TCPIP tweaking

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Is there any utils to tweak TCPIP for Linux ? I find my internet speed is quite abit slower with Linux compared to when I boot to Win98.

AMD Thunderbird 1000 266 FSB
ASUS A7V133 (KT133A)
256 Megs SDRAM PC133
ASUS V7100 Geforce2 MX
Realtek RTL8029 NIC - Net via Cable
D-Link DFE-538TX NIC - LAN via Surecom EP-808X-A 8 Port N-way switch
17" Sceptre Dragon Eye D73A Monitor
30 Gig Quantum Fireball 7200 UDMA100 - Win98
20 Gig Maxtor 7200 IDE - Linux Mandrake 8.0
ATX Full Tower & 300 Watt PS
ACER X40 CD-ROM
Panasonic 8x4x32 CDRW
SB Live! Value
Altec Lansing ACS 33 Speakers & Sub

Thanks,
-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I've found that the best tweaking tool for Linux TCP/IP is your command line. :wink:

Seriously.

Look in /proc/sys/net/ipv4, and you'll see a whole bunch of files. Those are pretty much all of your tunable TCP/IP parameters.

Seems odd that Linux would be slower out of the box though. What distro/kernel version are you using? What services do you have running? What does "ps -aux" tell you?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I have the same problem, my pages load a lot slower when I boot into linux than in windows, but my downloads are just as fast so the connection speed isnt the problem, it may be a problem with the browser, I tried conquerer and netscape- bot of which are crap in my opinion, I will see if I can get a better browser, I hate to say this but Internet explorer in my opinion is very good.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
The solution to both your problems may be: Opera!

It's an excellent browser that's available free and I think is the best for Linux, and second best on Windows! It's really fast, faster than IE and NN on Windows, at least.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Actually, my browsing is fine, but my downloads are bad. Under Windoze, I can download a 100 meg file from my ISP's speedtest site @ 150-250 k/sec +. With MDK 8.0 I get 75-100!

Think its time to look at MTU or driver.
-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
I have Opera 5. Its ok, but I don't see the browsing speed that they claim. I also don't like the Ads running on the top right. I have not tried the download with it tho. Maybe I'll try tomorrow. If its good I'll brows with Kon & Mazola
and DL with opera. I do think a better browser has yet to be written.

-N-

G

You could try tweaking the card settings, maybe the receive window size. Some info is in the Ethernet-HOWTO. I read that the ne2k-pci is supposed to be slow compared to others anyway.

<off-topic>For folks using modems and pppd, some tuning can be done with MTU and MRU switches in the /etc/ppp/options file.</off-topic>

Re the browser thing, my preference is Galeon. Seems pretty quick. I've had problems with Opera not loading pages - and i hate ad-ware! Galeon lets you use the Gnome Transfer Manager (GTM) for downloads, which may be a bit faster or more convenient.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
maybe I'll try opera, I dont really like netscape or conquerer, netscape doesnt show most of the pages properly, and conqurer crashes when i visit a site with anything more than text and a couple of jpegs on it, it even locks on my site- all it has is a simple java menu! I'll have a look for opera tonight I think- but first I need to fix my install as its "broke"- in other post

Next time you wave - use all your fingers