8800GTS - 320MB or 640MB?

Benjamonous

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I'm looking at purchasing an 8800GTS and pairing it with a Dell 2407 Wide Screen Display with a 1920x1200 resolution.

Cost is an issue, so I'm trying to find out which card will give me the best bang for the buck, while still making full use of the high resolution display during gaming.

Should I get the 320MB version or the 640MB version? Will there be much of a difference?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I'm looking at purchasing an 8800GTS and pairing it with a Dell 2407 Wide Screen Display with a 1920x1200 resolution.

Cost is an issue, so I'm trying to find out which card will give me the best bang for the buck, while still making full use of the high resolution display during gaming.

Should I get the 320MB version or the 640MB version? Will there be much of a difference?

None of them.

To be honest if your a gamer (why else buy a high end card)......you are really better off waiting a few more months (like next year).

The 8800's use a hell of alot of 12 volt amps and have issues with a few games (drivers?).

Untill then if you REALLY want an upgrade just get a 7900GT and play your games at a normal res instead of trying to push it past what the games were made to run at.

After all what game can't run on the top end card they were WRITTEN to use when they were published?

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

640 version will help you at high resolution and higher AA and AF levels.....

It`s hard to say how high .... it depends what kind of games are we talking about here...the 320 version should hold you at medium resolutions ...... 1600x1200 most of the games .....

pauldh

Illustrious
None of them.

To be honest if your a gamer (why else buy a high end card)......you are really better off waiting a few more months (like next year).

The 8800's use a hell of alot of 12 volt amps and have issues with a few games (drivers?).

Untill then if you REALLY want an upgrade just get a 7900GT and play your games at a normal res instead of trying to push it past what the games were made to run at.

After all what game can't run on the top end card they were WRITTEN to use when they were published?
:?: I honestly can't follow your logic. If he is a true gamer he should run 10x7 on a 7900GT until next year instead of enjoying 1920x1200, higher details, and better IQ now?

I agree 100%

For that resolution the 320MB is a non-starter, the GTX is expensive and only for those not worried about price in any way. The GTS-640 is the solution.

And while there will be better options coming out by the fall, my old adage still stands, buy the best fit now GTS-640, and then roll it over later when the 65nm refreshes come out if the need arises again.