Your question

Possible xp lost PW virus

Tags:
  • Virus
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 15, 2009 4:14:34 PM

hey, okay here's the problem I am having. A friend of mine is having a problem where he cant log into his computer. But he told me that he did not create a password for the computer. It also has a password on the admin account as well when I go through safe mode. So I took he hard drive out and set it up as a slave on another computer and scanned with nod32 and found and clean virus's. Still asks for a password. i tried ophcrack and it could not crack it. Tried offline password and that did not work either. Only thing I can think of is that maybe someone else put a password on it without him knowing it. Anyone possibly ever hear of a virus or something thats done this before.

More about : lost virus

June 15, 2009 5:47:18 PM

Did you make a note of the Viruses found?
If so a few minutes with Google should shed light on what they do and how to rapair any damage done.
Related resources
June 16, 2009 12:32:37 AM

im trying to use ebcd but its looking for an ide drive but the drive is an sata drive. no i didnt take noe of the viruses found, wish i did. looks like nod32 cleaned it all out tho. any other ideas?
June 16, 2009 8:49:27 PM

still asking for n pw, im stumped
September 20, 2009 3:27:48 PM

Go get this program:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

If you review this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/241036-45-cannot you will see that I had a very similar program. YOUR post lead me to OPHCRACK, and searching on that phrase ultimately led me to the password editor and it EASILY allowed me to delete the password. I'm back into my system for the first time in almost 2 months.

This board is great - what an incredible resource.
September 20, 2009 7:50:57 PM

million3g said:
hey, okay here's the problem I am having. A friend of mine is having a problem where he cant log into his computer. But he told me that he did not create a password for the computer. It also has a password on the admin account as well when I go through safe mode. So I took he hard drive out and set it up as a slave on another computer and scanned with nod32 and found and clean virus's. Still asks for a password. i tried ophcrack and it could not crack it. Tried offline password and that did not work either. Only thing I can think of is that maybe someone else put a password on it without him knowing it. Anyone possibly ever hear of a virus or something thats done this before.

-What scanner did you use to scan for viruses?
-Just because it removes the virus doesn't mean the damage will be undone...
August 23, 2011 10:13:10 AM

million3g said:

You can reset Windows 7 password with password reset disk if you have one created in advance. If not, you can use Windows Login Recovery software to recover your password. Free trial of Windows Login Recovery is available on its website. You can search Windows Login Recovery in Google.
http://www.windowsloginrecovery.com/windows-7-password-...
February 6, 2012 4:16:04 AM

You have a few options.

1) boot into safe mode and see if the hidden administrator account has a password set or not (alot of people forget to set it). once you get in you can create yourself a new user.

2) An ERD disk would work if you have one.

3) If you have an install disk you can also do a repair install which will ask you for a new admin password but won’t delete the other programs on the machine.

4) downloadable crack programs like those listed here :http://www.ilikemall.com/guide/reset-windows-7-password.html
!