Need assistance choosing a replacement router on Verizon FIOS

Futzy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
I have Verizon FIOS for business, and they gave me an Actiontec router when I started, but it is now dying, and they won't replace it for free. Given that I was never that happy with it, I certainly don't relish the thought of paying for a replacement one, so I'd like to buy a new one without going through them. The problem is I can't seem to locate a router that has all the features I need and the speed I need without paying an arm and a leg. For example, pretty much all of the consumer class routers don't support one-to-one NAT, which I need for two of my servers. I had an old Linksys laying around, and I've used that to at least get my PCs up and running, but none of my servers are functional because they have (external) static IPs different than the one assigned to the router, and the Linksys doesn't understand that, and I think most consumer class routers have that limitation (although if someone knows of one that doesn't, please let me know). So when I searched for routers that do support one to one NAT, I found the Netgear FVS124G, but it's two years old, and according to its specs, it's slower than my FIOS connection (15M down, 2M up). It appears to have a newer cousin in the FVS336G, but on the list of its specs, one to one NAT no longer shows up, so I'm afraid it won't work.

If anyone knows of a device that will work given this scenario, please let me know.

ericfraschilla

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
although the configuration of creating your own router is not only magnificent, but also very cheap "the cost of a server or whitebox"

Linksys does have an option that supports one to one NAT it's the RV016, however your right there expensive "about 400"

My FIOS router isn't adding up to my 15MBps plan, is there any way to boost performance without stopping the relentless downloading I do. I went to tcpIQ and tried out there free products. seems I'm at 6-7MBps at peak hours. I thought FIOS was a dedicated line that had the unlimited bandwidth, but I could be wrong I won't say why. can I use a switch instead and just flash the FIOS rule set to the firmware.

also has anyone ever heard of blacktron? I found it on an old server in the ninties, but the site consolidated all there good music out of there site http://www.scene.org/; I'd like to hear the song with the lyrics "it's funny when they tell the story of your life," and the one based on the star trek movie where they are taken by the what is now called the raeth in sg-1. it's odd that in star trek you could exist inside of it.

TRENDING THREADS