Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need some upgrade advice

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 6, 2007 1:18:20 PM

I need some opinions on whether to go with a new system, or upgrade my bad components. I've been patiently waiting for the new X38 and 42nm chips to come out. I was also curious to see what AMD was going to offer. So my plan was to keep my current system until around September then do a complete rebuild.

Unfortunately my motherboard just crapped out, so my time frame is now shot. I'm trying to decide if it is worth replacing my existing mobo for the time being, and continue to hold out for a full rebuild, or to just bite the bullet and do the rebuild now.

I figure, I can upgrade just the mobo for $150, or do a new build for a little under $1500. I just hate to put out that kind of money knowing there is a big tech upgrade right around the corner.

My current system is:
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (939)
AMD Opteron 170
2 GB G-Skill DDR 400 ZX
FSP AX500
Radeon X800XL

If I replace the mobo, I would get:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe, since it is the only decent 939 mobo I can still find, but it's pricey at $149.

If I do a new build I was looking at this:
GA-P35-DQ6
Q660
2 GB mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR2 800
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W (still thinking this one through)
GeoForce 8800GTS (not sure which one yet)

Any advice, comments, or suggestions are highly welcome!

More about : upgrade advice

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 6, 2007 10:30:16 PM

I'd check on newegg open box boards. Your msi board was about $40-50 shipped for the bare board only (when in stock).
June 7, 2007 2:41:22 PM

^Thanks, I've been checking the open box deals, so far nothing even close to my current MSI board.

I might just replace the mobo, and start upgrading other components while I wait for x38 and intel price drops.

I could use a better gfx card, and power supply, both of which can be carried over to a new system.
!