cdkey invalid ?

Hi!

In multiplayer mode, I sometimes get the error message "invalid cd key", but
only on certain servers. Connecting to and playing on other servers works
fine. Needless to say, my CD key is fine. Anyone knows what's going on here,
and what to do about it?
5 answers Last reply
More about cdkey invalid

    Alexander Oberhuber wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > In multiplayer mode, I sometimes get the error message "invalid cd key", but
    > only on certain servers. Connecting to and playing on other servers works
    > fine. Needless to say, my CD key is fine. Anyone knows what's going on here,
    > and what to do about it?

    I get that, too. Sometimes, I restart Quake, sometimes I go into the
    setup and select CD Key and just re-accept it, and most of the time I
    just try another server.

    Cheers,
    -Scott

    S Yanoff <yanoff@NOSPAMMING> wrote:

    >I get that, too. Sometimes, I restart Quake, sometimes I go into the
    >setup and select CD Key and just re-accept it, and most of the time I
    >just try another server.

    Same here. I've got no clue why. Cheers to ya too. :)

    its because you have duplicate cd key set ups in your base q3 files. this
    happens alot when you use mods...

    To all of you with this problem... here is my solution to it, and it works
    everytime...
    inside your baseq3 folder... you'll see the q3key file

    delete it

    then start up q3, retype your cdkey and you should be back in the game. I've
    had to do that every once in a while and it works everytime. =) hope this
    helps you guys out. after a few times i memorized my cdkey, so now it's no
    hassle to go and look for the CD case =)

    http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy3d/topic.asp?fid=4356&tid=497040&p=2

    "Alexander Oberhuber" <aloh@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > In multiplayer mode, I sometimes get the error message "invalid cd key",
    but
    > only on certain servers. Connecting to and playing on other servers works
    > fine. Needless to say, my CD key is fine. Anyone knows what's going on
    here,
    > and what to do about it?

    Tried that, deleted the cd key file, re-entered it, "accepted" try to
    play no luck. Tried re-booting. Nope. I have the cd in the drive. I'm
    not using Gamespy. This has been a problem with Quake for YEARS and
    still people are having problems. I was playing it a couple of hrs
    ago, now can't get it to work.

    did you change your config file??

Multiplayer CD-Rom Error Message Servers Video Games