pc spec: advice and comments please!

joskos

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Well my sister has been having some computer issues, so she has turned to me for help on getting her set up with a brand new one.

Sense I'm the computer guy in the family, of course I told her I would build her a custom one from scratch.

I think I got everything I need and of course I selected the best reviewed items I could find, all while fitting in her $400 budget (she doesn't game, so this is an ok budget for a little family computer I think). I just wanted to get on here and post my situation before I start buying the first parts sense IT IS my first build from scratch. Please let me know your opinions on this build and let me know if I let anything out!

FoxConn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
Integral 1GB PC5300 667MHz Dimm
Antec NSK4000 Mini Tower Case
Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer Hard Drive
HP DVD940i 18x Internal Lightscribe
Inno3D 8500GT 256Mb PCI-Express graphics card
500W True Power Silent ATX PSU
Windows XP

NO MONITOR, KEYBOARD AND MOUSE NEEDED!

any comments, suggestions would help, please!

Stores like BestBuy and CircuitCity are full of PCs designed especially for that kind of budget and owner. They have some disadvantages, especially for owners who want to play games, but they may be perfect for your sis and cheaper than you'd be able to build. Windows alone would grab 1/3 of your money or so if you build yourself. They come with a warranty too.

Don't know about Inno3D. The best companies for nVidia cards are eVGA, BFG, XFX.

Not sure about FoxConn either. I would trust Gigabyte, Asus, eVGA or Intel more for a motherboard.

People usually get PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) RAM for Core 2 Duo processors. Get 2 GB if possible.

Good luck :lol: