No Boot Windows XP, 2.8Ghz desktop

June 3, 2005 7:19:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.

Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or Boot
order does not work.

I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:19:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

While the pc is first booting up....
Tap & repeat tapping the F8 Function key before the "Starting Windows"
message appears.

It sounds like you are not pressing (tapping) F8 at the right time.

Remove the XP CD. Then power up your pc, and retry F8.

If no joy, provide exact details at how you are trying this, and the Make /
model of this pc.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Ritter197" wrote

> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>
> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
> Boot order does not work.
>
> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:03:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I should have mentioned what I see:

AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
Speed 2.8 GHZ
Press Del to run Setup
Press F8 for BBS Popup
DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
Cecking NVRAM

and that is where it hangs!

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>
> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
> Boot order does not work.
>
> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>
> Any suggestions?

June 3, 2005 8:03:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ritter197,
Do see my other note.

This info would likely be from your BIOS post startup. Is that true?

The thing about getting to bootup options... you want to catch it after the
BIOS post, and before Windows begins to load.

What is make/model & how does your manufacturer sepecify the bootup-option
key?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Ritter197" wrote
>I should have mentioned what I see:
>
> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
> Speed 2.8 GHZ
> Press Del to run Setup
> Press F8 for BBS Popup
> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
> Cecking NVRAM
>

> and that is where it hangs!

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:43:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I gave you all I can.. I hit F8 repeatedly and have in years past also done
that (very seldom a need for it)

Computer is custom built by local shop.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
> While the pc is first booting up....
> Tap & repeat tapping the F8 Function key before the "Starting Windows"
> message appears.
>
> It sounds like you are not pressing (tapping) F8 at the right time.
>
> Remove the XP CD. Then power up your pc, and retry F8.
>
> If no joy, provide exact details at how you are trying this, and the Make
> / model of this pc.
>

> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> ---
>
> "Ritter197" wrote
>
>> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
>> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
>> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>>
>> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
>> Boot order does not work.
>>
>> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:49:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Checking NVRAM is part of the CMOS/BIOS start up. If this failes, it could
be that the CMOS/BIOS setting are screwed up. Access the BIOS screen and
check to see if the hard drive is correctly listed. If it is not listed,
then the CMOS battery may be dead and you would need to replace it. It is
normally fairly easy to replace. Pop out the old coin cell and replace it
with a new one. Then, redo the BIOS set ups.

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>
> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
> Boot order does not work.
>
> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:53:04 PM

> I gave you all I can.. I hit F8 repeatedly and have in years past also
done
> that (very seldom a need for it)
>
> Computer is custom built by local shop.
>

> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > While the pc is first booting up....
> > Tap & repeat tapping the F8 Function key before the "Starting Windows"
> > message appears.
> >
> > It sounds like you are not pressing (tapping) F8 at the right time.
> >
> > Remove the XP CD. Then power up your pc, and retry F8.
> >
> > If no joy, provide exact details at how you are trying this, and the
Make
> > / model of this pc.
> >

> > --
> > Maurice N
> > MVP Windows - Shell / User
> > ---
> >
> > "Ritter197" wrote
> >
> >> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
> >> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
> >> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
> >>
> >> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
> >> Boot order does not work.
> >>
> >> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

=====================

Hard Drive failiure. Time to go back to the local shop. Denzil.

====================
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well, I can NOT access the BIOS screen since it allows me NOT to get into
anything via F8 or Delete.

Tapping either one many times does nothing. The CMOS battery is probably
less than 9 mos old though.

