New PC, XP install. Keyboard failed once, now it won't boot

Ok, trying to build a PC for the first time in a long time.
Picked up:
GA-965P-DS3, E4300, Antec P180 Case, Antec Earthwatss 500 Power Supply, Freezer Pro 7 CPU cooler, some arctic silver 5 thermal paste, A Seagate 400GB drive and a BFG 7900GS.

Got to the point where it asked for windows CD. I put it in, hit enter to continue. It asked me to press f3 to quit or enter to continue. PS/2 keyboard stopped working. Caps lock lights wouldn't even come on. Tried out keyboard on another computer, works fine. Rebooted, went to bios. Didn't see anything amiss (like temps) and keyboard worked fine in bios. Quit bios, PC now hangs right after that, at the end of the PCI device loading screen.

Any ideas ? =)
1 answer Last reply
More about install keyboard failed once boot
  1. Quote:
    Ok, trying to build a PC for the first time in a long time.
    Picked up:
    GA-965P-DS3, E4300, Antec P180 Case, Antec Earthwatss 500 Power Supply, Freezer Pro 7 CPU cooler, some arctic silver 5 thermal paste, A Seagate 400GB drive and a BFG 7900GS.

Got to the point where it asked for windows CD. I put it in, hit enter to continue. It asked me to press f3 to quit or enter to continue. PS/2 keyboard stopped working. Caps lock lights wouldn't even come on. Tried out keyboard on another computer, works fine. Rebooted, went to bios. Didn't see anything amiss (like temps) and keyboard worked fine in bios. Quit bios, PC now hangs right after that, at the end of the PCI device loading screen.

Any ideas ? =)

a few things that i would try

1) reset bios by using jumper on mobo or just take out the battery for a few seconds and put it back in

2) take out any extra cards such as sound cards or what not

3) take out a stick of ram and try it that way

4) try with only monitor attached, no kb/mouse or any extra peripherals

my computer sometimes hangs on detecting my SATA drive, i turn it off and switch the power off on the back as well and it works fine after that

hope this helps
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Keyboards Systems