Sign in with
Your question

Antispy ware & trojan protection software selection

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
June 6, 2007 8:15:45 PM

Hey guys, what is the best and most effective software out there with your experience for

1. scanning a computer for trojan/spyware?
2a. real time protect vs trojan/spyware?
2b. real time protect vs trojan/spyware but not a resource hog?

Any suggestions would be helpful, cause there are soo many out there... would love to hear your pros/cons/opinions.

Thanks in advance.
June 6, 2007 8:49:39 PM

I use the firewall that comes with windows XP SP2.Also AVG,the free version,and spybot search and destroy which comes with an immunize feature for realtime protection.
June 6, 2007 8:58:45 PM

Agreed
June 6, 2007 9:12:51 PM

For antivirus I use NOD32 (which also protects from spyware/adware/malware/trojans etc)

For further spyware/malware/adware I use Ad-aware SE Pro (I scan my system once every 2-3 weeks) and I also use Spyware Search and Destroy which is a nice one for free which I also use once very 2-3 weeks.

I also have Windows XP firewall activated since my NVIDIA ActiveArmor has been giving me problems this lasts days (I believe because the last drivers, 9.53, were released on november? something that got me annoyed from NVIDIA, starting to give more attention to vista than XP grrrr)
June 6, 2007 9:16:54 PM

Agreed
Spybot: Search and Destroy "worked for me!"
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Hijack THIS! {great to install on a clean system}
http://www.merijn.org/programs.php

Spyware Blaster {REAL TIME pro... block list}
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

oh and...
ad-aware {not to be installed with S:S&D}
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_persona...

and my old time favorite anti-spyware resource site
http://spywarewarrior.com/
June 6, 2007 9:31:18 PM

Use Blink.

Written by a guy that was busted by the Feds for hacking into Goverment computers when he was 17!

The company he is now part of (eEye) is the one that is always finding exploits in Windows and a driveing force for most all Microsoft security updates.

Blink and other eEye products are HOW this company finds these exploits.....the software it's self does it when the computer is attacked.

They have a free 1 year trail version as well.
http://www.eeye.com/html/index.html

You can hear his interview with Steve Gibson from a few weeks ago on Security Now by going to http://www.grc.com
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2007 9:36:33 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, what is the best and most effective software out there with your experience for

Any suggestions would be helpful, cause there are soo many out there... would love to hear your pros/cons/opinions.

Thanks in advance.

as a tech, ewido or now known as avg anti spyware works a charm for spyware and antivirus, avg has to be the worse selection ever, not worth it, its like false security.

PcCillin and Norton do protect your systems well at a cost...
Anonymous
June 6, 2007 9:39:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

as a tech, ewido or now known as avg anti spyware works a charm for spyware and antivirus, avg has to be the worse selection ever, not worth it, its like false security.

LoL you said AVG works like a charm, then say its the worst ever... which is it?
June 6, 2007 9:42:09 PM

As a person who does this for a living (cleaning spyware/viruses...)

Virus protection / removal:

AVG is great. Most customers already have the standard Mcafee, Symantec, Norton, Panda.... But AVG is still the one we use as far as reliability, simplicity, and most of all, ability to detect and remove viruses.

Spyware protection / removal:

Sorry to say, but one program will not do the job.
Each genuine spyware scanning program will find upwards of 50-70% of spyware on any given system. Our shop uses up to 10 different antispyware programs to clean a machine and 3 to defend against new infections.

Recommended products for protecting a "CLEAN" machine.
Spysweeper. $30: This is a great real-time scanner that does it's job very well. We recomend this to all our customers (we do not sell it) so we make no money by giving our opinion.

Alternatives:
Spyware doctor works great as well, though I find it lacking behind Spysweeper. Cost is also $30.

Ewido: A better alternative to other options.

-------------------------------------------------
addition to your active high quality scanner, you need some more programs to catch what active scanner missed.

Ad-aware / Spybot search and destroy. These are almost a requirement.
Run them once a week.
June 6, 2007 9:48:33 PM

Quote:

LoL you said AVG works like a charm, then say its the worst ever... which is it?[/quote]

Pardon? Norton is at most mediocre. It uses way to much resources, and most importantly, has the tendency to break, taking the system with it. Since the program integrates into all parts of the computer, I have seen it take out MS Office, Engineering tools, or the OS due to registry errors.

