Inaccessible Briefcase on CDRW

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
external Backpack CD burner

I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted CDRW in
an external Backpack burner.

I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.

When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
"This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
that the disk is accessible"

Please help me with this problem.
6 answers Last reply
More about inaccessible briefcase cdrw

    1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder containing Windows XP.

    2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then click Properties on the menu that appears.

    3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an existing Briefcase.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 06:07:58 -0400, NickC wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
    > external Backpack CD burner
    >
    > I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted CDRW in
    > an external Backpack burner.
    >
    > I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.
    >
    > When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
    > "This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
    > that the disk is accessible"
    >
    > Please help me with this problem.

    Do you have drag-to-disc installed on the laptop as well? Or tried
    finalizing the CDRW before using it on the laptop? Consider using CDR for
    data transfers. They're not rewritable but are much cheaper than CDRW and
    can be read easily by other computers.

    Alternatively, a thumb drive may be a better solution for transferring the
    briefcase files.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
    Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder am I
    opening under #1?

    Please clarify what folder to open.
    > 1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder
    containing Windows XP.

    > 2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then
    click Properties on the menu that appears.

    > 3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an
    existing Briefcase.

    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > "NickC" wrote:
    >
    > | I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
    > | external Backpack CD burner
    > |
    > | I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted
    CDRW in
    > | an external Backpack burner.
    > |
    > | I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.
    > |
    > | When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
    > | "This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
    Verify
    > | that the disk is accessible"
    > |
    > | Please help me with this problem.

    Hi,

    Carey gave the wrong path for an XP system, that was the target in a
    Win98/WinME system. It should be:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\SendTo

    The <user_name> will be your logon, this could be one you chose or the
    "Owner" account that is set up for you by many computer manufacturers. For
    instance, if your account name is "Nick", then the path would be:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\SendTo

    It may help as well to set the system so that you can see hidden and system
    folders, as many of the folders in this area contain those attributes. Go to
    the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options so
    you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:

    Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

    I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
    types".

    Please post back if you need further assistance.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
    > Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder am
    > opening under #1?
    >

    > Please clarify what folder to open.
    >> 1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder
    > containing Windows XP.
    >>
    >> 2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then
    > click Properties on the menu that appears.
    >>
    >> 3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an
    > existing Briefcase.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > -----------------
    >>
    >> "NickC" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
    >> | external Backpack CD burner
    >> |
    >> | I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted
    > CDRW in
    >> | an external Backpack burner.
    >> |
    >> | I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.
    >> |
    >> | When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
    >> | "This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
    > Verify
    >> | that the disk is accessible"
    >> |
    >> | Please help me with this problem.

    Thanks Rick
    I went to the C:\Doc...\username\sendto folder
    clicked on that but I did not see a "My Briefcase" or any briefcase listed.
    Also I burnt the briefcase using Roxio Class creator instead of Drag to Disc
    and I get the same result. I cannot access the briefcase on my laptop D
    drive.

    Any ideas how to fix this troubling problem. Some suggested using a CDR to
    burn the briefcase but this will not work (I don't think) because then I
    will not be able to add files, delete or update files on a CDR??. There
    must be a solution to this problem with the CDRW.

    Please help me...Rick or anyone else

    Nick

    > Hi,
    >
    > Carey gave the wrong path for an XP system, that was the target in a
    > Win98/WinME system. It should be:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\SendTo
    >
    > The <user_name> will be your logon, this could be one you chose or the
    > "Owner" account that is set up for you by many computer manufacturers. For
    > instance, if your account name is "Nick", then the path would be:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\SendTo
    >
    > It may help as well to set the system so that you can see hidden and
    system
    > folders, as many of the folders in this area contain those attributes. Go
    > the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options so
    > you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
    >
    > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
    >
    > I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
    file
    > types".
    >
    > Please post back if you need further assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
    > > Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder
    am
    > > opening under #1?
    > >

    > > Please clarify what folder to open.
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> 1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder
    > > containing Windows XP.
    > >>
    > >> 2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then
    > > click Properties on the menu that appears.
    > >>
    > >> 3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an
    > > existing Briefcase.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Carey Frisch
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >>
    > >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -
    > > -----------------

    > > CDRW in

    > > Verify

    By the way, I can open other files on the same CDRW. It is just the
    Briefcase with which I am having this problem

    > Thanks Rick
    > I went to the C:\Doc...\username\sendto folder
    > clicked on that but I did not see a "My Briefcase" or any briefcase
    listed.
    > Also I burnt the briefcase using Roxio Class creator instead of Drag to
    Disc
    > and I get the same result. I cannot access the briefcase on my laptop D
    > drive.
    >
    > Any ideas how to fix this troubling problem. Some suggested using a CDR
    > burn the briefcase but this will not work (I don't think) because then I
    > will not be able to add files, delete or update files on a CDR??. There
    > must be a solution to this problem with the CDRW.
    >
    > Please help me...Rick or anyone else
    >
    > Nick

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Carey gave the wrong path for an XP system, that was the target in a
    > > Win98/WinME system. It should be:
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\SendTo
    > >
    > > The <user_name> will be your logon, this could be one you chose or the
    > > "Owner" account that is set up for you by many computer manufacturers.
    For
    > > instance, if your account name is "Nick", then the path would be:
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\SendTo
    > >
    > > It may help as well to set the system so that you can see hidden and
    > system
    > > folders, as many of the folders in this area contain those attributes.
    Go
    > > the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options
    so
    > > you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
    > >
    > > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    > > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    > > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
    > >
    > > I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
    > file
    > > types".
    > >
    > > Please post back if you need further assistance.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
    > > > Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder
    > am
    > > > opening under #1?
    > > >

    > > > Please clarify what folder to open.
    > > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > containing Windows XP.

    > > > click Properties on the menu that appears.

    > > > existing Briefcase.

    > -

    > and

    > > > CDRW in