> Checking NVRAM is part of the CMOS/BIOS start up. If this failes, it
> could be that the CMOS/BIOS setting are screwed up. Access the BIOS
> screen and check to see if the hard drive is correctly listed. If it is
> not listed, then the CMOS battery may be dead and you would need to
> replace it. It is normally fairly easy to replace. Pop out the old coin
> cell and replace it with a new one. Then, redo the BIOS set ups.
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
>> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
>> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
>> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>>
>> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
>> Boot order does not work.
>>
>> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

So the battery most likely is OK. Contact the shop where you purchased this
system, and ask (1) which key(s) get you into BIOS setup, & (2) which key to
use to get bootup options.
Be aware that the Asus support website shows there are later BIOS releases
for your board.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
> Well, I can NOT access the BIOS screen since it allows me NOT to get into
> anything via F8 or Delete.
>
> Tapping either one many times does nothing. The CMOS battery is probably
> less than 9 mos old though.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:27:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

HD failure??? What in the world makes you come up with that answer
"Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I gave you all I can.. I hit F8 repeatedly and have in years past also
> done
>> that (very seldom a need for it)
>>
>> Computer is custom built by local shop.
>>

>> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > While the pc is first booting up....
>> > Tap & repeat tapping the F8 Function key before the "Starting Windows"
>> > message appears.
>> >
>> > It sounds like you are not pressing (tapping) F8 at the right time.
>> >
>> > Remove the XP CD. Then power up your pc, and retry F8.
>> >
>> > If no joy, provide exact details at how you are trying this, and the
> Make
>> > / model of this pc.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Maurice N
>> > MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> > ---
>> >
>> > "Ritter197" wrote

> =====================
>
> Hard Drive failiure. Time to go back to the local shop. Denzil.
>
> ====================

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:51:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I know it was in the past F8 and Del.

I have used it before.
I took the RAM out and re-inserted it just to make sure (it is Crucial RAM)
and it now says after the Checking NVRAM "Update OK!"

But there is where it stops.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o YIt9UIaFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> So the battery most likely is OK. Contact the shop where you purchased
> this system, and ask (1) which key(s) get you into BIOS setup, & (2) which
> key to use to get bootup options.
> Be aware that the Asus support website shows there are later BIOS releases
> for your board.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> ---
> "Ritter197" wrote
>> Well, I can NOT access the BIOS screen since it allows me NOT to get into
>> anything via F8 or Delete.
>>
>> Tapping either one many times does nothing. The CMOS battery is probably
>> less than 9 mos old though.

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:51:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Then the keys are the same. Power off pc. Wait perhaps a minute or so.
Power back up.
This time, tap & repeat tapping DEL to force it to get into BIOS setup.
See if it has an option for Fail Safe setting. If so, select that.

And do make sure you have no diskette or CD in the respective drives.

Now see if you can catch the point where you can tap F8 for Safe Mode.
BTW, have you made any hardware changes, add-ons, removals, or re-cabling or
been inside the pc case?
(granted you were just in there to move RAM around)
The point is to insure all cables are in the right places & secure. Make
sure your HD cables & connectors are OK and snug. Check on all power
connectors.
For the time being, power off any printer or external device (beyond mouse,
keyboard, and monitor).

If no joy, get a DOS diskette and use it to boot from ---- just to see if
that works.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

---
"Ritter197" wrote
>I know it was in the past F8 and Del.
>
> I have used it before.
> I took the RAM out and re-inserted it just to make sure (it is Crucial
> RAM) and it now says after the Checking NVRAM "Update OK!"
>
> But there is where it stops.

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 11:22:59 PM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:11:47 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general RE: Re: No Boot Windows XP, 2.8Ghz
desktop "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>The thing about getting to bootup options... you want to catch it after the
>BIOS post, and before Windows begins to load.

Is there anyway to get this to occure automatically without having to
time the F8 hit? Something like setting BootMenu=1 in MSDOS.sys in
Win98se?

June 3, 2005 11:38:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Let me start with the last. A floppy to boot into DOS does not work.

I have tried probably 20+ timess to tap repeatedly into DEL or F8. Does not
work.

I have taken the cables of the drives and re-attached them.

I also have taken out the battery for CMOS and checked it, it has the
correct voltage. Now that I have re-inserted the battery, I come to the
Pap800 (ASUS MB) screen and aagin it says to press delete, but I cannot get
to the CDROM which holds the ASUS MB infomation.

