Noob need help overclocking Asus P5B Deluxe?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I finished my first PC build ever earler today and everything went a Lot smoother than I expected. I had to change the voltage and select DDR2 1066 in bios, then changed the timings 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v. I know how to OC my CPU, but as far as OC'ing my Crucial Ballistix 1066 (changing the MHz) and memory ratio is know where to be found. Is there a hidden button somewhere. I also have Intel's Speed Step disabled and still my CPU clocks down to 1600mhz, yes I have a E6600 @2.4 or so I thought.

Also I download Everest Ultimate today then ran it for one minute and that's when my temp went stait up past 100C, then Everest had an error and just quit running altogether, PC was fine. My CPU idle's @28c-30c both core's & vcore is set to auto in bios with vcore at 1.175volt which I think is low, good huh? O yeah I can't seem to find Orthos on the net so I can have a tool when OC'ing my CPU and memtest86+ needs a binary floppy (that right there gives my a headache, WHAT) something. Pleeaase can you guys help me out and maybe put some links for Orthos & a memory tester. And thanks for any help you can give a guy about to lose his head, BOOM. oops, Really thanks.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Here is Orthos:

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

You can download a cd version of memtest, so no floppy needed.

In the BIOS for the P5B your memory settings are in the 'jumper free .......' menu. As you increase the CPU frequency, it will change the memory speed options that are available to you.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Oh, I never would have known that as the Asus manual has just enough info to get you up and running. Wish Asus had a section for the overclocking part of the bios with a lot more in other area's. Hay thank you very much for the heads up. :D

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Is there a way to overclock just my ram and not the CPU? Also I OC'ed from stock 2.4ghz to 3.1ghz and and my temps went from 32c to 65c running Orthos, maybe its my concaved cpu. I did notice that my temps with my side panel off netted me 6c cooler, could I have a case air flow problem? I lapped my Tuniq T 120 finished with 2000 grit and am not new to lapping. Thanks again.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Don't think you can OC the RAM on this board any further without doing the CPU also, but not played around with the BIOS much yet. That RAM is fairly high frequency to begin with which causes the prob. Those CPUs love OCing though.... temps sound a bit high for that cooler. Did you leave the CPU voltage set to 'auto' for that OC? If you set it manually, 1.35v should be enough for up to 3.4 GHz.... Would definately look into the case airflow thing. Very common problem and cheap to solve :) What case do you have?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Don't think you can OC the RAM on this board any further without doing the CPU also, but not played around with the BIOS much yet. That RAM is fairly high frequency to begin with which causes the prob. Those CPUs love OCing though.... temps sound a bit high for that cooler. Did you leave the CPU voltage set to 'auto' for that OC? If you set it manually, 1.35v should be enough for up to 3.4 GHz.... Would definately look into the case airflow thing. Very common problem and cheap to solve :) What case do you have?

Yes auto vcore for OC & have the Asus Vento red case. I think its more than case cooling, I used AS5 very thin layer just in the center where the cores are up & down, but not the hole IHS. Did notice I had a concaved CPU, low in the center but just a little. You know the Intel HSF can run cooler than my TT 120, something is not right. My mobo temp right now is 35c & CPU 35c also. But my graphics card is running cooler than it ever has before, Asus Vento is a new case. Any suggestions?

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Tuniq tower is a bolt-thru cooler right? Can't be an installation issue then? If you've lapped the HS/F then I'd do the CPU as well if you feel comfortable with it.... C2Ds can have a very concave ihs sometimes. On a side note, I love the Vento cases, they're beautiful... what are they like to work with? Enough space inside?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Well I removed my mobo & Tuniq Tower 120 and when I pulled the two apart the arctic silver 5 was just where I put it. The AS5 was not spread out (like I never had the two surface's squeezed together) WOW. So next I took my CPU and some sandpaper (600 grit wet) and moved my processer side to side and to my dispare there were two lines of silver dust on the sand paper an inch apart. WOW, I can't believe how concaved Intel's processer's are! The lowest point on the IHS was where the two core's are which never made any contact with my HSF. So I lapped my E6600 (say by to warranty) and when I was done with 1000 grit I put everything back together. I turned on my PC let it idle for 30 minutes and then it showed an 18c idle. When I used Orthos to stress both core's for 30 minutes, at full load my CPU was never higher than 30c and my mobo was at 33c. Boy do I feel good right now! I don't know how to insert an image on this forum.[/img]

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
On a side note, I love the Vento cases, they're beautiful... what are they like to work with? Enough space inside?

Oh man are they shiney with lots of room inside, and have a paint job smoother than a baby's butt! The plastic is very thick and high quality, a must if you love red cars. It's worth more than I paid I think. After a year the paint is as good as the day it came out of the box! Can hold two 8800 GTX's easy.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I also have Intel's Speed Step disabled and still my CPU clocks down to 1600mhz, yes I have a E6600 @2.4 or so I thought.

Check where you can downward unlock the multiplier if it is set to 6x. If not sometimes when your OC fails the P5B will boot with a 6x multi and 266 fsb = 1600mhz. Just let the system boot into Windows like that then do a Start>Shutdown>Restart and the next boot should be back at your set FSB.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi guy's, I know this is of topic but I am having trouble with Core Temp & nvtray. When I launch them 7 out of 10 times my computer shuts down and reboots? Is there a setting in bios or in Window's that might stop this from happenning? Also I can't seem to get my PC to boot in ACHI (advance host controller interface) configuration for SATA hard HDD. Any thought's? Thanks.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
You may have already done this but I'd run memtest and a virus scan just to be sure it's neither of those causing reboots, before looking at anything else.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
You may have already done this but I'd run memtest and a virus scan just to be sure it's neither of those causing reboots, before looking at anything else.

It turns out that for some reason my PC doesn't like Core Temp's short cut on desktop. Is there another memory tester, cuz I don't have a DVD-R drive to use the ISO zip to be bootable. How about RightMark memory tester is it any good?