Also: Norton AV has a hard time removing viruses it can catch, and a seemingly easy time removing viruses attached to system files (aka required to boot).

Pc Cillin is not one I have extensive positive results with.

As a comparison, the government uses Symantec, which uses the least amount of resources and rates very well.
June 6, 2007 10:01:02 PM

For spyware I use a combination of Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware. A while back my computer got infested with spyware/trojans. SuperAntiSpyware was the only thing that finally cleaned everything up. I had used AdAware, Spybot, and Norton Antivirus before that without luck. SuperAntiSpyware sounds like a cheesy name, but it works well.

For antivirus/firewall I use Norton Internet Security 2005. I know lots of people hate it, but it works well for me.
June 6, 2007 10:09:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

As a comparison, the government uses Symantec, which uses the least amount of resources and rates very well.

Aren't Norton products made by Symantec? I thought essentially they were one in the same.
June 6, 2007 10:15:09 PM

I use Kaspersky. It isn't a hog and you'd be surprised on how much it picks up.
June 6, 2007 10:16:24 PM

Quote:
Use Blink.

Written by a guy that was busted by the Feds for hacking into Goverment computers when he was 17!

The company he is now part of (eEye) is the one that is always finding exploits in Windows and a driveing force for most all Microsoft security updates.

Blink and other eEye products are HOW this company finds these exploits.....the software it's self does it when the computer is attacked.

You can hear his interview with Steve Gibson from a few weeks ago on Security Now by going to http://www.grc.com

Why do people keep saying Norton/Symantec "use too much resources" and then use usless AVG/NOD32.....do they have old Vic20 computers?

I run both Blink and Symantec Corperate at the same time while I play online.....no problems.

Also Blink is a AV as well as trojan/spyware.
June 6, 2007 10:22:58 PM

They are completely different products. Symantec is geared towards network environments. I have not used AVG's cooperate version so I can not offer a comparison.
June 6, 2007 10:25:58 PM

Personally, I'm a big fan of Avira AntiVir. It's free and works. For spyware, Spybot S&D is great, especially with Tea Timer (registry protection) and SDHelper (IE protection) enabled. I've yet to have a problem since I started using these apps a couple years ago.

I've fixed computers for people who were using Norton Antivirus or Symantec Corporate, and in most cases the viruses/trojans/malware had assumed control of the antivirus software. To me that says a lot about the quality of the overpriced, above-stated products.
June 6, 2007 10:56:40 PM

What I use now:
avg
windows defender
adaware
windows firewall
linksys router

if worried about getting a virus from email or browsing then try vmware player with the browser appliance. You can set up your email in the virtual machine and also safely browse the web. The virtual machine loads and runs fast on my Pentium D805 as if it was running natively.

hope this helps.
June 6, 2007 11:21:06 PM

I use Spybot and Adaware for spywares and Avast! for viruses. Hijackthis is also a must but you have to know what your doing with it.
June 7, 2007 12:26:55 AM

at my store we recomend a combination of AVG, Adaware SE, and Spybot.

between those 3 you are pretty much covered. some people have preferences towards different antivirus programs. but for the price and performance AVG is great.

we used to recomend Avast but have noticed problems with virus removal and deleting import system files.

Symantec is network based, it is a proven fact Norton is a resource killer.
McAffee will tell you theres problems, but it wont fix them. and yes both are suseptable to being over run by viruses, why? because they are the 2 top corporate antivirus programs. might as well put a BIG RED target on your chest and turn off your firewalls.

my personal experience with NOD32 was good, and even better in XP x64 as it is a native 64bit kernal. its very easy to setup and use. also does a pretty good job.

Adaware and spybot are definate musts. then antivirus is pretty much your choice.

i also saw that someone said not to run spybot and adaware on the same comp, why? or did i misunderstand.
June 7, 2007 4:37:20 AM

My business computers are bug free.

Just installing the WinXP SP2 Firewall and keeping the employees away from the Russian p_rn sites is about 90% of the solution to keeping a clean computer. Alas, for the remaining 10% of the problems we have to use antivirus software.

(For webtrollers and active downloaders the % of problems is most likely higher, but that is directly related to their activity.)

By the way, ALL antivirus, spyware etc etc detectors are resource hogs. Some may be more that others, but those crying resource hog seldom provide any analytical data to backup their marketing claims that their products are actually better.
June 7, 2007 4:47:45 AM

IMO, I dont recommend Symantec, any solution (probably ghost or pcanywhere but not other)

I used them for 2 years and I dont know why. Made my system slooooooooooooooooooooow, booting times and perfomance. Never gonna buy it again nor try it.

