Euro CoH : HeroStats forbidden to mention in the boards

Hi

Are the Euro CoH forum admins nuts or what? Somebody from NCSoft posted
in the German boards that HEroStats (he didn't mention the tool by name,
but the corresponding threads in the forums are gone now) is considered
a forbidden tool and postings about it will be deleted from now on.

WTF? What are they up to? Is that their idea of satisfying the user? Did
this happen in the English, French, and US boards as well?

~T.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:54:22 +0200, Thomas Adams
<thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are the Euro CoH forum admins nuts or what? Somebody from NCSoft
> posted in the German boards that HEroStats (he didn't mention the
> tool by name, but the corresponding threads in the forums are gone
> now) is considered a forbidden tool and postings about it will be
> deleted from now on.

> WTF? What are they up to? Is that their idea of satisfying the
> user? Did this happen in the English, French, and US boards as
> well?

It hasn't *yet*, but it may well happen sometime soon. It's not
surprising. On the American boards, it's already been explained that
it's verboten to discuss

- map patchs
- replacing annoying looping sounds with empty audio files
- using pigg viewers and other tools to sneak peeks at game graphics
files

because these all fall under the "no derivative works" and "no reverse
engineering" clauses of the EULA. (More realisticly, it's because
doing some of these things may mess up one's game install, in ways
that Cryptic doesn't want to be called on to fix; therefore, to avoid
the appearance that they support using these works, they forbid their
discussion on the coh.com boards.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:05:40 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:

> - map patchs

Are these worth looking for ?

And what's with all the carrots ?

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>> - map patchs

> Are these worth looking for ?

Go to www.vidiotmaps.com, download the CoH map patch, install it, and go
look around. If you don't like it, delete the files. I predict you won't.
I'll bet you 250k Inf that you don't. :)

All the "patch" does is install files that the game will look at in
preference to the integrated ones. No modifications at all. You can simply
delete the files and you're back to OEM.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:23:46 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:05:40 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
> wrote:
>
> > - map patches
>
> Are these worth looking for ?

If they're the ones from http://www.vidiotmaps.com then definitely.
They fix so many omissions from the game maps it's not even funny.

--

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:55:44 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:23:46 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:05:40 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > - map patches
>>
>> Are these worth looking for ?
>
>If they're the ones from http://www.vidiotmaps.com then definitely.
>They fix so many omissions from the game maps it's not even funny.

Thanks for both replies, and the link - getting the big bundle now.
:)

And what's with all the carrots ?