Windows Vista to Windows 7 upgrade coupon questons HELP NOW !

krazypoe

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hi there.

I have read many many forums with discussions on this but I can't seem to find an answer.

I have bought the Vista Ultimate 64 bit OEM from newegg for a free coupon to upgrade to Windows 7

My questions are --

** Is this a coupon for a discount to buy a windows 7 upgrade? Like a discount of 30% or something?

** Is this an upgrade that mirrors the corresponding version (it's only logical right?) For me for example -- Vista Ultimate 64x --> Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

** Is this an OEM version of windows 7?

** Is this a full version of Windows 7? Not a beta version but a real version.

** When can I upgrade? When does it expire?

It doesn't make sense to me to keep this Vista Ultimate 64x OEM if all I get is a beta windows 7 *** version when I can just return it and get a retail for the around the same price (maybe not ultimate but professional) and have a clean install.

** Some people had problems upgrading because they weren't "registered system builders with microsoft" -- I have never contacted microsoft for any reason -- will I have a problem upgrading?

I have heard that you can only get a free upgrade if you have a retail version of Vista (see this LINK for a forum post on that) WTF. really? That entirely contradicts what is completely understood when reading the vista ultimate 64x OEM version on newegg.coms website.

INCLUDES FREE WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE COUPON

please help me out guys. I am on a time constraint for building my rig so it would be good to get any feedback. Thanks for all your help ~~~

Solution
You're supposed to get a free upgrade to Windows 7... If you purchesd the OEM version and it came with the coupon, you're golden. Don't sweat it, you'll get your upgrade disc.

As for the guy on the forum, what the hell does he know?!? He doens't work for Microsoft!

Think of it like this: An OEM builds a computer and sells it to a customer. The OEM doesn't go through the hassle of the upgrade BS with Microsoft, they give the customer the coupon and the customer does it, right? As far as MS knows, you're the customer, and you'll get the upgrade.

ryohei

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
it comes with a coupon, let me read you the details off mine. well, go to windows7upgradeoption.com and follow it, and windows will mail you a copy in the same language and comparable edition as your vista version
oh yeah you must sign up by feb 28 2010

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
You're supposed to get a free upgrade to Windows 7... If you purchesd the OEM version and it came with the coupon, you're golden. Don't sweat it, you'll get your upgrade disc.

As for the guy on the forum, what the hell does he know?!? He doens't work for Microsoft!

Think of it like this: An OEM builds a computer and sells it to a customer. The OEM doesn't go through the hassle of the upgrade BS with Microsoft, they give the customer the coupon and the customer does it, right? As far as MS knows, you're the customer, and you'll get the upgrade.

Solution

aoVI

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

No, the guy who answered the question indeed did not work for MS, but the guy who selected his post as the answer to the OP DOES.

I also purchased the OEM of Vista Ultimate 64 from newegg with the free upgrade coupon and no, they did not accept my product key because I am not a partner OEM of MS, but a private system builder. As the post in the link correctly indicated.

This may not be the answer you wanted, but its the truth. The BEST ANSWER post is incorrect. You can think of it any way you like, but the OEM Vista from newegg does not qualify. The problem with your scenario is you have to select the manufacturer of your computer--and there is no "I built it myself" option.