Sign in with
Your question

How to recognize memory timings ?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
June 6, 2007 9:01:49 AM

my friend wanted to buy 1 gig of DDR2 800. How do i read the timings (i mean the latency timings) of memory while buying ???

Vinod
June 6, 2007 9:22:34 AM

Quote:
my friend wanted to buy 1 gig of DDR2 800. How do i read the timings (i mean the latency timings) of memory while buying ???

Vinod
They're either printed on the packaging, or there's(most times) a sticker on the module with the timings on it. If these are lacking(which is often the case with value-ram), you would have to go to the manufacturers website. If you don't have that access at the time, or they don't publish the timings on their site....you're S.O.L...and i would be tempted to stay away from them. :wink:
Related resources
June 6, 2007 1:33:22 PM

Quote:

Vinod

he can run cpuz small software utility, it will give him the factory programmed timings and also the manufacture website as noted above
June 6, 2007 1:53:33 PM

I think the OP is asking how to determine the timings of chips he doesn't physically possess... CPUZ is great, but I doubt that's going to help him with his pre-purchase decision making. NewEgg is generally good about posting the timings of its memory products.
June 6, 2007 2:09:27 PM

Quote:
I think the OP is asking how to determine the timings of chips he doesn't physically possess... CPUZ is great, but I doubt that's going to help him with his pre-purchase decision making. NewEgg is generally good about posting the times of its memory products.

I read to quick and thought he was purchasing from a friend..., either way I also noted he could get those timings from the manufacture website...
June 6, 2007 11:04:25 PM

w - CPUZ and similar utilities will only provide the SPD info, not the true max speed/latency rating backed by the manufacturer.

For the OP, be sure to get the spec voltage for the speed/latency settings, since those settings are only guaranteed at the given spec voltage.
!