Doom III Movement Speed

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not going to waste my money on Doom III. Sure, the graphics will
be state of the art. The lighting will be beautiful and unlike
anything we've seen before in a game. The physics engine will be
technically superb. I'm sure the game will be great, but I'm not
interested.

You see, the problem is that I've played it before. It was called
Half Life then, or it was called Halo, or it was called Counter
Strike, or BF1942, or whatever the FPS flavor of the month was. It
didn't have the eye candy that Doom III will have, but it was the same
exact game. You walk around blasting people. That's about it. They
are all exactly the same.

What set Quake 3 apart was the movement speed. In Q3 you could move
so fast you could very nearly dodge bullets ala The Matrix. It is
impossible to camp in Quake. People tried all the time but I was
always able to move fast enough to close the distance with them
between rail shots and nail them with a close range shotgun blast.
I'm not aware of any other FPS game where that's possible.

In Quake, when you meet an opponent, you dance around each other
jockeying for position, strafe jumping, dodging, doing tricks. It's
more like kung fu than it is like a gun fight.

What differentiates one FPS from another are things like graphics, eye
candy, wiz-bang weapons, the story line. But once you get past all
that they are all exactly the same. The gameplay is the same, and
I've done it all plenty of times.

Quake 3 is the only one that's different.

On 21 Jul 2004 08:29:00 -0700, enave@m-net.arbornet.org (eric) wrote:

>I'm not going to waste my money on Doom III. Sure, the graphics will
>be state of the art. The lighting will be beautiful and unlike
>anything we've seen before in a game. The physics engine will be
>technically superb. I'm sure the game will be great, but I'm not
>interested.
>
>You see, the problem is that I've played it before. It was called
>Half Life then, or it was called Halo, or it was called Counter
>Strike, or BF1942, or whatever the FPS flavor of the month was. It
>didn't have the eye candy that Doom III will have, but it was the same
>exact game. You walk around blasting people. That's about it. They
>are all exactly the same.
>
>What set Quake 3 apart was the movement speed. In Q3 you could move
>so fast you could very nearly dodge bullets ala The Matrix. It is
>impossible to camp in Quake. People tried all the time but I was
>always able to move fast enough to close the distance with them
>between rail shots and nail them with a close range shotgun blast.
>I'm not aware of any other FPS game where that's possible.
>
>In Quake, when you meet an opponent, you dance around each other
>jockeying for position, strafe jumping, dodging, doing tricks. It's
>more like kung fu than it is like a gun fight.
>
>What differentiates one FPS from another are things like graphics, eye
>candy, wiz-bang weapons, the story line. But once you get past all
>that they are all exactly the same. The gameplay is the same, and
>I've done it all plenty of times.
>
>Quake 3 is the only one that's different.

Well said Sir
/me doffs cap in your direction

www.havoc6.com

.............UT2004 pretty gfx ,still can't beat good old quake 3 ..............

eric wrote:

<snip>

Im not gettin Doom3 for the MP part. I want to be scared shitless in SP
And im sure Mr.Carmack will deliver on that part.

