Shouldnt my laptop have come with a recovery disk?

elizabeth_15

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hi can someone please help me ,,,My laptop which is an hp windows vista just went black one day and I took it where I bought it at best buy, they were as useless as can be, literally all this gum smacking jerk said was "it looks like it needs a recovery disk" and I thought maybe since I bought it there just a little over a year he would have been more help, I don't even know how to get a recovery disk, I'm thinking for the 1500.00 I paid for this thing maybe it should have come with one?? But I don't know how to even go about this, so I went to one of those rent a center type places and rented a laptop just so I could work but I can't pay 100 a month for this, can someone please just tell me, what I should do next, thank you in advance ,,,,elizabethpopma@yahoo.com or elizabethpopma on facebook ,,,,,,,???? thank you again

In a lot of instances, the recovery CD is available for purchase seperately. HP did not include the recovery CD with the notebook I helped a friend purchase recently. Also, I repaired a HP laptop about a month ago and had to order the recovery disk/w OS online.

elizabeth_15

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

thank you so much.....it just seems they should include them, I mean I would even be willing to pay the $20 up front, it seems it would have created a lot less problems for the consumer and the whatever you call um lol (brain freeze) consume" ;) you know what I mean?

A recovery partition is used a lot these days. An area of the system's hard drive has all the recovery/installation files stored there. Someone may know the keys to use start that recovery process if available on your notebook. I'm not familiar, but you might try booting the system and pressing the F8 key. If 'recovery partition' is an option from there, choose it to revert the system back to the day it left the plant.

Edit. A little research into HP tells me hit the F11 key on boot up to access the recovey partition with Vista system.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Elizabeth, all they want these days is your money, once they have it they could care less.
Most these days have a recovery partition on the drive from which you can make your own set of disks. I'm sure that most customers if asked would prefer to pay a few dollars extra for a set of recovery disks, after all they would add little to the cost of a computer.
The $20 includes postage and handling which would not be needed if the disks were in the package.
The problem is the cost of disks they are not spending over the number of computers amounts to Millions of dollars they don't lay out which earns them money and to hell with the customer, let them pay extra.

Yeah, I helped someone buy a HP laptop recently. Best Buy offered to make recovery disks for a price, I don't remember $40 dollars maybe? I said no. So, do I need to make a bootable disk from the recovery files on the recovery partition? Save me some time perhaps.

Edit. I originally planned to use Acronis True Image and do a clone of the HD, but she left town before I had the chance. When I see her later this year I plan to do a backup of the system. I would like to make the system recovery disks for her.

I would like to use the recovery partition files and try and make a bootable recovery disk with imageburn. What do you think, will it make a successful bootable system recovery disk?

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I have been working with some Toshiba laptops and they have been comming with a recovery partition and using Arconis to restore the laptop, but yes most if not all laptop manufacturers will have a Recovery Disk which can either be ordered or can be downloaded.