The KB connection in back of computer was also taken out and re-inserted,
just to make sure. So far I am stumped totally.

> Then the keys are the same. Power off pc. Wait perhaps a minute or so.
> Power back up.
> This time, tap & repeat tapping DEL to force it to get into BIOS setup.
> See if it has an option for Fail Safe setting. If so, select that.
>
> And do make sure you have no diskette or CD in the respective drives.
>
> Now see if you can catch the point where you can tap F8 for Safe Mode.
> BTW, have you made any hardware changes, add-ons, removals, or re-cabling
> or been inside the pc case?
> (granted you were just in there to move RAM around)
> The point is to insure all cables are in the right places & secure. Make
> sure your HD cables & connectors are OK and snug. Check on all power
> connectors.
> For the time being, power off any printer or external device (beyond
> mouse, keyboard, and monitor).
>
> If no joy, get a DOS diskette and use it to boot from ---- just to see if
> that works.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>
> ---
> "Ritter197" wrote
>>I know it was in the past F8 and Del.
>>
>> I have used it before.
>> I took the RAM out and re-inserted it just to make sure (it is Crucial
>> RAM) and it now says after the Checking NVRAM "Update OK!"
>>
>> But there is where it stops.

June 4, 2005 12:42:12 AM

> I should have mentioned what I see:
>
> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
> Speed 2.8 GHZ
> Press Del to run Setup
> Press F8 for BBS Popup
> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
> Cecking NVRAM
>

> and that is where it hangs!
No wonder it hangs. That is a hardware problem. Isn't Non Volatile Ram on
the motherboard?
Jim

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No idea re RAM, but it worked for many months before fine.
"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I should have mentioned what I see:
>>
>> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
>> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
>> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
>> Speed 2.8 GHZ
>> Press Del to run Setup
>> Press F8 for BBS Popup
>> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
>> Cecking NVRAM
>>

>> and that is where it hangs!
> No wonder it hangs. That is a hardware problem. Isn't Non Volatile Ram
> on
> the motherboard?
> Jim

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:46:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

BAD KEYBOARD!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Well, I can NOT access the BIOS screen since it allows me NOT to get into
> anything via F8 or Delete.
>
> Tapping either one many times does nothing. The CMOS battery is probably
> less than 9 mos old though.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> Checking NVRAM is part of the CMOS/BIOS start up. If this failes, it
>> could be that the CMOS/BIOS setting are screwed up. Access the BIOS
>> screen and check to see if the hard drive is correctly listed. If it is
>> not listed, then the CMOS battery may be dead and you would need to
>> replace it. It is normally fairly easy to replace. Pop out the old coin
>> cell and replace it with a new one. Then, redo the BIOS set ups.
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
>>> All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
>>> computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
>>> DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>>>
>>> Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
>>> Boot order does not work.
>>>
>>> I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:48:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Time to take it to a professional trouble shooter, a guy who can physically
place his hands on your computer to test and diagnose the problem.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Let me start with the last. A floppy to boot into DOS does not work.
>
> I have tried probably 20+ timess to tap repeatedly into DEL or F8. Does
> not work.
>
> I have taken the cables of the drives and re-attached them.
>
> I also have taken out the battery for CMOS and checked it, it has the
> correct voltage. Now that I have re-inserted the battery, I come to the
> Pap800 (ASUS MB) screen and aagin it says to press delete, but I cannot
> get to the CDROM which holds the ASUS MB infomation.
>
> The KB connection in back of computer was also taken out and re-inserted,
> just to make sure. So far I am stumped totally.
>

> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Then the keys are the same. Power off pc. Wait perhaps a minute or so.
>> Power back up.
>> This time, tap & repeat tapping DEL to force it to get into BIOS setup.
>> See if it has an option for Fail Safe setting. If so, select that.
>>
>> And do make sure you have no diskette or CD in the respective drives.
>>
>> Now see if you can catch the point where you can tap F8 for Safe Mode.
>> BTW, have you made any hardware changes, add-ons, removals, or re-cabling
>> or been inside the pc case?
>> (granted you were just in there to move RAM around)
>> The point is to insure all cables are in the right places & secure. Make
>> sure your HD cables & connectors are OK and snug. Check on all power
>> connectors.
>> For the time being, power off any printer or external device (beyond
>> mouse, keyboard, and monitor).
>>
>> If no joy, get a DOS diskette and use it to boot from ---- just to see if
>> that works.
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>>
>> ---
>> "Ritter197" wrote
>>>I know it was in the past F8 and Del.
>>>
>>> I have used it before.
>>> I took the RAM out and re-inserted it just to make sure (it is Crucial
>>> RAM) and it now says after the Checking NVRAM "Update OK!"
>>>
>>> But there is where it stops.

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:56:07 AM

Read again. Not if he can't get into his computer - and he can't!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Vic Dura" <vpdura@CLUTTERhiwaay.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:11:47 -0500, in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general RE: Re: No Boot Windows XP, 2.8Ghz
> desktop "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>The thing about getting to bootup options... you want to catch it after
>>the
>>BIOS post, and before Windows begins to load.
>
> Is there anyway to get this to occure automatically without having to
> time the F8 hit? Something like setting BootMenu=1 in MSDOS.sys in
> Win98se?
>
> --
> To reply to me directly, remove the CLUTTER from my email address.
June 4, 2005 6:12:40 AM

> No idea re RAM, but it worked for many months before fine.
> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> I should have mentioned what I see:
> >>
> >> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
> >> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
> >> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
> >> Speed 2.8 GHZ
> >> Press Del to run Setup
> >> Press F8 for BBS Popup
> >> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
> >> Cecking NVRAM
> >>

> >> and that is where it hangs!
> > No wonder it hangs. That is a hardware problem. Isn't Non Volatile Ram
> > on
> > the motherboard?
> > Jim
It wasn't broken before, but it is now. Take to a shop which repairs PCs.
Jim
June 4, 2005 11:44:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Have you tried a new keyboard...?

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I should have mentioned what I see:
>
> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
> Speed 2.8 GHZ
> Press Del to run Setup
> Press F8 for BBS Popup
> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
> Cecking NVRAM
>

> and that is where it hangs!
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> > All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
> > computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
> > DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
> >
> > Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
> > Boot order does not work.
> >
> > I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:08:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

NO. I may have to try it, but I do not have one around.

I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at the
beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking NVRAM,
just stays there.

imbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried a new keyboard...?
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I should have mentioned what I see:
>>
>> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
>> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
>> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
>> Speed 2.8 GHZ
>> Press Del to run Setup
>> Press F8 for BBS Popup
>> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
>> Cecking NVRAM
>>

>> and that is where it hangs!
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
>> > All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
>> > computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
>> > DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
>> >
>> > Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8 or
>> > Boot order does not work.
>> >
>> > I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:30:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ritter,
This pc very obviously has hardware issues. I do see you addressed this to windowsxp.hardware (amongst others), and I was about to suggest that.
So, besides suggesting you take this to a good shop technician, what I'd suggest is the following:
If this has a USB keyboard, use an older PS2 keyboard instead. Use a basic mouse.
Physically remove (or disconnect) any external devices. Remove modem and network cards.
Basically get the attached hardware to only bare necessities: HD, keyboard, mouse, monitor.

Q: What are trying to get from the Asus MB CD? You can use another pc to view your MB specs on the Asus website.
Can you take your Asus CD to a working pc, look at its contents, look for user manuals, tech info ?

Q: What did you have on that DOS floppy?

