specs:
Core 2 Duo e6400 @2.4ghz
2gb ram ddr2
xfx 8800gts 320mb
320gb 7200rpm hard disk
motherboard asus p5ld
DVD RW dl
400w power supply

OK, this is the graphics forum, but Ill give it a whack. 2.4 on a C2D isnt high end. The GTS is high end, just not super uber. Your HDD is smallish and at 7200, so meh and finally yout psu barely makes it with all you have so far, thus elimating any upgrade paths. So all in all, Id say you have a lower highend rig, which is better than most but still along way from the top. I think youd be better served to upgrade your psu for better ocing, maybe get more out of your cpu,maybe a lil and of course your GTS as well.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
I would call it upto date rather than super high end.

Better than many PC's out there, a nice gaming machine, but not up there with the many rigs out there with 8800 GTX's or SLI'd 8800 GTX's and quad cores.

I personally feel the single GTX is now a pretty common card after 7 months on sale, many people with high resolution displays are looking to get their second GTX in place.

Thats not to take anything away from what is a very respectable gaming rig that will play superbly well at the resolutions average displays can manage.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
i was wondering what my pc would be classed at

specs:
Core 2 Duo e6400 @2.4ghz
2gb ram ddr2
xfx 8800gts 320mb
320gb 7200rpm hard disk
motherboard asus p5ld
DVD RW dl
400w power supply
I wouldn't call a 400W powersupply high end.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

specs:
Core 2 Duo e6400 @2.4ghz
2gb ram ddr2
xfx 8800gts 320mb
320gb 7200rpm hard disk
motherboard asus p5ld
DVD RW dl
400w power supply

details on the psu please :D ......a generic psu cannot hold that gpu...restarts and hangs will occur

DuncanMcCloud

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Try oc ur cpu to 2.6... i find thats the ideal temp i want mine to sit at.

Ive managed to oc my e6400 with my zalman air cooling to 3.2, i didnt bother to test stability since it becomes unstable just after 2.8....i dont want to turn up the voltage to increase stability.

The psu is a killer... def gonna hold back any future upgrades regarding gfx and cpu.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Mid range. :roll:
High end would have---
e6700 or better
8800gts 640Mb sli or 8800gtx/ultra or Radeon hd2900xt crossfire
800watt+ PSU
Raptor raid 0 or any raid 0 and 500gb+ storage
4gb DDR800 cl4 or better

BTW I would upgrade the PSU ASAP! 8O

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

specs:
Core 2 Duo e6400 @2.4ghz
2gb ram ddr2
xfx 8800gts 320mb
320gb 7200rpm hard disk
motherboard asus p5ld
DVD RW dl
400w power supply

I would say it was mid range but with OC potential that would place it close to high end as is.

pauldh

Illustrious
In a way, you are asking the wrong people. I say yes, an 8800GTS 320MB/e6400/2GB is high end(ignoring the PSU). But it's far from cutting edge or ultimate performance. So while it may be better than 99 out of 100 systems that people game on today, around here people will not call it high end. ANyway, to me high end means above mainsteam but below top of the line/cutting edge/ultimate/dream/ etc. Take this ? to a game forum like Need for Speed Carbon, etc. and people would be more apt to drool over those specs.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
High end would be having a rig with flagship or components that are close. I will mention the components I think are not top tier. Yes I'm going to be picky but it's my personal opinion.

The E6400, albeit a great processor, is not top tier in the intel lineup. A quad core or a 6700 would fit that bill for me.

A 400 GB hard drive by itself is not top tier. Get a 750GB hard drive or 1TB hard drive and you might have it. Two 400GB hard drives on one machine I would consider top tier.

As others have said 4GB of RAM would be high end, not 2GB.

Only one optical drive in my book is not top tier. This is for a couple of reasons. First they are so inexpensive there really isn't an excuse. Second some discs unreadable on one type of drive may be readable on another one.

And one glaring omission is the Sound Card. You can argue all day that onboard sound is the same and you can't tell the difference..yada yada. But it really isn't true. IMO you aren't getting the most out of your system without a sound card.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
High end would have---
e6700 or better
800watt+ PSU
4gb DDR800 cl4 or better

I disagree, my system is high-end and doesn't have that (see sig). First you have to define high-end, to me high-end is greater than the majority. There are different levels of high-end what you people are saying is unless it's the fastest available it's not high-end. I would put it at high mid-level lower high-end. But what really matters is if you like it not telling your friends you have a high-end PC

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
It is not a bleeding edge system.

That said, it is years ahead of the average system being used the majority of the Google users in the last 30 seconds.

Rated on a scale of 1-100, I will give ya a 88. Any improvements you make will be increasingly expensive and result in only marginal improvements.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I agree. A true enthusiast knows where the point of diminishing returns lies, which is at which point spending more money doesn't get you noticeably better performance.

You're cornering the price vs. performance ratio. Looks like you spent a moderate amount of money on parts that perform awesomely without breaking the bank.

Only suggestion I would make is to change the PSU. What brand is it, and what are the specs? Amperage especially.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
High end would have---
e6700 or better
800watt+ PSU
4gb DDR800 cl4 or better

I disagree, my system is high-end and doesn't have that (see sig). First you have to define high-end, to me high-end is greater than the majority. There are different levels of high-end what you people are saying is unless it's the fastest available it's not high-end. I would put it at high mid-level lower high-end. But what really matters is if you like it not telling your friends you have a high-end PC

Overclocking a "budget" CPU does not make a "high end" PC, The 8800gts 320mb video card while nice is a mid range GPU no matter how you look at it.
A high end PC is one that takes full advantage of "bleeding edge" tech.
My e4300 has a nice OC, a 8800gtx, 4 gig of ddr2 800, 2x74gig raptor raid 0.........IT IS NOT A HIGH END PC! A high performance PC it is, there is a big difference.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
The 8800gts 320mb video card while nice is a mid range GPU no matter how you look at it.

