Win 7 freezes upon restart

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi. I have windows 7 PRO 64 bit. Upon trying to restart my computer (such as after installing software) my computer freezes. My motherboard stays on and lit while my keyboard and mouse stop working. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or if they knew how to fix it. I also use the free anti virus avira.

jamesdean1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Check the chipset, storage and video drivers. Make sure that you have Windows 7 drivers for all of them.

Ensure that your BIOS is updated.
Set the RAM voltages to Auto and try that.
Ensure that you're not running an older version of ASACPI.SYS (it's located in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder)

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

hi. my bios is the latest version. I am not sure how to check/change ram voltages to auto or check/update #3. Thanks :hello:

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Did it stay frozen for a long time? Try to let it be 15-20 minutes just to be sure Windows isn't installing hardware. Sometimes it MAY happen and it MAY stop mouse and keyboard from working. If that is the case, Windows is installing your motherboard drivers which freezes keyboard/mouse and may freeze any other USB, even sound and graphics. Let it do it's work (if any), then when the computer doesn't work anymore, push the power button. It will shutdown, you then restart and everything shall be fine.

Also if this is not the cause, try to hit F8 key while your computer is booting, and go to safe mode. In that mode everything should be fine. You then can remove/install device drivers. Reboot and check if it gets better.

When that problem occured to me (a few times), the motherboard chipset driver was installing and freezing the machine like yours so I did the first suggestion to solve. Other times it was my Intel chipset driver that went corrupted and wouldn't install properly, so I needed to download it from the net and install it over. That fixed it too or else I had to reinstall Windows when it became corrupted (when it became corrupted, I couldn't install audio/graphic drivers anymore so playing games was not possible. Also it wouldn't detect what graphic card I had, neither motherboard, chipset nor every other peripherals).

For that reason (while installing Intel chipset driver it corrupts Windows), I always install intel chipset driver right away after I install Windows (XP) so that if the chipset driver fucked up my computer, I just reinstall Windows, redownload the driver and then install, until it works. I had problems with specific Intel chipset drivers and Windows XP, but now it's fine to this day.