Finally, if the issue turns out to be the BIOS-CMOS settings, there's a way to reset it on your systemboard. You just have to find the documentation on how to do it.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Ritter197 wrote:
> Let me start with the last. A floppy to boot into DOS does not work.
>
> I have tried probably 20+ timess to tap repeatedly into DEL or F8.
> Does not work.
>
> I have taken the cables of the drives and re-attached them.
>
> I also have taken out the battery for CMOS and checked it, it has the
> correct voltage. Now that I have re-inserted the battery, I come to
> the Pap800 (ASUS MB) screen and aagin it says to press delete, but I
> cannot get to the CDROM which holds the ASUS MB infomation.
>
> The KB connection in back of computer was also taken out and
> re-inserted, just to make sure. So far I am stumped totally.

June 4, 2005 10:37:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Press F8 for BBS Popup
That line is a bit unusual. It may be that your BIOS is corrupt.

Some of the boards have a backup of bios that can be used to recover if you
have the utility disk from the board mfr. Each is a little different, so you
would need to find out what is appropriate for your board. My son had this
happen with a now very old Abit board, and we finally had to get a new BIOS
chip from Abit. The cause was a really nasty virus.

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o _GdnZdeUNx_OjzfRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> NO. I may have to try it, but I do not have one around.
>
> I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
> batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
> I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at the
> beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking NVRAM,
> just stays there.
>

> imbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried a new keyboard...?
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I should have mentioned what I see:
>>>
>>> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
>>> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
>>> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
>>> Speed 2.8 GHZ
>>> Press Del to run Setup
>>> Press F8 for BBS Popup
>>> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
>>> Cecking NVRAM
>>>

>>> and that is where it hangs!
>>>

>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...

June 5, 2005 11:28:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I would also pull the cmos bat for a bit and try again.

"Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried a new keyboard...?
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I should have mentioned what I see:
> >
> > AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
> > ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
> > CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
> > Speed 2.8 GHZ
> > Press Del to run Setup
> > Press F8 for BBS Popup
> > DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
> > Cecking NVRAM
> >

> > and that is where it hangs!
> >

> > "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> > > All of a sudden cannot boot up the desktop, a 2.8 GHZ, 512 MB Intel
> > > computer,that before this morning always worked fine.
> > > DEL or F8 does not work either so I cannot get to Safe Mode.
> > >
> > > Inserting the Windows XP PRO disk does not get to it either since F8
or
> > > Boot order does not work.
> > >
> > > I worked still last night when I closed down after the market closed..
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:12:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have been trying a number of times to hit repeatedly also the F8 key. It
does not get me there. I stays presently at : "Checking NVRAM". Sometimes I
can get it to go to NVRAM updated and then stays there forever.

"Chuck" <nospm@msn.com> wrote in message
> Press F8 for BBS Popup
> That line is a bit unusual. It may be that your BIOS is corrupt.
>
> Some of the boards have a backup of bios that can be used to recover if
> you have the utility disk from the board mfr. Each is a little different,
> so you would need to find out what is appropriate for your board. My son
> had this happen with a now very old Abit board, and we finally had to get
> a new BIOS chip from Abit. The cause was a really nasty virus.
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o _GdnZdeUNx_OjzfRVn-pg@comcast.com...
>> NO. I may have to try it, but I do not have one around.
>>
>> I am using a Logitech wireless KB, have checked and inputted new
>> batteries though and set Connect on KB, Mouse and Receiver.
>> I am getting this am beyond the "Ai face or head" and am now stuck at the
>> beginning where it says Entering Setup but it is stuck at checking NVRAM,
>> just stays there.
>>

>> imbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you tried a new keyboard...?
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:17:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

OK, good advice. At this time I have no other KB though.

What I triede to get from the ASUS CD is do the installation of the P4P800
MB. (I have done this in the past 1 or 2 times and never had a problem, but
that was when I could get beyond the "hung" screen with "checking NVRAM"
that sometimes, very seldom goes to: "NVRAM checked and updated"

The DOS floppy in the past would get me to an A: prompt. Not much, but
sometimes that is what I needed. But this time the A drive is not being
recognized yet.

