6 weeks i got the Yate Loons that were mysteriously 'out of stock', yet not stated as such on the website, only to find a letter in the box saying the S-Flex were now 'out of stock'. 3 more emails and 2 more weeks and the S-Flex has yet to arrive. nevermind the fact that the 2.5g tube of Ceramique was accidentally forgotten 'due to a death in the family' and is supposedly going to be shipped with the S-Flex. do you think i'll ever see the S-Flex, Ceramique, or a refund?

these same issues have been reported by other folks at other sites regarding nexfan and i chose to ignore them, seeing that 2 previous orders went fine. buyer beware!
June 12, 2007 11:47:19 PM

Yate Loons FTW! I mean, seriously, for $3.50 they can't be beat.
June 16, 2007 1:11:17 PM

Quote:

In denmark a D12SL costs $6.80 :( 
June 16, 2007 1:16:53 PM

Quote:

But I bet you can buy Sharkoon Golfballs (Silent Eagle) for less than we have to pay ($13/$15/$19 for 80/92/120).
June 16, 2007 1:20:48 PM

Quote:

But I bet you can buy Sharkoon Golfballs (Silent Eagle) for less than we have to pay ($14-$18 each).

I cant finde theese "goldballs", but there's some names Silent Eagle, and they looks like golfballs.

http://shorterlink.com/?QXANV9
June 16, 2007 1:23:20 PM

Quote:

But I bet you can buy Sharkoon Golfballs (Silent Eagle) for less than we have to pay ($14-$18 each).

I cant finde theese "goldballs", but there's some names Silent Eagle, and they looks like golfballs.

Yes, the Silent Eagles (they have golfball dimpled fan blades)... I'm not familiar with the exchange rate though.. is that a good price?
June 16, 2007 1:25:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, the Silent Eagles (they have golfball dimpled fan blades)... I'm not familiar with the exchange rate though.. is that a good price?

They cost between 66kr - 131 kr = 11.49$ - 22.81$
June 16, 2007 1:30:27 PM

Quote:

They cost between 66kr - 131 kr = 11.49$ - 22.81$

Ahh... I didn't list the price for the LED versions here, but it sounds like they are a little cheaper there at least. Take a look at the 120mm 2000rpm version on these charts. Looks like a great fan to put on a controller... throttled down for quietness, or up, if you need the juice. I have one of the 1000rpm ones - very quiet.
June 16, 2007 2:25:54 PM

Golfball dimpled fanblades? That sounds like a marketing scheme to me, though it is just plausible enough that I would like to know what effect it has on performance and sound.

Re: OP

I'd take the Yate Loons over the Antec Tri-cool any day. I replaced one tri-cool with two Yate Loons and the noise level of my pc went down, while cooling improved.
June 16, 2007 2:57:26 PM

Quote:
Golfball dimpled fanblades? That sounds like a marketing scheme to me, though it is just plausible enough that I would like to know what effect it has on performance and sound.

Yeah (sorry for the hijack, btw), it may be as much marketing as anything else, but here's the blurb from thier website:

"In comparison with conventional fans the unique surface structure of the Silent Eagle allows an improved airflow - at the same rotation speed. This principle is based on the surface texture of a golf ball, which helps to reduce air resistance and turbulence, resulting in particularly quiet operation while maximizing airflow volume. "

...as I mentioned, the 1000rpm fan is basically inaudible as a front fan in my P182 case.. at least I can't hear it over the tri-cools on low (my YLs finally arrived, so I'll be replacing the tri-cools when I get a chance). Anyway, according to that review I linked, the 2000rpm golfball looks to be one of the best "cooling a cpu" fans available (I think he was using a Big Typhoon for testing), relative to it's noise level.

Interestingly, it appears that Zaward is also moving to a golfball design on some up-coming products (I dunno if they're getting the fans from Sharkoon or not).

Edit: MADSHRIMPS has a review of the 1000 and 2000 120mm fans, compared to a GlobalWin NCB and the Noctua fans here (if you're a Noctua 'fan', you might want to grab a tissue before getting to the heatsink cooling results :)  ).
June 25, 2007 7:02:08 PM

Hi folks! I have a question about the Yate Loon fan, specifically the LED one, that I'm hoping someone can answer: I note that it has both the standard 3-pin fan header and a Molex pass-through on it. Do they both need to be connected to get both fan and light? My current Antec fan needs the 3-pin for the fan itself and the Molex for the LED, but the Antec in the front of my case (which is a Super Lanboy) only needs the 3-pin connected to accomplish both.

Thanks for any help!

-- Chris
June 27, 2007 4:47:42 AM

I bought the Yate Loons to replace the Antecs in my 180B. The top and rear fan were both replaced and I later added a front fan in the center hard drive section. The Antecs were run on low speed while the Yate Loons just plain run since I do not have a fan controller. Comparing the two setups the Antecs were clearly quieter although that is not what I would have expected from all the reviews. But then not having a controller obviously means that the Yates are running faster than the Antecs. I cannot see any difference in cooling either. And I bought my Yates from Nexfan during one of their promotions and they threw in the screws for free.
June 27, 2007 5:49:06 AM

Quote:
I bought the Yate Loons to replace the Antecs in my 180B. The top and rear fan were both replaced and I later added a front fan in the center hard drive section. The Antecs were run on low speed while the Yate Loons just plain run since I do not have a fan controller. Comparing the two setups the Antecs were clearly quieter although that is not what I would have expected from all the reviews. But then not having a controller obviously means that the Yates are running faster than the Antecs. I cannot see any difference in cooling either. And I bought my Yates from Nexfan during one of their promotions and they threw in the screws for free.

Yeah, I just did the same... and basically agree with your results. The YL setup is a bit louder than the Tri-Cools (on low) setup, but not annoyingly so. Of course each YL is running at ~1350rpm and the Tri-Cools on low were running at ~870rpm, so that's nearly 500rpm per fan difference.

In my particular situation, I did (subjectively) see a few C drop in "System", "CPU" and "Core" temps (maybe 2C on each). I kinda wish I'd taken the time to do some more extensive and controlled testing before and after the change-over, but that's my general impression.
June 27, 2007 5:54:45 AM

Quote:
Hi folks! I have a question about the Yate Loon fan, specifically the LED one, that I'm hoping someone can answer: I note that it has both the standard 3-pin fan header and a Molex pass-through on it. Do they both need to be connected to get both fan and light? My current Antec fan needs the 3-pin for the fan itself and the Molex for the LED, but the Antec in the front of my case (which is a Super Lanboy) only needs the 3-pin connected to accomplish both.

Thanks for any help!

-- Chris

Are you sure that the Antec needs both to get the LED working? Anyway, my guess is that you should only ever need one or the other, but not both.

(then again, I don't buy LED fans, so I don't know for sure, but hooking up both 'could' potentially cause problems if it wasn't designed for that)
June 27, 2009 4:27:29 PM

Spanki said:
So far, much to my dismay, I haven't been able to find recordings of the low-speed YLs, but here's some attempt at figuring out this situation...

Why not? SilentPCReview posts high quality recordings of all noise making products reviewed. You can recordings of the low speed 120mm YL here -- along with many other 120mm fans -- each on its own page. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article739-page1.html
a c 86 K Overclocking
June 27, 2009 7:05:26 PM

Thread revival!!!!
!