Please Help with Budget WoW and fps build.

noobsauce

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Hi and first of all thank you to everyone who replied to my initial query about a month ago. I now have a much better idea of what my budget looks like, so I'm posting again.

So I'm looking for an under $1000 build for a gaming computer. Before I was looking for something closer to $500-600, and of course cheaper is better, but I'm willing to spend if there's really value in it. Right now I mostly play WoW, although my current computer has degenerated to the point where I can barely stand even that. Future games I'd like to be able to play well are UT2007, Spore, etc. Though I'll mostly be playing WoW and maybe City of Villains, I'd rather not be locked out of future games either.

I have a 20 or 21 inch monitor which I'll be using for this new build.

I'd like to be able to play WoW on max settings, which I'm hoping isn't too difficult, and also have room for upgradeability in the future when I should have a lot more cash.

Should I be waiting until next month to save on an intel processor? I plan on buying a cheap one and overclocking anyway, so I'm not sure how much this would affect me.

Also, as this will be my first build I've been looking at the how-to guides, so if anyone could recommend one I'd greatly appreciate it. I've installed RAM and graphics cards before and reinstalled windows on storeboughts, but it's probably best to assume I'm an idiot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wolfshadw

Titan
As a City of Villains player, I can tell you it's a monster. Keeping in mind future games as well, you're going to want an 8800GTS-320 at a minimum for graphics. One Gig of RAM is ok (two is better) if you're running XP. Two Gig of RAM is nearly a requirement if you're running Vista. You will definitely want a multi-core processor, but CoV can only utilize two cores (and even that isn't native).

For the record, I usually get 60FPS (some drops to the high 40s) in game with the system listed below (a dedicated gaming rig). That's with a 22" 1680x1050 LCD.

-Wolf sends