Ritter197 wrote:
> Let me start with the last. A floppy to boot into DOS does not work.
>
> I have tried probably 20+ timess to tap repeatedly into DEL or F8.
> Does not work.
>
> I have taken the cables of the drives and re-attached them.
>
> I also have taken out the battery for CMOS and checked it, it has the
> correct voltage. Now that I have re-inserted the battery, I come to
> the Pap800 (ASUS MB) screen and aagin it says to press delete, but I
> cannot get to the CDROM which holds the ASUS MB infomation.
>
> The KB connection in back of computer was also taken out and
> re-inserted, just to make sure. So far I am stumped totally.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:54:36 AM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:03:56 -0400, "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Press Del to run Setup

Did you try this? If not, do so, and go into setup and find boot
order and set your CD to boot first. Insert your Windows CD and exit
the bios.

When the CD boots go into repair mode.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
June 6, 2005 3:16:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You have a hardware issue. NVRAM is where the BIOS settings are stored.
Press Del to enter Setup. if that doesnt work you can try clearing CMOS
and try Del again, otherwise contact motherboard tech support.

Ritter197 wrote:

> No idea re RAM, but it worked for many months before fine.
> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I should have mentioned what I see:
>>>
>>>AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
>>>ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
>>>CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
>>>Speed 2.8 GHZ
>>> Press Del to run Setup
>>>Press F8 for BBS Popup
>>>DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
>>>Cecking NVRAM
>>>

>>>and that is where it hangs!
>>
>>No wonder it hangs. That is a hardware problem. Isn't Non Volatile Ram
>>on
>>the motherboard?
>>Jim

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:59:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

could not believe it. It was a USB ditribution box that caused me all that
trouble. But I found that out after I re-installed Windows XP, but without
formatting.

So, I am in business again, finally.

Thanks for all who came through with suggestions. The one that said, try
removing all and try the bare bones approach, did work.

> BAD KEYBOARD!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Well, I can NOT access the BIOS screen since it allows me NOT to get into
>> anything via F8 or Delete.
>>
>> Tapping either one many times does nothing. The CMOS battery is probably
>> less than 9 mos old though.
>>
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> Checking NVRAM is part of the CMOS/BIOS start up. If this failes, it
>>> could be that the CMOS/BIOS setting are screwed up. Access the BIOS
>>> screen and check to see if the hard drive is correctly listed. If it is
>>> not listed, then the CMOS battery may be dead and you would need to
>>> replace it. It is normally fairly easy to replace. Pop out the old
>>> coin cell and replace it with a new one. Then, redo the BIOS set ups.
>>>

>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:p K-dnUSk586iMD3fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:46:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

OK. Good news, finally !
btw, USB distribution box would fall under my suggestion to remove (dis-connect) *all* external devices.
I just wish you'd done that way earlier.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Ritter197 wrote:
> could not believe it. It was a USB ditribution box that caused me all
> that trouble. But I found that out after I re-installed Windows XP,
> but without formatting.
>
> So, I am in business again, finally.
>
> Thanks for all who came through with suggestions. The one that said,
> try removing all and try the bare bones approach, did work.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:36:51 PM

I had this same problem - due to a Belkin usb hub (F5U 237) plugged in.
Strange.

--
nebbinPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My computer is an Intel based 2.8GHZ built by a local shop, which I have
used for ten years.

I can get to the boot sequence, but not safe mode.

I looked at some free PW recovery tools and downloaded 1 and when it is
excuted it also saqys that there is no PW for Administrator, yet it keeps on
asking for one and does not allow me to continue.

I even did a Windows XP Pro Repair job and again it asks me for an
Admistrator PW.

I have installed for many peole Windows XP but never had this problem.

> Ritter197,
> Do see my other note.
>
> This info would likely be from your BIOS post startup. Is that true?
>
> The thing about getting to bootup options... you want to catch it after
> the BIOS post, and before Windows begins to load.
>
> What is make/model & how does your manufacturer sepecify the
> bootup-option key?
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> ---
>
> "Ritter197" wrote
>>I should have mentioned what I see:
>>
>> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
>> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
>> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
>> Speed 2.8 GHZ
>> Press Del to run Setup
>> Press F8 for BBS Popup
>> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
>> Cecking NVRAM
>>

>> and that is where it hangs!

