AMD to match Intels July 22 50% cuts with 20% cuts

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
And from last quarters investors conference "...we will get better quarter by quarter."

AMD, Care to explain how with 2 price cuts this quarter???

SMU_Pony

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
They've been doing a lot of misinforming re investors/analysts the last couple quarters. Why expect different now? I figured the flat to better guidance they gave for Q2 was wrong the second I heard it. Didn't seem grounded in reality, without massive cost cutting.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
They've been doing a lot of misinforming re investors/analysts the last couple quarters. Why expect different now? I figured the flat to better guidance they gave for Q2 was wrong the second I heard it. Didn't seem grounded in reality, without massive cost cutting.

You had it almost right:

They've been doing a lot of misinforming the last couple quarters. Why expect different now?

We don't that is why nobody believes Barcelona is going to be what they claim except Baron. AMD lied about financials, AMD lied about the Intel Core technology, AMD lied about 65nm performance increses, and .... The rest of us skeptics see bits and pieces of performance from reasonably reliable sources that says it really isn't going to top Core2 performance and with Penryn soon to be released Barcelona is going to fall way short in relative performance.

To AMD:
Please put Henri into a large room and turn off the lights at least you could get some additional revenue with the mushrooms that grow in the BS he spits out.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

You had it almost right:

They've been doing a lot of misinforming the last couple quarters. Why expect different now?

We don't that is why nobody believes Barcelona is going to be what they claim except Baron. AMD lied about financials, AMD lied about the Intel Core technology, AMD lied about 65nm performance increses, and .... The rest of us skeptics see bits and pieces of performance from reasonably reliable sources that says it really isn't going to top Core2 performance and with Penryn soon to be released Barcelona is going to fall way short in relative performance.

To AMD:
Please put Henri into a large room and turn off the lights at least you could get some additional revenue with the mushrooms that grow in the BS he spits out.

Careful there, AMD never lied about 65nm. The Horde, its acolyes and associated AMD fanboys hyped 65nm so much, everyone believed it was going to result in large performance gains. AMD itself never said it would.
If you are refering to the launch, well thats a different story, but both AMD and Intel are guilty of papaer launching products, so at this point in time, who really cares.

AMD did lie about the finacials, but as for the Core tech, well thats debatable. They didnt really lie, but they did spin here and there. And their comments ran the gamut from aknowledging C2D as a more advanced Uarch, to desperately seeking and skylining obscure metrics to belittle C2Ds advances, but Ive never seen a flat out lie from AMD. Henri Richard on the other hand, well thats a different matter, but I dont think too many people trust a single word he says anymore. Personally, I dont even associate what he says as being representative of AMD, so when he lies, it falls into the catagory of "whatever".

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
so much skepticism. AMD is only staying in the market. the way i see it from a business point of view if they dont price cut then intel will get a foot hold in the low end market also. this is only a business move, not a flag waving move.

price cuts for everyone, hooray!

JPack

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
It also shows that Intel is really hurting themselves with the pricecuts. AMD owns the low end right now, so Intel needs to cut 50%.

It's called economies of scale. Intel produces more silicon and can afford to cut deeper and sooner than AMD.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
One would assume only cutting 20% rather than matching Intel's 50% shows there is nothing left to cut on the K8 :D

It also shows that Intel is really hurting themselves with the pricecuts. AMD owns the low end right now, so Intel needs to cut 50%.
Everyone knows Intel plays dirty and are trying to price AMD out of the market.
It shows desperation on Intels part really. Of course AMD handed Intel their ass in a bag for 3 years straight, I guess they figure they better play dirty or fall down again being that they have only had the lead for 6 months now.

Lets see....
Core 2 Duo released 23 July 06. Today is 6 June 07. Hmmmmm. 6 months? You still havent learned simple math, have you? BTW, Im still waiting for your response to the other thread.

Dewd, Rich, Im really disapointed in you guys. :roll: Deliberately misleading this individual with those answers. Lies, all lies I tell you!

