Please Help windows xp just stopped working correctly

lindyhophopper

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
First if anyone is reading this thread I thank you for taking the time to help my with my problem! I have never tried to use forums to solve a problem by posting before. But I have learned that there are a lot of smart people out there that have helped me fix many problems just by reading the forums. If someone out there can help me to get out of the mess I got myself into I would be eternally grateful! :)

My problem:

I was messing around with services.msc disabling services that I did not feel I needed and comparing them to a website http://www.overclock.net/windows/73234-tweaking-guide-xp-services-services-msc.html to see if they were important to keep or not (this may or may not be related to my problem) But after I restarted my computer it took forever to start the start bar did not show up I could no longer connect to the internet and everything started to run slowly. I tried to open up services.msc again and enable everything so that I could go back and see if that fixed the problem but when I opened services.msc I could no longer change any of the properties of the entries? I then thought that I would try and restore my system with system restore but it gave me a message saying "system restore is not able to protect your computer please restart your computer. Please restart you computer, and then run system restore again." I searched the forums and performed all of the checks they suggested like make sure the service is running and it is set to automatic. I even tried running system restore in safe mode and got the same error. Certain windows applications only run partially for example I opened eventvwr.msc to look through my event logs but could not open up the events to read about them.

Thank you again for your time and help especially if you got this far :)

Brian

Windows XP sp2
AMD processor 1.6 mhz
1.0 gb Ram
Compaq laptop

Well, a brief search showed no specific manual 'repair' or 'default' solution for serices that I could find. A repair install od XP using the OS CD will reset the system back to the point of the installation CD. That would include setting the service back to the state of the CD. If it were my problem, I may consider a clean install of the OS.