Also, has one of the worse spyware detectors in the world.
June 7, 2007 1:49:53 PM

Okay, I will say this one more time.....

1, 2, or even 3 products alone will not catch all spyware.

Our shop uses:

Spybot SD
Adaware
Ewido --> now AVG antispyware
Windows Defender
Spyware Doctor
Spysweeper
Trend Micro
HijackThis (not quite a spyware scanner)
Rook kit scanners
----------------------
And each program finds spyware to remove that the rest doesn't.
I am not talking about cookies either.

Now: If you think just because your system isn't slow, and you dont get popups.... and adaware doesn't find anything, You Are Clean....
June 7, 2007 3:55:03 PM

Quote:
Okay, I will say this one more time.....

1, 2, or even 3 products alone will not catch all spyware.

Our shop uses:

Spybot SD
Adaware
Ewido --> now AVG antispyware
Windows Defender
Spyware Doctor
Spysweeper
Trend Micro
HijackThis (not quite a spyware scanner)
Rook kit scanners
----------------------
And each program finds spyware to remove that the rest doesn't.
I am not talking about cookies either.

Now: If you think just because your system isn't slow, and you dont get popups.... and adaware doesn't find anything, You Are Clean....

First 2 are obligatory.
Antivirus, each one decides what to go for (I recommend NOD32, AVG and Kapersky)
Windows defender was a good one too, but I notice it slows down your system a little bit.
Spydoctor, never heard that much people using it
Spyweeper is one of the best antispywares out there together with adaware and Spyware SD

Never tried hijackthis and rootkit remover, dont know what to say about them.
June 7, 2007 4:16:40 PM

Hijackthis is a tool for removing spyware and other forms of infections... as well as some program code that gets left behind... services,....

Spyware Doctor is near equal to Spysweeper.
And Rootkit scanners are something that most spyware scanners dont have (except for a few, such as Spysweeper). Nothing like having a clean system except for a rootkit hidden infection.
June 7, 2007 4:25:31 PM

One of the latest updates for AntiVir, within the last month, added an optional rootkit scanner.
June 7, 2007 5:43:58 PM

As Comptia_Rep is trying to point out, one scanner solution is not enough. That is more important to keep in mind with rootkits. Here are the dirs in my dongle that consern this thread,
Antivirus;
AntiVir
avast!
AVG
ClamAV
Fprot
MiscAV
NAV
RootKitter
virus removal tools
Web-based Utils
WinDefend

Antispyware;
ADAWARE
AVG
BHO
COOLWEBTOOLS
ELITETOOLBAR
HiJackThis
HOTBAR
KAZKILL
Kill2Me
NAILKILLER
NORTON REMOVAL
SPAMBLOCKER
SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY
UNHACKDEF.BAT
VX2FINDER.EXE
WINTOOLKILL

Note that there is an entire Rootkit dir;
AVG_AntiRootkit_1.0.0.13.exe
bitdefender_antirootkit-BETA1.exe
fsbl.exe
gmer.exe
Gromozon.exe
hookanlz.exe
icesword1.18en.rar
PandaAntiRootkit.rar
RootkitBuster.exe
RootkitRevealer.exe
Rootkit_Detective.exe
sar13sfx.exe
unhackme450b.exe

My lab is much more comprehensive but with these tools I can make any system I walk up to usable, assuming it *can* be made usable.
June 7, 2007 7:13:05 PM

I have not met a machine that I could not recover after a spyware infection. Sometimes it was not economical for the customer for us to (i.e. windows 95) but I have cleaned (and still do... sigh) many windows 98 machines... and that is a pain i tell you what.

I had a customer one time who had one of the spyware programs that changed the font over to japanese (not a JP os) and all the sys settings were locked out, as well as the registry.

That was a fun one.

Nail (i.e. cool web search) was the biggest pain in the ass before there were tools to remove it.
June 7, 2007 7:44:34 PM

Quote:
I have not met a machine that I could not recover after a spyware infection. Sometimes it was not economical for the customer for us to (i.e. windows 95) but I have cleaned (and still do... sigh) many windows 98 machines... and that is a pain i tell you what.

I had a customer one time who had one of the spyware programs that changed the font over to japanese (not a JP os) and all the sys settings were locked out, as well as the registry.

