I think my cable modem is dying, help!!!

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
my modem will be going on 5 years now and I think it's showing its age. For almost a week or so, it would just drop connection. Sometimes, it will just flash send and recieve will stay lit and other times, it will just flash "recieve". I unpluging and repluging helps but not often. I've tried: disabling my firewall and torrent clients, repairing my connection, enabling/disabling my connection, and slapping my modem a few times. I am at my wits end about to call my supplier's tech support with a very angry request or a new modem. Anybody have any ideas on what my problem can be? Thanks in advance.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If your modem is from your ISP, they're not likely to give you a hard time about replacing it. Usually you can just take your old modem into their store or physical location and exchange it. At least Time Warner has never given me a hard time.

enPhotic

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
When the modem flashes "Send", it means it cannot get its RF signal back to the cable company. This could be caused by a high reverse signal (too many splitters), or another signal leaking into your cable line somewhere and causing interference. And usually if it flashes Send for too long, it gives up and goes back to the receive light.
It also can be caused by a bad modem.
Ya, so you can swap out for another modem (if yours is from the cable company). And if that doesn't solve it, then you'd have to call them and probably get a tech out there to check your signal.