Dynex Silver Thermal Compound

shamrockfire

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I bought this stuff from best buy called Dynex Silver Thermal Compound. I've used Arctic Silver 5 before, but this stuff is like 6 bucks for 5 grams. I've read how some compounds claim to have 99% pure silver in them and turn out to not. Is this Dynex stuff any good?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Eh, paste is paste. Most brands of silver based grease are within a degree or two of each other, and I havent heard anything bad about the stuff you're talking about. Barring the possibility of you use way to much or way to little, the paste you use isnt going to have a massive effect on your temps, unless your talking about extreme differences, like Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (one of, if not the best paste on the market today) and the OEM stuff that sells for like $1 a quart.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Thats the stuff from Best Buy right? I don't think it would matter unless you're trying to squeeze every last degree of heat from your cpu. But then you'd know to go for the AS-5, MX-1, or Shin-Etsu if you were opting for extreme performance. It should work just fine though. apt403 is right though, you won't notice much difference. 3 or 4 degrees tops compared to the absolute best paste.