To the OP. The etailers atually get their products from the benificent hardware fairy. Who was immaculately conceived by the virtuously virginal AMD.

Guys We have a new contender for poster (no life loser) of the year!
This guy is averaging 51 posts per day!!! GET A LIFE!!

Well, when you put in that light, we can do tha same for you. We can sum up the vast majority of your posts in 1 comment: 'AMD rulz, Intel druulz, and if you dont agree with me, your wrong.' That about covers all your posts.

<<EDIT>> BTW, you obviously arent capable of simple mathmatics.

Join:...................................... feb 11 2006
Today:....................................may 26 2007
days from join date to today :...469
posts as of this moment:..........3494
3494 posts/469 days =.............7.5 posts per day

Duh, who taught you how to add and subtract? :roll: Henri Richard? Perhaps the "guys" should get rid of people such as yourself, who cant get the facts straight.

Lets see.
Core 2 Duo E6600 $359 on 23 July 06.
X2 6000, the E6600 equivelent $000 - not available on 23 July 06.
X2 5000, the fastest non FX available on 23 July 06 -$550.
Today, 6 June 07, 10 1/3 months later (6 :roll: )
E6600 @ $221
X2 6000 @ $226
X2 5000 @ $156

Oh yeah, youre dead right....all over that shizznat arent ya? Intel only had the lead for 6 months.

Desperation? Lets see...AMD is hemoraging marketshare with no response in sight, R600 flopped, K10 is still so much rumour and Intel has Penryn on deck. Oh yeah....Intels desperate alright :roll: ...so desperate Im sure they're crying all the way to the bank.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Too bad I already built my 7 new computers last year this month as the prices are so low from both companys now.
Optrons for under $80 and A64's for as low as $32 @ Newegg last week.

Anyhow by the time I really need new hardware myself EVEYTHING that is out this/next year will be long left behind (5 year plan).

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Careful there, AMD never lied about 65nm. The Horde, its acolyes and associated AMD fanboys hyped 65nm so much, everyone believed it was going to result in large performance gains. AMD itself never said it would.
If you are refering to the launch, well thats a different story, but both AMD and Intel are guilty of papaer launching products, so at this point in time, who really cares.

AMD did lie about the finacials, but as for the Core tech, well thats debatable. They didnt really lie, but they did spin here and there. And their comments ran the gamut from aknowledging C2D as a more advanced Uarch, to desperately seeking and skylining obscure metrics to belittle C2Ds advances, but Ive never seen a flat out lie from AMD. Henri Richard on the other hand, well thats a different matter, but I dont think too many people trust a single word he says anymore. Personally, I dont even associate what he says as being representative of AMD, so when he lies, it falls into the catagory of "whatever".

Actually your right on the 65nm AMD did only claim it would lower losses which they did the AMD fanboys spun the performance/watt statment into increased performance.

Before the debut of Core2 wiped the floor with the X2's AMD took no end of pleasure to belittle and demean the Core architecture. They only begrudgingly took Core2 seriously after the benchmarks blew right past the X2's. I belive we had about 5 price cuts of the X2's before Core2 prices ever changed thats a company that didn't take the competition seriously.

As for Henri:
How can you tell if Henri is lying?
His lips move. :lol: :lol: :lol:

From AMD's website:

"AMD is the customer-centric innovation company, a processing powerhouse that offers smarter choices for its customers and makes technology more accessible to the world. AMD is focused on best meeting the needs of leading computing, wireless and consumer electronics companies to help them deliver high-performance, energy-efficient and visually realistic solutions. "

customer-centric innovation company- Where is the innovation? Helloo we the customers think Intel is beating your brains out on performance.

a processing powerhouse - Oh, you say you LOST $611M and your market share declined by what percentage last quarter.

offers smarter choices for its customers - senseless drivel here as smarter can not be defined.

makes technology more accessible to the world - Sounds a lot like the Miss America competition answer "I would like World Peace". Sounds good means nothing.

As for the second part lets just hit the highlights.

high-performance = Quad FX
energy-efficient = HD2900

So the AMD subterfuge continues.