Inaccessible Briefcase on CDRW

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
external Backpack CD burner

I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted CDRW in
an external Backpack burner.

I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.

When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
"This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
that the disk is accessible"

Please help me with this problem.

1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder containing Windows XP.

2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then click Properties on the menu that appears.

3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an existing Briefcase.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 06:07:58 -0400, NickC wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
> external Backpack CD burner
>
> I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted CDRW in
> an external Backpack burner.
>
> I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.
>
> When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
> "This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify
> that the disk is accessible"
>
> Please help me with this problem.

Do you have drag-to-disc installed on the laptop as well? Or tried
finalizing the CDRW before using it on the laptop? Consider using CDR for
data transfers. They're not rewritable but are much cheaper than CDRW and
can be read easily by other computers.

Alternatively, a thumb drive may be a better solution for transferring the
briefcase files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder am I
opening under #1?

Please clarify what folder to open.
> 1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder
containing Windows XP.

> 2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then
click Properties on the menu that appears.

> 3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an
existing Briefcase.

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "NickC" wrote:
>
> | I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
> | external Backpack CD burner
> |
> | I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted
CDRW in
> | an external Backpack burner.
> |
> | I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.
> |
> | When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
> | "This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
Verify
> | that the disk is accessible"
> |
> | Please help me with this problem.

Hi,

Carey gave the wrong path for an XP system, that was the target in a
Win98/WinME system. It should be:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\SendTo

The <user_name> will be your logon, this could be one you chose or the
"Owner" account that is set up for you by many computer manufacturers. For
instance, if your account name is "Nick", then the path would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\SendTo

It may help as well to set the system so that you can see hidden and system
folders, as many of the folders in this area contain those attributes. Go to
the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options so
you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:

Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
types".

Please post back if you need further assistance.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
> Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder am
> opening under #1?
>

> Please clarify what folder to open.
>> 1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder
> containing Windows XP.
>>
>> 2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then
> click Properties on the menu that appears.
>>
>> 3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an
> existing Briefcase.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> -----------------
>>
>> "NickC" wrote:
>>
>> | I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP Professional, Roxio CD Creator and
>> | external Backpack CD burner
>> |
>> | I created a Briefcase, used Drag-to-Disc to place it on a formatted
> CDRW in
>> | an external Backpack burner.
>> |
>> | I then placed the CD into the D Drive on my Dell laptop.
>> |
>> | When I try to open it I get a Dialog message:
>> | "This briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible.
> Verify
>> | that the disk is accessible"
>> |
>> | Please help me with this problem.

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks Rick
I went to the C:\Doc...\username\sendto folder
clicked on that but I did not see a "My Briefcase" or any briefcase listed.
Also I burnt the briefcase using Roxio Class creator instead of Drag to Disc
and I get the same result. I cannot access the briefcase on my laptop D
drive.

Any ideas how to fix this troubling problem. Some suggested using a CDR to
burn the briefcase but this will not work (I don't think) because then I
will not be able to add files, delete or update files on a CDR??. There
must be a solution to this problem with the CDRW.

Please help me...Rick or anyone else

Nick

> Hi,
>
> Carey gave the wrong path for an XP system, that was the target in a
> Win98/WinME system. It should be:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\SendTo
>
> The <user_name> will be your logon, this could be one you chose or the
> "Owner" account that is set up for you by many computer manufacturers. For
> instance, if your account name is "Nick", then the path would be:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\SendTo
>
> It may help as well to set the system so that you can see hidden and
system
> folders, as many of the folders in this area contain those attributes. Go
> the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options so
> you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
>
> Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
> Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
> Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
>
> I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
file
> types".
>
> Please post back if you need further assistance.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "NickC" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry Carey but I do not understand your directions.
> > Please think of me as a beginner (with some experience). Which folder
am
> > opening under #1?
> >

> > Please clarify what folder to open.
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> >> 1. Open the <Windows>\SendTo folder, where <Windows> is the folder
> > containing Windows XP.
> >>
> >> 2. Use the right mouse button to click the My Briefcase shortcut, then
> > click Properties on the menu that appears.
> >>
> >> 3. Click the Shortcut tab, and then change the target to point to an
> > existing Briefcase.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-

> > CDRW in

> > Verify

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

By the way, I can open other files on the same CDRW. It is just the
Briefcase with which I am having this problem