That was a fun one.

Nail (i.e. cool web search) was the biggest pain in the ass before there were tools to remove it.

yes i get win 95 and 98 machines in all the time. yesterday i even had a request to install a dial up modem on a new vista machine. lol, dial up. (and yes i did it)

we even have to keep a couple of old serial mice around cus we get customers in the store who still have computers that use those. 8O
June 7, 2007 7:48:40 PM

My records so far,

Spyware: 14996 Win98SE
Viruses: 132857 mostly repeated instances of MyToB, `98SE

I don't have too much problem recovering from spywarez, just the true virus that infects a critical exe, dll or whatever.

Back to the OP, Unless you surf in "Bad Places", you should be okay running AVG Free for viruses. The new AdAware 2007 Free is pretty impressive and if it finds more than cookies run Spybot Search and Destroy.

If you surf to Bad Places, Learn or Die.
June 7, 2007 11:45:27 PM

My worse nightware with spyware was Spyware Sheriff

OMG! it changed my wallpaper to one that was a blue screen with a purple square in the middle saying "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE PLEASE CHECK YOUR TASKBAR TO SOLVE THIS"

So, the taskbar had this windows defender icon (which was actually the spyware) and whenever u click on it, a window would pop up (similar to adware) saying I had 130 infected files and that I had to buy Spyware SHeriff to eliminate them and clean them ($14.99).

I wasnt able to change my wallpaper, computer was slow, this icon on the taskbar wouldnt stop showing this ballons saying COMPUTER IS INFECTED! PLEASE READ ABOUT SPYWARE SHERIFF, also internet pages were randomly changed, pop ups about spyware sheriff....

In conclusion, for all the people who love those x-rated pages, please DONT DO IT without a good antivirus and a good anti-spyware (should I say have them updated?)
June 8, 2007 1:57:49 AM

Quote:
In conclusion, for all the people who love those x-rated pages, please DONT DO IT without a good antivirus and a good anti-spyware (should I say have them updated?)

I would like to just add that using a secure browser, for all browsing purposes, goes a long way. Opera brags to be the most secure, and I'm guessing that Firefox is very close behind. Basically, don't use IE unless you have to and you have Spybot SDHelper turned on.
June 8, 2007 2:15:29 AM

Well, I use IE because I have used it my hole life and I pretty much dont feel comfortable with Firefox...

BUT I WILL CHANGE ONCE 3.0 IS OUT! I PROMISE! :lol: 

Anyways, I dont go to those webpages not only because of spyware but because they all make u pay now :evil:  so is a waste of time :wink:
June 8, 2007 2:44:23 AM

Quote:

OMG! it changed my wallpaper to one that was a blue screen with a purple square in the middle saying "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE PLEASE CHECK YOUR TASKBAR TO SOLVE THIS"

So, the taskbar had this windows defender icon (which was actually the spyware) and whenever u click on it, a window would pop up (similar to adware) saying I had 130 infected files and that I had to buy Spyware SHeriff to eliminate them and clean them ($14.99).

I wasnt able to change my wallpaper, computer was slow, this icon on the taskbar wouldnt stop showing this ballons saying COMPUTER IS INFECTED! PLEASE READ ABOUT SPYWARE SHERIFF, also internet pages were randomly changed, pop ups about spyware sheriff....

moral of the story...use protection.

and yes another program notorious for that kind of behavior is "regmechanic" (god i hate that program)

what is does is one of 2 things, either the "customer" sees the ad for reg mechanic and how it "speeds up your computer" so they download it, and run it.

or, it comes as a pop up, and a very good one at that, it is nearly a command prompt window, that says something along the lines of, your computer isnt optimized and if left alone may discontinue to function. once downloaded the program scans the computer, says theres registry errors that cant be fixed, unless you pay $19.95 of course.
June 8, 2007 4:29:38 PM

Quote:

Amen
June 11, 2007 6:06:04 PM

Quote:

and yes another program notorious for that kind of behavior is "regmechanic" (god i hate that program)

what is does is one of 2 things, either the "customer" sees the ad for reg mechanic and how it "speeds up your computer" so they download it, and run it.

or, it comes as a pop up, and a very good one at that, it is nearly a command prompt window, that says something along the lines of, your computer isnt optimized and if left alone may discontinue to function. once downloaded the program scans the computer, says theres registry errors that cant be fixed, unless you pay $19.95 of course.