Excuse me but how can you possibly say the 320 is mid-range when there are only two faster cards on the planet. I think your idea of the market is completely wrong. So I suppose that unless you have a PC P&C 1000 you have a mid-range system. Mid-range is what the average consumer waking into Best Buy will pay for. The systems on this board and others like it are no indication of the average and anything signifigantly above average is high-end, period. Granted my CPU is the second cheapest C2D but a quick look at Newegg shows 18 CPU's below mine at stock performance and 8 above mine and that's only Intel CPU's. After you add in the AMD's the gap widens. Your idea of if it isn't the top it's the middle is a little messed up. To be more percise there are three catagories, low, mid, high. That breaks it up into thirds so by your statement greater than a third of the population has a 8800GTS 320 or better. If you had a clue you would see how ridiculous you sound.

pauldh

Illustrious
I understand where you are coming from, but don't really agree with ya. I see all the GF8800's as high end and the 8600's, 7900GS, X1950 pro as more midrange. I guess to you the top 10% is high end. To me it's more the top 30% if there are only 3 classes (high end/midrange/value). But then again, as I said, I see there being more than 3 classes really and high end doesn't have to mean cutting edge, extreme, ultimate, dream, exotic, over-priced, etc.

It's an intersting question and understandable answers will vary. But I personally see his system squeaking into the lower part of high end instead of the upper part of midrange. I refuse to think that you can't find good bang for the buck and still be high end. High end should not have to mean money is no object - e6700 or above and 8800GTX or SLI 8800's. When I am asked about a high end gaming PC now, I think of a single 640MB GTS or 8800GTX paired with an e6600 and 2GB as the sweet spot without going extreme/ overpriced. He is not far enough below that to get booted to midrange in my eyes, but I do agree with the guy who said a high end PC should have a sound card like an X-fi in it.

pauldh

Illustrious
I didn't see your post when I wrote mine, but you are thinking along the same line as me. Even if we specifically talk gaming PC's and not just PC's, I still see him squeaking into high end gaming PC territory.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
The 8800gts 320mb video card while nice is a mid range GPU no matter how you look at it.

Excuse me but how can you possibly say the 320 is mid-range when there are only two faster cards on the planet. I think your idea of the market is completely wrong. So I suppose that unless you have a PC P&C 1000 you have a mid-range system. Mid-range is what the average consumer waking into Best Buy will pay for. The systems on this board and others like it are no indication of the average and anything signifigantly above average is high-end, period. Granted my CPU is the second cheapest C2D but a quick look at Newegg shows 18 CPU's below mine at stock performance and 8 above mine and that's only Intel CPU's. After you add in the AMD's the gap widens. Your idea of if it isn't the top it's the middle is a little messed up.

A single 320mb 8800gts has 3 or 4 better cards above it the 640mb 8800gts, the 8800gtx, and the 8800gtx ultra. Possibly the HD2900xt. :wink:
Sorry to burst your bubble, with crossfire and sli available a single video card is mid range unless you have the best. :cry:
I could give a crap less about the PSU as long as it has enough power to stably run the system it doesn’t matter. (i.e.: a more expensive PSU does not add to performance) 8O
The junk at Best Buy is not mid range it is low end. No matter what the sales staff tells you.
As for the CPU..."high end" CPUs are the top dogs QX6700, E6700, X6800.
To have a high end PC you must have the "best" of everything. Cost vs. performance be dammed.
A high performance PC and a high end PC are not the same thing.

I would say your system is an upper mid-range rig.

The only thing remarkable about your rig is the 8800GTS which is the 3rd fastest card in nVidia's lineup.

The E6400 is considered average Hell, I even consider the E6600 in my rig average.

The biggest weakness in your system is probably your PSU. Without any further info about exactly which make and model it is people would assume it is generic. That would not be good for the 8800GTS especially if you are overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Even if we specifically talk gaming PC's and not just PC's, I still see him squeaking into high end gaming PC territory.

That's exactly my point. If your only taking into consideration the PC's others are using on this board (or want but can't afford) then it's a pretty upper mid-range system. If your looking at the whole PC market it is certainly better than average and most likely in the top third which would mean high-end. It really seems as if what's his name is in the minority.
"Don't waste your breath and I won't waste my hate on you"
Take your own advice

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Even if we specifically talk gaming PC's and not just PC's, I still see him squeaking into high end gaming PC territory.

That's exactly my point. If your only taking into consideration the PC's others are using on this board (or want but can't afford) then it's a pretty upper mid-range system. If your looking at the whole PC market it is certainly better than average and most likely in the top third which would mean high-end. It really seems as if what's his name is in the minority.
"Don't waste your breath and I won't waste my hate on you"
Take your own advice

As a gaming PC it is defiantly mid range. You all need to game more! :lol:
High end is not the top 33% more like the top 2%. 8O
You and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject. 8)

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Why would you buy a DX10 card right now unless you game? Why waste the money to "surf the net" or play solitare? Cheaper DX9 cards handle everything out there right now.
Most people do not care what their PC is classified at; as long as it turns on they are happy.
To ask "would this be classed as a high end pc?" to me means the OP wants his "e-penis" to be bigger than someone else's. Gamers have "e-penis" syndrome more than any other PC users out there.
I have an Athlon XP 2400+ that blows away a 33mhz 486, does that make it 'high end"?