Windows does not shut down but keeps on starting up

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Windows shuts off,As if it has no power, windows does not shut down. But it restarts even with out being prompted to. At times when it happened say 3 times with timing of about 30 minutes or so. My screen does not start up when windows turns on(start up). Please if any one has a solution or probaple cause I would really like to know. The windows troubleshooter for shutting down or start up problems does not give the symptoms for my pc.

dlthai

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
This sounds like a hardware problem.

You are either losing power momentarily, or having a catastrophic hardware error, such as base RAM, which shuts off the system. The system then re-boots automatically.

Try re-seating the RAM, and all connectors inside the box.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I will try it, but for me it is all in a foreign language. I don't understand ram. What does it do? I am just starting to learn about my pc. When it comes to hardware I really don't know anything. (the last time I did anything with the hardware of a pc, I had to take it in for repairs) But I did change the power cord. Even reinstalled windows thinking that is where the problem lies. I had the habbit of playing sims 2. Before reinstalling windows sims did not open, but crashed(one of the reasons for reinstalling windows) Thinking a virus caused it ran the antivirus. Did do scandisk. Defragmented. the funny thing is that there is no error report to send. It's as if the pc doesn't read that there is a problem, and a serious one at that.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I will try it, but for me it is all in a foreign language. I don't understand ram. What does it do? I am just starting to learn about my pc. When it comes to hardware I really don't know anything. (the last time I did anything with the hardware of a pc, I had to take it in for repairs) But I did change the power cord. Even reinstalled windows thinking that is where the problem lies. I had the habbit of playing sims 2. Before reinstalling windows sims did not open, but crashed(one of the reasons for reinstalling windows) Thinking a virus caused it ran the antivirus. Did do scandisk. Defragmented. the funny thing is that there is no error report to send. It's as if the pc doesn't read that there is a problem, and a serious one at that.

dlthai

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Error reports rely on there being a stable base hardware environment. If you have a power problem or failing RAM, it will just die.

If you are not comfortable "inside the box" I suggest you take it to a repair shop. They will be able to pinpoint the problem easily.

I take it that you have tried another power socket.........

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Yes. I changed the power cable and the plug. If I did not know any better I would think it overheats and that is why the pc reboot for that moment. But when I touch it ,it doesn't feel warm. On warmer days the problem is worse. I did open it and cleaned out all the dust, but maybe I should do it again. (Just to make sure it is cleaned thoroughly) and as you mentioned I am gonna check all the connections.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Hi,
I installed speedfan and this is the info I got. Temp 1 35c, temp 52 c(picture of flame), Temp 3 40c, HDO 29c, Temp 1 38c. So does this mean something is overheating? I would suspect so. I turned my pc on and within a minute or two this was the reading it gave.

If 52 is as high as it gets, that's not bad. If you see temps peaking closer to 70C or 75C, then you have a problem. You can use speedfan to turn all your fans up, if they aren't already. That may help bring the temps down a little.

Your temps seem fine, so I would start looking at the PSU. What are your system specs?

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

After cleaning it with compressed air the temp dropped to 32c. I will send my system specs a little later as I don't know all of the info.