Good thing Im still off work when we can get it over here
Bye bye sun
--

/t

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I think you under estimate id software who are the innovators...the doom3
engine will be the platform for q4. it will be an upgrade of the q3 gaming
experience with the differences you choose to acknowledge when comparing q3
to other fps...wait and see.q3 only in superb detail. what more could anyone
ask for..
be good
"eric" <enave@m-net.arbornet.org> wrote in message
> I'm not going to waste my money on Doom III. Sure, the graphics will
> be state of the art. The lighting will be beautiful and unlike
> anything we've seen before in a game. The physics engine will be
> technically superb. I'm sure the game will be great, but I'm not
> interested.
>
> You see, the problem is that I've played it before. It was called
> Half Life then, or it was called Halo, or it was called Counter
> Strike, or BF1942, or whatever the FPS flavor of the month was. It
> didn't have the eye candy that Doom III will have, but it was the same
> exact game. You walk around blasting people. That's about it. They
> are all exactly the same.
>
> What set Quake 3 apart was the movement speed. In Q3 you could move
> so fast you could very nearly dodge bullets ala The Matrix. It is
> impossible to camp in Quake. People tried all the time but I was
> always able to move fast enough to close the distance with them
> between rail shots and nail them with a close range shotgun blast.
> I'm not aware of any other FPS game where that's possible.
>
> In Quake, when you meet an opponent, you dance around each other
> jockeying for position, strafe jumping, dodging, doing tricks. It's
> more like kung fu than it is like a gun fight.
>
> What differentiates one FPS from another are things like graphics, eye
> candy, wiz-bang weapons, the story line. But once you get past all
> that they are all exactly the same. The gameplay is the same, and
> I've done it all plenty of times.
>
> Quake 3 is the only one that's different.

enave@m-net.arbornet.org (eric) wrote:

>What differentiates one FPS from another are things like graphics, eye
>candy, wiz-bang weapons, the story line. But once you get past all
>that they are all exactly the same. The gameplay is the same, and
>I've done it all plenty of times.
>
>Quake 3 is the only one that's different.

Exactly! I could not have said it better. Oh yes, and count in RTCW (Return to
Castle Wolfenstein) in the list of ever the same FPS's, aswell.

Alexander Oberhuber wrote:
> enave@m-net.arbornet.org (eric) wrote:
>
>> What differentiates one FPS from another are things like graphics,
>> eye candy, wiz-bang weapons, the story line. But once you get past
>> all that they are all exactly the same. The gameplay is the same,
>> and I've done it all plenty of times.
>>
>> Quake 3 is the only one that's different.
>
> Exactly! I could not have said it better. Oh yes, and count in RTCW
> (Return to Castle Wolfenstein) in the list of ever the same FPS's,
> aswell.

I take it this means you couldn't afford to buy the games, let alone
upgrade your system to where it would run them enjoyably. So sorry!
Not our fault though!
McG.

graeme

> I'm not going to waste my money on Doom III.

Should you not just end you post here?

> Sure, the graphics will
> be state of the art. The lighting will be beautiful and unlike
> anything we've seen before in a game. The physics engine will be
> technically superb. I'm sure the game will be great, but I'm not
> interested.

Sounds good. I'm interested, tell me more...

> You see, the problem is that I've played it before. It was called
> Half Life

I loved Half-Life, excellent story.

> then, or it was called Halo, or it was called Counter
> Strike, or BF1942, or whatever the FPS flavor of the month was. It
> didn't have the eye candy that Doom III will have, but it was the same
> exact game. You walk around blasting people. That's about it. They
> are all exactly the same.

Great, aren't they.

> What set Quake 3 apart was the movement speed. In Q3 you could move
> so fast you could very nearly dodge bullets ala The Matrix. It is
> impossible to camp in Quake. People tried all the time but I was
> always able to move fast enough to close the distance with them
> between rail shots and nail them with a close range shotgun blast.

You sound like Superman. Which servers do you play on?

> I'm not aware of any other FPS game where that's possible.
>
> In Quake, when you meet an opponent, you dance around each other
> jockeying for position, strafe jumping, dodging, doing tricks. It's
> more like kung fu than it is like a gun fight.

A very good description, unless your opponent is camping.

> What differentiates one FPS from another are things like graphics, eye
> candy, wiz-bang weapons, the story line.

The story line. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

> But once you get past all
> that they are all exactly the same. The gameplay is the same, and
> I've done it all plenty of times.
>
> Quake 3 is the only one that's different.

True. There is no story here.

Do you watch TV, sit-coms, soaps, quiz shows, or even go to the movies? You
know, if you've seen one episode/movie, then you've seen 'em all. Except the
special effects might be better, or the story might be different. But in
essence, they're all the same - right?! Sheesh!