Spysherif was actually..... god, wtf is the name of that spyware...
Well it is a version of the original that did it. You know you got spyware when your background changes and you dont have permission to control panel any longer.
June 11, 2007 6:16:34 PM

Spyware Doctor has never let me down, and is one of the best programs out there. There's been several times when it's caught stuff that other's haven't.
June 11, 2007 6:22:31 PM

Did you read my first reply (page 1).

Spyware doctor is one of the best, but it misses about %30 percent of the spyware out there.

That is 3 of every 10 spyware that hit your system. Use other freeware programs to reduce this amount even further.
June 11, 2007 6:39:46 PM

Quote:

Spysherif was actually..... god, wtf is the name of that spyware...
Well it is a version of the original that did it. You know you got spyware when your background changes and you dont have permission to control panel any longer.

Yes! I had no access to control panel or screen options GRRR! it was a nightware.
I had to use adware, SP S&D, Norton etc but I think I ended up formating the pc after 2 weeks :p 
June 11, 2007 7:38:03 PM

Two things clean up (spyfox?) that tier of spyware:

Safemode:
Hijackthis.

Plus, edit registry for startup items,
you might need to edit NTFS permissions
blah blah blah.
See it all the time.
June 11, 2007 8:09:51 PM

Quote:

Muwahaha!!!! That was the laugh of the day.

I religiously use AVG and SpySweeper along with several of the aforementioned programs.

Edit: Is it possible to do something religiously^2?
June 11, 2007 8:35:31 PM

Well, I don't use any spyware detection software. 8O And I can't remember the last time i got one either. I use a tool that has virtually no resources spent on it, and in the worst case, it makes my internet surfing faster!

Check this out: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

It's a HOSTS file that has like 50000 sites and it redirects all the 'bad' servers to 127.0.0.1. OOPS! No going to any bad sites for me! It's great cause if one were to get on your computer it can't ever call home,or ever update itself. It blocks alot of ads too. Only drawbacks I've seen is it blocks some porn sites(which I don't care about) , and when you search for certain things in google and it lists the link as an ad at the top the ad won't work. but if you scroll down a few items it's always in the top 10 anyway.

I use Symantec AV Corp. Edition on all of my PCs and I occasionally use my bootCD of adaware to check for anything else nefarious. But i will say this. I have used the HOSTS file at a small company that had 10 workstations and 2 servers, and I never once had them end up with anything bad for the 2 years I was their admin. At home I surf and I go wherever I want whenever I want and I haven't found even 1 adware/spyware hit on any of my computers this year. I think it's better to just not get that crap on your computer to begin with than try to stop it after the fact. Isn't it better to not give out your credit card number at all then give it out and try to control it afterwards? I swear by this HOSTS file, and it's updated twice a month.
June 11, 2007 8:46:32 PM

Firefox

NOD32
Windows Firewall

Clean with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware twice a month

I havent had a problem since "I dont know when"!
June 11, 2007 9:07:45 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned PrevX1.

Best I've ever used for malware, spy, etc. That's the only one that cleaned my system, when most of the ones mentioned above missed them.
June 11, 2007 9:13:38 PM

Kaspersky
HijackThis
adaware
cccleaner
June 11, 2007 9:16:59 PM

Agreed KASPERSKY, there is not a sweeter sound than a screaming woman finding a trojan !!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 11, 2007 9:18:06 PM

Agreed KASPERSKY, there is not a sweeter sound than a screaming woman finding a trojan !!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
June 11, 2007 9:55:20 PM

@thecompukid,

I see a lot of responses going OT, so my answer to your request for an Anti-Trojan w/real-time protection, low resource usage:
http://www.comodo.com/boclean/CBO_download.html.

Now, it does use a fair amount of system resources on bootup, but calms down pretty quickly.

You might want check out more Comodo products:
http://www.comodo.com/

And, no I do not have any type of affiliation with Comodo, they just have good freeware!
June 11, 2007 10:29:21 PM

Quote:
Use Blink.

Why do people keep saying Norton/Symantec "use too much resources" and then use usless AVG/NOD32.....do they have old Vic20 computers?

I run both Blink and Symantec Corperate at the same time while I play online.....no problems.

Also Blink is a AV as well as trojan/spyware.

Norton consumer and corporate products are about as similar as a K car and a NASCAR.
!