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:06:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Have you tries Tabbing thru the password??
peterk

> My computer is an Intel based 2.8GHZ built by a local shop, which I have
> used for ten years.
>
> I can get to the boot sequence, but not safe mode.
>
> I looked at some free PW recovery tools and downloaded 1 and when it is
> excuted it also saqys that there is no PW for Administrator, yet it keeps
> on asking for one and does not allow me to continue.
>
> I even did a Windows XP Pro Repair job and again it asks me for an
> Admistrator PW.
>
> I have installed for many peole Windows XP but never had this problem.
>

> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Ritter197,
>> Do see my other note.
>>
>> This info would likely be from your BIOS post startup. Is that true?
>>
>> The thing about getting to bootup options... you want to catch it after
>> the BIOS post, and before Windows begins to load.
>>
>> What is make/model & how does your manufacturer sepecify the
>> bootup-option key?
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> ---
>>
>> "Ritter197" wrote
>>>I should have mentioned what I see:
>>>
>>> AMIBIOS 2003 American Megatrends Inc
>>> ASUS P4p800 ACPI BIOS Rev 1012
>>> CPU Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.800 GHZ
>>> Speed 2.8 GHZ
>>> Press Del to run Setup
>>> Press F8 for BBS Popup
>>> DDR Frequency 400 MHZ Dual Channel, Linear mode
>>> Cecking NVRAM
>>>

>>> and that is where it hangs!

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

NO, I did not try tabbing, but about everything else.
I finally re-installed Windows XP PRO from scratch, lost many settings and
many documewnts, because Repair I tried twice and it always kept again
asking for the Administrator's PW.

So, now I am installing most applications again, but I am running.

EVERYTHING I used said I had no PW in Administrator's action, but I could
not overwrite the request for PW. VERY frustating.

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> Have you tries Tabbing thru the password??
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> My computer is an Intel based 2.8GHZ built by a local shop, which I have
>> used for ten years.
>>
>> I can get to the boot sequence, but not safe mode.
>>
>> I looked at some free PW recovery tools and downloaded 1 and when it is
>> excuted it also saqys that there is no PW for Administrator, yet it keeps
>> on asking for one and does not allow me to continue.
>>
>> I even did a Windows XP Pro Repair job and again it asks me for an
>> Admistrator PW.
>>
>> I have installed for many peole Windows XP but never had this problem.
>>

>> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Ritter197,
>>> Do see my other note.
>>>
>>> This info would likely be from your BIOS post startup. Is that true?
>>>
>>> The thing about getting to bootup options... you want to catch it after
>>> the BIOS post, and before Windows begins to load.
>>>
>>> What is make/model & how does your manufacturer sepecify the
>>> bootup-option key?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Maurice N
>>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>>> ---
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" wrote

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:59:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It's late now....... Pressing the Enter-key should have worked.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote
> NO, I did not try tabbing, but about everything else.
> I finally re-installed Windows XP PRO from scratch, lost many settings and
> many documewnts, because Repair I tried twice and it always kept again
> asking for the Administrator's PW.
>
> So, now I am installing most applications again, but I am running.
>
> EVERYTHING I used said I had no PW in Administrator's action, but I could
> not overwrite the request for PW. VERY frustating.
>
> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>> Have you tries Tabbing thru the password??
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:39:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

NO,NO, NO - THAT I have tried many, many times. That did NOT work at all.
Sorry.
I wished it had been that simple.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 18ocSYsFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
It's late now....... Pressing the Enter-key should have worked.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote
> NO, I did not try tabbing, but about everything else.
> I finally re-installed Windows XP PRO from scratch, lost many settings and
> many documewnts, because Repair I tried twice and it always kept again
> asking for the Administrator's PW.
>
> So, now I am installing most applications again, but I am running.
>
> EVERYTHING I used said I had no PW in Administrator's action, but I could
> not overwrite the request for PW. VERY frustating.
>
> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>> Have you tries Tabbing thru the password??
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:54:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Tab did not work either ?

