A noob asking a noob E4300 question.

erage

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
First of all hey im new here. Hi everybody.

Ok so i have an ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard bought alreayd so im gonna try to use that but I still have to buy a E4300.

I got the choice between these two.
Intel Core2 Duo E4300 1.80GHz / 2MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Conroe / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor

Intel Core2 Duo E4300 1.80GHz / 2MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Allendale / Dual Core / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan (Retail)

First i've hear bad things about the OEM types like them not being able to overclock as high. Also whats the difference between Conroe and Allendale?

Penryn

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
e4300 is always allendale, if it's listed as conroe its wrong

allendale is physically only have 2mb cache and some features taken out like virtualization and vPro or something like that. you don't need them

also with oem, its basically the same thing, but you don't get the fancy retail packaging and the heat-sink-fan

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
There is no Conroe E4300. E6x00 CPU's are Conroes, E4x00 CPU's are Allendales.

OEM means the bare CPU: no HSF, no manual, no nice box, and probably no sticker to put on your case. Warranty may be different too. Other than than, it's the same chip. OEM will be cheaper, and if you will overclock you'll probably be using a 3rd-party cooler anyways, so you're not losing much (I do believe using a non-stock HSF also voids your warranty, but I don't know how the people at Intel will figure out you didn't use the stock one).

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Wipe it with a coffee filter. They'll never know. And the warranty only specifies that you must use the stock HSF. They don't put any limitations on whether or not you have to use the thermal pad on the stock HSF, so they can't void your warranty for using AS5.

Damn, I should become a lawyer.