WinXP Reinstall Question

My wife's computer crashed and I reinstalled windows xp.

I'm in the process of setting up her microsoft outlook email and was
going to import her old pst file. However, xp will not let me access
the old directory under "Documents and Settings". This means that I
cannot access her old "My Documents" folder or any other folder for
that matter.

Is there a way to access the old file folders? I'm not given a
password prompt - just an "access denied" message box.

The directory structure after the reinstall looks like this:

- Documents and Settings
- All Users
- All Users.WINDOWS

The last install appended the .WINDOWS to the original directory
names.
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp reinstall question

    Bud wrote:
    > My wife's computer crashed and I reinstalled windows xp.
    >
    > I'm in the process of setting up her microsoft outlook email
    > and was going to import her old pst file. However, xp will
    > not let me access the old directory under "Documents and
    > Settings". This means that I cannot access her old "My
    > Documents" folder or any other folder for that matter.
    >
    > Is there a way to access the old file folders? I'm not
    > given a password prompt - just an "access denied" message
    > box.
    >
    > The directory structure after the reinstall looks like this:
    >
    > - Documents and Settings
    > - All Users
    > - All Users.WINDOWS
    >
    > The last install appended the .WINDOWS to the original
    > directory names.

    You may have to take ownership of the files. Take a look here
    for
    the procedure:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    FYI, when you reinstalled Windows you created a second
    installation that's why you see .WINDOWS added to those
    folders.

    Nepatsfan

    Hi Bud,

    Follow the instructions in this MSKB article in order to take ownership of
    the old directory:

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Bud" <post@mpwb.grp> wrote in message
    > My wife's computer crashed and I reinstalled windows xp.
    >
    > I'm in the process of setting up her microsoft outlook email and was
    > going to import her old pst file. However, xp will not let me access
    > the old directory under "Documents and Settings". This means that I
    > cannot access her old "My Documents" folder or any other folder for
    > that matter.
    >
    > Is there a way to access the old file folders? I'm not given a
    > password prompt - just an "access denied" message box.
    >
    > The directory structure after the reinstall looks like this:
    >
    > - Documents and Settings
    > - All Users
    > - All Users.WINDOWS
    >
    > The last install appended the .WINDOWS to the original directory
    > names.

    Thanks Nepatsfan and Patti - I'm back in business.

    You're welcome :-)

    Regards,

    --

    > Thanks Nepatsfan and Patti - I'm back in business.

Microsoft Outlook Windows XP