Win2K and DMA

G

I am having trouble with Windows 2000. It won't recognize that my hard drive is capable of DMA. I know that DMA works with a hard drive (IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB) in Windows 98SE and ME. I have set the drive to "DMA if available" and the setting says I'm using "PIO". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was just about to post the exact same thing. I will post the answer if I find one.

My system

Asus CUSL2
PIII 800
IBM 60GB hard drive
ATI AIW Radeon
Diamond MX300
Linksys LNE100TX
256MB RAM

Thanks

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PIO (I believe) is old stuff for enhancing drive speed. Chenck in Bios. Should be set to ATA, Ultra ATA.

My best guess. Was just reading on HDs and is what I remember.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

From Jsi, inc.:

2200 » How do I enable UDMA66 support on my Winodws 2000 Intel platform?
ATA/66 support is disabled by default.
If your device supports it, and you have a proper 80-conductor IDE ribbon cable, you can enable it by using Regedt32 to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

On the Edit menu, Add Value name EnableUDMA66, as a type REG_DWORD value. Set the data value to 1.

Shutdown and restart your computer.

You can't do ATA/100 without a hotfix; wait for SP2.

G

I had the same problem with an ASUS P3B-F m/board. In the BIOS under the hard drive identification area there was an option to enable UDMA, which I had done. This seemed to conflict with Win2K - I found that by disabling UDMA in the BIOS, Win2k then recognised the drive as UDMA in Device Manager (this was confirmed by the appropriate change in the registry. Hope this helps