My Wifes Computer

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
My wifes computer has reached the end of its useful life and I want to upgrade it. I know the components I want to use so My question is, what is the best way to transfer the contents of her (EIDE) hard drive to a new (SATA) hard drive. She is using XP now and wants to continue to use XP with all her settings,apps,games/data intact. She does not want the hassle of reinstalling everything. Will Norton Ghost do what I want it to? or is there some other software that will do it for me. I am willing to reinstall XP but the problem still remains, how to transfer her crap from one hard drive to the other without reinstalling it all. Any help with be greatly appreciated.

You'll need to clone the IDE to SATA, Acronis True Image has a free 15 day fully functional trial, wait to download and install until you're close to doing the clone.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Install Acronis on the original source HDD to be Cloned, requires a Reboot to complete the installation, then shutdown the computer and connect the New SATA HDD, boot into Windows and open Acronis, bottom left of Pick A Task Window, Select: Manage Hard Disks Select: Clone Disk

Choose the Automatic Cloning Feature, if the SATA drive is new and blank the cloning will start automatically, when the cloning completes your computer will shut down, then remove the Source IDE HDD before rebooting the computer, upon reboot Acronis will complete the cloning process and you're done.

Then you'll need to do a Repair reinstall of WinXP, [Looses Zero DATA] to recognize all the new hardware, and you'll be in business.

To do a Repair Reinstall of WinXP, Insert and boot into the WinXP Installation CD and begin the installation like you are installing from scratch, Press Enter when it requests a response from you until you get to the F8 Agreement Screen, after you press F8 to agree, the next screen scans for old installations and will find her old WinXP installation and highlight it, Press R, and the Repair begins, you'll have to re-Enter the product key, and when the Repair Install completes all her old DATA will still be there.

I suggest doing the Cloning first on the old machine, then the Repair Reinstall on the new, it would be better if the cloning could be done on the original computer, If it has SATA capabilities.

EDIT NOTE; Acronis automatic cloning mode will also convert the older say, [Example] 20G HDD to the new say 500G HDD, expanding the original 20G partition to the full 500G size of the new HDD.

I would not recommend anything to you, and especially give you instructions on how to use it, if I was not 100% confident it would work for you, I have done this procedure many, many, times. Ryan

You will be able to move the data... but you can forget about moving programs. You'll have to reinstall programs the same way you'll have to reinstall Windows. You might get away with Ghost, but I wouldn't count on it... since you're moving to a completely new platform.

Back up the data first, then try a Ghost. You'll end up having to do a repair install of XP at minimum... but this may or may not work... that's why I say back up the data first.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
thanks 4ryan6 and zoron for your help. I think Ill try the Acronis method. one final question. On the new machine there is an EIDE connection but its designed as a Sata invornment, Can you boot from that EIDE Drive. Im unsure.. Thanks again for your help.

The newer the M/B is, the less likely you'll be able to use that header as a HDD boot device, unless its booting from an optical drive, I have 2 ASUS M/Bs that will not boot a HDD from the EIDE header, that header is for optical drives on those M/Bs.

That is the very reason I suggested;
I suggest doing the Cloning first on the old machine, then the Repair Reinstall on the new, it would be better if the cloning could be done on the original computer, If it has SATA capabilities.

However thats not written in stone your new M/B choice may very well allow booting a HDD from the EIDE header, I know for a fact an ASUS Crosshair II Formula, and a ASUS Striker II Extreme will not.

As Zoron said, Make sure you backup all your data before you begin whatever route you decide on.

That statement is incorrect Zoron, if he clones the old HDD to the new all the DATA and Programs are moved to the new HDD, then the Repair Re-Install of XP will allow the newly cloned HDD recognition of the new M/B hardware, and when its completed all the original programs will be functional and the data will be there too.

FYI; I've lost count of the successful times I've accomplished just that.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

hannar66...., 4ryan6 has it right on. If you follow his instructions to the letter your chances of retaining all of your data is very good assuming no hardware break down, which no one can predict exactly.

I too learned this very method from 4ryan6 and it worked for me flawlessly. I retained ALL OF MY PROGRAMS and other data on that HDD. So..., my recommendation to you my friend is as above bar none.

Good luck but this really should be a piece of cake for you.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
4ryan6, and zoron, I really appreciate your input. The only way I can put the Sata Drive in the old computer would be to buy a Sata card for the old computer. That seems a little redundant to me as the old computer will no longer be used. But if it is the only way I can clone the HDD, well I may spring for a board for that computer. Anyway it will be a good excersize and I may even learn something. (I woudnt count on that tho LOL). How about if I were to install XP on the new HDD and connect the old HDD to the EIDE header, is there anyway to transfer the apps and data without loss? I know the windows transfer will only transfer settings not apps or data.. but surely there has to be a way to accomplish what I need to do without out of pocket expense, But then maybe not.. I may be expecting too much..Thanks for your help and suggestions.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
arthurh, Thanks for your input. Im rapidly comming to that same conclusion. So in that Vane, I think Im goint to go shopping for a Sata card for the old computer. Wish me luck..

