Buying Big for the first time.

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 25, 2005 12:40:45 PM

If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?

Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
Rear Projection Definition: Standard
Display Technology: CRT
Screen Size: 60 inches
Brand: Magnavox

How soon before it is totally obsolete? What does 60" mean anyway
-height, diagonal length, etc?

I'm not necessarily interested in the latest cutting edge technology, I
just want something, anything bigger than the 21 inch Flat Screen Sony
that I currently have in my living room.

If DVDs look good on it, I'll be reasonably happy.

The alternative for me is to shell $800 for a new 47" Daewood which is
widescreen and HDTV ready.

I don't mind getting the cheaper one, provided I'm not buying a piece
of junk.

I am 23 and this is for my apartment.

More about : buying big time

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:50:41 PM

majiin99@cs.com wrote:

> If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
> Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
>

> Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
> Rear Projection Definition: Standard
> Display Technology: CRT
> Screen Size: 60 inches
> Brand: Magnavox
>
> How soon before it is totally obsolete?

Ooops, to late!

> What does 60" mean anyway
> -height, diagonal length, etc?

Diagonal. It has an HDTV image size of a 57 16:9 display.

> I'm not necessarily interested in the latest cutting edge technology,

Not even close.

> just want something, anything bigger than the 21 inch Flat Screen Sony
> that I currently have in my living room.

It might do that.

> If DVDs look good on it, I'll be reasonably happy.

Happy is as happy does.

> The alternative for me is to shell $800 for a new 47" Daewood which is
> widescreen and HDTV ready.

That would have a better picture, but I don't know that Daewoo isn't junk.

> I don't mind getting the cheaper one, provided I'm not buying a piece
> of junk.

I think it's a piece of junk.

> I am 23 and this is for my apartment.

If you are in Central MA, I might be selling my Toshiba 16:9 RPTV (not
HD), but I'd probably want a bit more than $300.

Matthew
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:17:20 PM

<majiin99@cs.com> wrote in message
> If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
> Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
>

> Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
> Rear Projection Definition: Standard
> Display Technology: CRT
> Screen Size: 60 inches
> Brand: Magnavox
>
> How soon before it is totally obsolete? What does 60" mean anyway
> -height, diagonal length, etc?
>
> I'm not necessarily interested in the latest cutting edge technology, I
> just want something, anything bigger than the 21 inch Flat Screen Sony
> that I currently have in my living room.
>
> If DVDs look good on it, I'll be reasonably happy.
>
> The alternative for me is to shell $800 for a new 47" Daewood which is
> widescreen and HDTV ready.
>
> I don't mind getting the cheaper one, provided I'm not buying a piece
> of junk.
>
> I am 23 and this is for my apartment.

Pass on the dinosaur and get the Daewoo. It should cover you for quite a
while, and $800 ain't bad for what you would have.
January 25, 2005 8:50:57 PM

Not a daewoo fan, but I would would spring the $800 for the 47" HD Daewoo.
No way would I pay for a 60" "SD" tv. Tell the guy if he really wants to
get rid of it, you will take it for free but will not pay any money for it.
You know, it costs a lot of money to dump a CRT, you are doing him a favor!

--Dan

<majiin99@cs.com> wrote in message
> If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
> Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
>

> Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
> Rear Projection Definition: Standard
> Display Technology: CRT
> Screen Size: 60 inches
> Brand: Magnavox
>
> How soon before it is totally obsolete? What does 60" mean anyway
> -height, diagonal length, etc?
>
> I'm not necessarily interested in the latest cutting edge technology, I
> just want something, anything bigger than the 21 inch Flat Screen Sony
> that I currently have in my living room.
>
> If DVDs look good on it, I'll be reasonably happy.
>
> The alternative for me is to shell $800 for a new 47" Daewood which is
> widescreen and HDTV ready.
>
> I don't mind getting the cheaper one, provided I'm not buying a piece
> of junk.
>
> I am 23 and this is for my apartment.

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:40:24 PM

<majiin99@cs.com> wrote in message
> If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
> Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
>

> Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
> Rear Projection Definition: Standard
> Display Technology: CRT
> Screen Size: 60 inches
> Brand: Magnavox

I would leave it where it is.

My own feeling is that the scan lines and poor color on a conventional big
screen actually make it uglier than a small screen.
January 25, 2005 9:40:25 PM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> <majiin99@cs.com> wrote in message
> > If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
> > Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
> >

> > Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
> > Rear Projection Definition: Standard
> > Display Technology: CRT
> > Screen Size: 60 inches
> > Brand: Magnavox
>
> I would leave it where it is.
>
> My own feeling is that the scan lines and poor color on a conventional big
> screen actually make it uglier than a small screen.

Many manufacturers make nice looking standard definition big screens.

Magnavox just isn't one of them.

Paul
January 25, 2005 9:48:57 PM

majiin99@cs.com wrote:
> If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
> Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
>

> Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
> Rear Projection Definition: Standard
> Display Technology: CRT
> Screen Size: 60 inches
> Brand: Magnavox
>
> How soon before it is totally obsolete? What does 60" mean anyway
> -height, diagonal length, etc?
>
> I'm not necessarily interested in the latest cutting edge technology,
> just want something, anything bigger than the 21 inch Flat Screen
Sony
> that I currently have in my living room.
>
> If DVDs look good on it, I'll be reasonably happy.
>
> The alternative for me is to shell $800 for a new 47" Daewood which
is
> widescreen and HDTV ready.
>
> I don't mind getting the cheaper one, provided I'm not buying a piece
> of junk.
>
> I am 23 and this is for my apartment.

I believe the last 4:3 60" CRT RP model Mitsubishi released was the
VS60111. The VS6011 was HD Ready and retailed for around $1800 (still
can be had for around that if you can find one). However last time I
saw non-HD rear projection sets in a show room they were being cleared
out for around $800 new (this was circa 2001 for a 51" or 60" set I
can't recall the exact size). So I don't think $300 is such a good
deal. CRT RP sets drop drasticly in value (even the HD ones) when
resold. A $2000 set will likely only pull 1/3 of its new retail value
if resold slightly used (within 2-3 years). This is because the
technology is changing so much and because CRT Rear projection sets
just aren't a hot item anymore.

Based on that scale I would only offer $75-$100 for the set used in
excellent condition. That range is more realistic to what's it's
probably worth. Honestly, I wouldn't offer anything for it because I
wouldn't want to own a "big screen" TV uncapable of displaying High
Definition.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:23:27 PM

Ok. The dinosaur is disqualified. Now what does "HDTV ready" mean?
Can I watch HD-DVDs or NBA in HD?

Daewoo 47" TV DSJ-4710
January 26, 2005 3:30:24 AM

Daewoo is about as cheesy a low-end brand as there is...with the possible
exception of Emerson.

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not a daewoo fan, but I would would spring the $800 for the 47" HD Daewoo.
> No way would I pay for a 60" "SD" tv. Tell the guy if he really wants to
> get rid of it, you will take it for free but will not pay any money for
> it. You know, it costs a lot of money to dump a CRT, you are doing him a
> favor!
>
> --Dan
>
> <majiin99@cs.com> wrote in message
>> If one was presented with a chance to buy a used 60" rear projection
>> Big-Screen TV for under $500 ($300 actually) would you do it?
>>

>> Dimensions: 51"W x 63"H x 28"D
>> Rear Projection Definition: Standard
>> Display Technology: CRT
>> Screen Size: 60 inches
>> Brand: Magnavox
>>
>> How soon before it is totally obsolete? What does 60" mean anyway
>> -height, diagonal length, etc?
>>
>> I'm not necessarily interested in the latest cutting edge technology, I
>> just want something, anything bigger than the 21 inch Flat Screen Sony
>> that I currently have in my living room.
>>
>> If DVDs look good on it, I'll be reasonably happy.
>>
>> The alternative for me is to shell $800 for a new 47" Daewood which is
>> widescreen and HDTV ready.
>>
>> I don't mind getting the cheaper one, provided I'm not buying a piece
>> of junk.
>>
>> I am 23 and this is for my apartment.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:41:08 AM

HD Ready - No internal ATSC tuner, but you can watch HD if you connect an HD
source (cable box, satellite, OTA STB, etc.). No such thing as HD-DVD (at
least not available commercially yet). If you get an HD ready set, you will
have to hook up an external HD source, but at least your "monitor" will
display HD if so connected.

> Ok. The dinosaur is disqualified. Now what does "HDTV ready" mean?
> Can I watch HD-DVDs or NBA in HD?
>
> Daewoo 47" TV DSJ-4710

January 26, 2005 10:13:50 AM

majiin99@cs.com wrote:
> Ok. The dinosaur is disqualified. Now what does "HDTV ready" mean?
> Can I watch HD-DVDs or NBA in HD?
>
> Daewoo 47" TV DSJ-4710

If the set is "HD Ready" that means it doesn't have a digital (8VSB)
tuner built in. So you won't be able to hook up an antenna and pull HD
broadcast out of the air. Not to worry, you can buy an external HD
tuner ($200 from your local Walmart or Circuit City) -or- you can
upgrade your cable/satellite service to HD and recieve High Definition
that way.

Picture quality wise there is no difference in "HD Ready" and "HD
Integrated" sets, they are both as capable. The only difference is the
built in tuner. Most HD Ready sets sold today have NTSC tuners built in
so you can always hook up an antenna and pull Standard Definition
broadcast out of the air and upgrade to High Definition whenever you
want to.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:28:41 PM

"Phil Ross" <paross@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:o jEJd.15829$5R.13263@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> HD Ready - No internal ATSC tuner, but you can watch HD if you connect an
> HD source (cable box, satellite, OTA STB, etc.). No such thing as HD-DVD
> (at

And thats cool with me, I LIKE HD monitors. I like them better than HDTV
with built in tuners. Reason being there is less to go wrong with the TV,
and you arent married to any technology (which gen ATSC tuner, what revision
cable card slot......). The monitors generally have lots of inputs, which I
also like.

--Dan
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:32:21 PM

And CHEAPER too!

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message > And thats cool with me, I LIKE
HD monitors. I like them better than HDTV
> with built in tuners. Reason being there is less to go wrong with the TV,
> and you arent married to any technology (which gen ATSC tuner, what
> revision cable card slot......). The monitors generally have lots of
> inputs, which I also like.
>
> --Dan
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:32:55 AM

Guys, Amazon seems to have better TV Deals than Ebay. Why?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/li...

A Panasonic PT-50LC14 50" Widescreen HD-Ready Television for 500
dollars?

Also I saw a Sony (Wega) HDTV 42" for $400.

Huh????

What is your experience with Amazon before?
Both of those are new in the box, with warranty available. Hmm...
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:57:14 PM

New from Amazon, that Panasonic TV new is listed at $2459.94. That $500
price is from the top of their "new and used" list, an outside seller. I
would not even consider dealing with that guy. Probably just a come-on,
anyway. Or it fell off the back of a truck. Or worse -- a scam.

As far as buying from Amazon itself, I have had nothing but good experiences
buying products from Amazon over the years, including electronics.
Sometimes they have excellent prices and you can get free shipping and no
tax. If you need to return something, they make it very easy. Doubt I
would buy a big TV set mail-order, though. Some things, like big TV sets
and sofas don't really lend themselves to mailorder, IMO.

mack
austin

!