losing network connection

I have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. I have one computer
with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot, adware and registry
first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton Systemworks for viruses. The
problem is if I don't use my computer for awhile I can't connect to the
Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and reboot in order to connect.
I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have not had to reboot for
anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends modem and the same
things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If anybody has any ideas
I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I have SP2. I have found what is happening just don't know what to do about
it. The local area connection is gone when I go to control panel, network
connection. I rebooted still wasn't there. The connection is through USB. I
turned off modem and then back on and it showed up. What would cause that.
Thanks for all your help
6 answers Last reply
More about losing network connection

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:48:40 -0500, not to bright wrote:

    > I have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. I have one computer
    > with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot, adware and registry
    > first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton Systemworks for viruses. The
    > problem is if I don't use my computer for awhile I can't connect to the
    > Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and reboot in order to connect.
    > I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have not had to reboot for
    > anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends modem and the same
    > things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If anybody has any ideas
    > I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    >
    > I have SP2. I have found what is happening just don't know what to do about
    > it. The local area connection is gone when I go to control panel, network
    > connection. I rebooted still wasn't there. The connection is through USB. I
    > turned off modem and then back on and it showed up. What would cause that.
    > Thanks for all your help

    It's possible that standby is breaking the connection between the hardware
    devices and the operating system/computer. In the meantime, dropping the
    ball for the internet connection as well.

    Go through Device Manager and for any item related to the USB modem (the
    modem, USB ports) - right click and select Properties. If there is a power
    management page, remove the check next to "allow computer to turn off this
    device to save power."

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    not to bright wrote:
    > I have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. I have one computer
    > with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot, adware and registry
    > first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton Systemworks for viruses. The
    > problem is if I don't use my computer for awhile I can't connect to the
    > Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and reboot in order to connect.
    > I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have not had to reboot for
    > anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends modem and the same
    > things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If anybody has any ideas
    > I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    >
    > I have SP2. I have found what is happening just don't know what to do about
    > it. The local area connection is gone when I go to control panel, network
    > connection. I rebooted still wasn't there. The connection is through USB. I
    > turned off modem and then back on and it showed up. What would cause that.
    > Thanks for all your help

    Just curious who's your DSL provider? Wouldn't happen to be Verizon
    would it?

    gls858

    Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to answer went camping. It did
    not work, still doing the same thing. Do you have any other suggestions.
    Thanks again.

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 07:27:59 -0500, not to bright wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to answer went camping. It did
    > not work, still doing the same thing. Do you have any other suggestions.
    > Thanks again.

    Does the modem have its own built-in standby controls? Does it need a
    firmware or driver update?

    Sorry, I'm not familiar with your modem type and have no specific
    suggestions. A search on google may lead to discussions about the device.
    You might be able to pick up a fix or workaround from reviewing those
    discussions.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I searched and didn't find anything. I don't think it's the modem. Like I
    said in first post I swapped modems with friend and the same thing happens.
    Any other suggestions. Thank you

    > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 07:27:59 -0500, not to bright wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to answer went camping. It
    >> did
    >> not work, still doing the same thing. Do you have any other suggestions.
    >> Thanks again.
    >
    > Does the modem have its own built-in standby controls? Does it need a
    > firmware or driver update?
    >
    > Sorry, I'm not familiar with your modem type and have no specific
    > suggestions. A search on google may lead to discussions about the device.
    > You might be able to pick up a fix or workaround from reviewing those
    > discussions.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi,

    Have you tried pinging to see if the connection is still available? I
    found this thread looking for a similar problem. I have WinME on a
    laptop and tend to lose my i-conn. after standby. My connection
    doesn't complete disappear, as in fact I can ping without problem, and
    not all my programs have problems recovering. Mozilla and MSN messenger
    will not recognise the connection while IE sometimes does and sometimes
    doesn't. And tadahh. Yes I have ZoneAlarm on my machine. This is the
    only machine I have ZA on and the only one with standby recovery
    problems, using the same modem. I also sometimes have problems as the
    trueVector 'something' that zoneAlarm requires often shuts down after a
    recovery from standby, causing the connection to lock. So there, ZA
    may be both your and my problem. And then again it may not.

    If it sounds familiar, then I'm sorry. Can't help you, I have no idea
    how to solve it but am glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
    Anyone else have a solution?

    "If I could live again I would eat
    more icecream and less beans"

    --
    IshtarsLionessPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Network Connection Connection Windows XP