Well of course if you clone, the programs will be intact... I initially thought he might just be copying data from one to the other... in which case programs definately wouldn't work. However, cloning the disk does have at least some chance at success. I would also strongly suggest a USB or Firewire enclosure or adapter; they are extremely handy when you need to quickly connect a hard drive to another computer for diagnostics.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Now there is a thought, perhaps I should invest in a HDD enclosure for the SATA HDD, then Clone the EIDE HDD to that. Would that work?

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Actually that was meant to be used as a future way to backup your HDD with your new PC. I think you should still get a PCI SATA card for your old PC to do the cloning operation.

I'd like to make another suggestion to you as well. After Acronis has shut your PC down for the last time be sure to unplug that PC and then unplug your IDE HDD.

Plugin your PC and then boot from the SATA HDD thru the PCI card and let Acronis finish its job.

Just for grins, if, and this is a BIG if, your new M/BD can boot from a IDE HDD you could just install the old HDD in your new build 'cause it would have Native SATA inputs on it. Install Acronis to the IDE HDD and follow 4ryan6 instructions.

You'd still need to unplug that IDE HDD at the end thou so Acronis could finish with the SATA HDD. Good luck.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Thanks for your input. I havent decided which way Im going to go. Ive talked with the tech support for Acronis, about my problem, they seem to think that it will work. However after speaking with local computer techs who do this everyday, they seem to think it wont work without actually going into the hardware abstraction layer. Also a SATA controller card for my old machine locally is $130, So I may just bite the bullet and do a complete reinstall starting with Win xp. My wife will have to put up with the days it will take to complete it to her satisfaction. Thanks for your input, the guys in this forum are awesome. thanks again

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I would just put the drive in a external enclosure, you will need to reinstall all the programs any way, and then you can use the drive for archiving, I have have 2 IDE drives from old computers in external boxes and a 1.5 TB drive in a E-SATA device for all my archiving, simple simple

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
btk1w1, thanks for your post. I am going to Ballidu on friday so I will stop in at the shop and pick up one of the controllers. As I said. Harvey Norman has one for $130 Au and my local computer shop Computer West, has them for $99. This has been a deal maker for me. I live in Busselton WA not a lot of computer shops here. Thanks for your post.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007

Re-installing all the apps was just what I hoped to avoid. however if this clone doesnt work, Ill be forced into doing just that.. thanks for your post

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Does the PC have SATA power connectors running from the PSU?

If its older it probably doesn't so you will need a SATA power adapter also, to convert the molex power connecter to SATA. They are really inexpensive and should only cost a couple of bucks.

Because the PCI card has two SATA ports it might be an idea to grab 1 x molex to 2 x SATA in case you decide to add an extra SATA HDD in the future.

That is if you need an adapter of course.

@hammar66

There is a possibility your new M/B will allow booting from the IDE HDD, I would at least find that out before I bought a SATA controller card, the extreme high end SATA dedicated M/Bs are the ones that only allow a SATA boot HDD, so what M/B is going in the wifes new build anyway?

If the new M/B would allow booting the IDE HDD you simply reverse the procedure and do the WinXP Repair Install first, then update the M/B drivers, then do the clone to the SATA HDD.

But at least find out if the new M/B will boot the IDE HDD first.

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
4ryan6, are you saying to install XP first, then update the drivers and motherboard drivers and then do the clone? wouldnt that re-install XP when I clone the old drive?

hammar66

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
btk1w1, I already have the computer that Im giving my wife. At present its only being used as a home theater computer. it has 2 320 Sata hdds with 4 gig Ram so I already have all the connectors I need to do the cloneing except of course the PCI controller.

If you already have the M/B remove the 2 320 SATA HDDs connect the IDE HDD from her old machine and see if it will boot to the old HDD, You will need to set it up as CDROM first Boot HDD second Boot, and do the Repair Win XP install as previously instructed, then Install the M/B drivers of the new machine.

If it won't boot from the IDE HDD you'll know when the REPAIR is completed, if it does boot from the IDE HDD then all you have to do is the cloning process which just became more difficult since you obviously have another OP/SYS on the 2 320G existing SATA HDDs.

You say you have 2 320G SATA HDDs, are they in a RAID configuration?

The 320G whichever HDD you decide to go with it would be better if the Primary Partition were deleted first since it is a boot HDD and will need to be formatted if it is the OP/SYS HDD.

I already have all the connectors I need to do the cloneing except of course the PCI controller.

Why do you think you need a PCI controller when you haven't tried to boot from the IDE?

And you already have the M/B with SATA and IDE capabilities

No Offense hammar66, but you're making this more difficult than it actually is, just do it, and if you have a problem proceed to correcting the problem, don't try to correct a problem until you have one to correct. Ryan