Whatever the case in the past, assuming you are the pc owner, login to Windows with "Administrator" as the login account.
Be sure you it has a password now. Write it down & save to a safe place. Do not use "Administrator" as your day-to-day login.

In Help and Support, look up (using search box) "Create a password reset disk", and "Protecting your passwords".

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote
> NO,NO, NO - THAT I have tried many, many times. That did NOT work at all.
> Sorry.
> I wished it had been that simple.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote in message
> news:o 18ocSYsFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> It's late now....... Pressing the Enter-key should have worked.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote
>> NO, I did not try tabbing, but about everything else.
>> I finally re-installed Windows XP PRO from scratch, lost many settings and
>> many documewnts, because Repair I tried twice and it always kept again
>> asking for the Administrator's PW.
>>
>> So, now I am installing most applications again, but I am running.
>>
>> EVERYTHING I used said I had no PW in Administrator's action, but I could
>> not overwrite the request for PW. VERY frustating.
>>
>> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>>> Have you tries Tabbing thru the password??
>>> peterk

September 4, 2005 8:54:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:

> NO, I did not try tabbing, but about everything else.
> I finally re-installed Windows XP PRO from scratch, lost many settings and
> many documewnts, because Repair I tried twice and it always kept again
> asking for the Administrator's PW.
>
> So, now I am installing most applications again, but I am running.
>
> EVERYTHING I used said I had no PW in Administrator's action, but I could
> not overwrite the request for PW. VERY frustating.

Next time make sure you have a full and complete backup. Then you won't
lose anything.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks, Maurice.

I am familiar with Administrator and since I am the only one using the
computer and no kids around, I always found it OK to use NO PW. All
downloaded tools said that there were no PW's for Administrator. SO -- there
was something wrong in Windows XP.

Right? It should have never frozen me at the same request for PW and Windows
XP Repair also did not work, that is, it worked fine , BUT it again came to
the Administrator login and asked for PW. So eventually I had to do a
complete new installation.

I have for many other programs ID's and PW's so I am familiar with them. But
what happened this time has NEVER happened to me before during many
installations of Windows XP and Pro.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o zz6eLZsFHA.3852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Tab did not work either ?

Whatever the case in the past, assuming you are the pc owner, login to
Windows with "Administrator" as the login account.
Be sure you it has a password now. Write it down & save to a safe place.
Do not use "Administrator" as your day-to-day login.

In Help and Support, look up (using search box) "Create a password reset
disk", and "Protecting your passwords".

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote
> NO,NO, NO - THAT I have tried many, many times. That did NOT work at all.
> Sorry.
> I wished it had been that simple.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote in message
> news:o 18ocSYsFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> It's late now....... Pressing the Enter-key should have worked.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote
>> NO, I did not try tabbing, but about everything else.
>> I finally re-installed Windows XP PRO from scratch, lost many settings
>> and
>> many documewnts, because Repair I tried twice and it always kept again
>> asking for the Administrator's PW.
>>
>> So, now I am installing most applications again, but I am running.
>>
>> EVERYTHING I used said I had no PW in Administrator's action, but I could
>> not overwrite the request for PW. VERY frustating.
>>
>> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>>> Have you tries Tabbing thru the password??
>>> peterk

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:11:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Was the original XP setup pre-installed at the factory or by an OEM? And then if a repair was attempted before, it may have added further to the password situation.

Suggest you keep layers of defense. Keep offline backups. And use disk imaging utilities (saving to CD/DVD).

Save copies of your registry.
There's a highly recommended free tool to backup your Win XP registry. Lars Hederer's ERUNT.
Aumha.org is an official mirror site for this tool. See this page at Aumha
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#erunt
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User