Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No signal to monitor with ASUS 8800GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 7, 2007 9:48:22 AM

I have just purchased the following components:

Graphics: Asus GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-E
Motherboard: Asus P5B Delux
PSU: 600W ATX SurgeControl Power Supply
Memory: 1GB PC6400 Elixir DDR2 800 SDRAM

When turning on the system everything sound like it is booting up without any problems. All fans are running, harddisk makes noises and no warning beeps from motherboard.

However there doesn't appear to be anything going to the monitor from the graphics card. The monitor just stays on standby. :evil: 

Does anyone have ideas for why this is happening or experience with a similar issue?

Thanks! :D 
June 7, 2007 12:09:06 PM

Have you plugged additional power lead to card? That is a VERY cheap PSU for that spec of system. It may not supply enough power for the grahics card.

Mike
Related resources
June 7, 2007 1:28:03 PM

check the amps the psu can give on the 12v and that the pcie power lead is plugged in
June 7, 2007 2:26:18 PM

if you have another card to try in the system, that would help to narrow down possibilities.
June 7, 2007 2:27:32 PM

Here's the link to the particular PSU. Unfortunately I don't have anything to test this with but since everything is spinning up okay I imagine the powersupply is working as expected

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplie...

The graphics card has a 6 pin power connector slot that uses an adaptor with two 4-pin standard power connectors. See this pic for the adapter that I'm using that came with the card:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=f73d35c093a6e635e4...

I have got power through both connectors of the 2x4-pin->6pin power adapter.
June 7, 2007 2:48:44 PM

This information only makes the power supply seem more suspect. First the max pure amps I see is 10, there is a VAC, but I'm not sure how they are calculating that, and none of the specks seem to be refereeing to the 12v rails, just input (I could be reading that wrong). And then there is the two 4 pin to 6 pin adapter, which I have not heard the best from any of those adapters.
June 7, 2007 2:56:59 PM

Quote:
check the amps the psu can give on the 12v and that the pcie power lead is plugged in


How many amps does an 8800GTS draw?
June 7, 2007 3:05:36 PM

Looks like the 8800GTS draws 26 amps. Well Nvidia recomends a 400W PSU with 26 amps.

Dunno if that means 26 amps altogether or just on each +12V rail.
June 7, 2007 3:10:10 PM

Quote:
Looks like the 8800GTS draws 26 amps. Well Nvidia recomends a 400W PSU with 26 amps.

Dunno if that means 26 amps altogether or just on each +12V rail.


I think they mean combined as my PSU provides 14A on one and 15A on the other.

However it still doesn't work and I suspect it's because I need a bit more than that. The equivalent Akasa 500W PSU provides 18A on each rail

my buddy has a similar working pc and tonight I'll try my gfx card in there and report back
June 7, 2007 3:24:44 PM

Quote:
Looks like the 8800GTS draws 26 amps. Well Nvidia recomends a 400W PSU with 26 amps.

Dunno if that means 26 amps altogether or just on each +12V rail.


For each card.
June 7, 2007 3:27:36 PM

I just got a brand new computer, GTX 700psu, all the workings. and I had the same problem.

My monitor is a Sceptre Nagi III or something, and NCIX told me its probably because the GTX uses DVI I or something and I need to use DVI-D or something i can't rmemeber. So I used the other cord that came with my monitor and it works [after updating video card drivers also] Also, if my computer goes into hibernate or whatever it goes into when im not around the computer for a long period of time, the monitor wont go back on i dunno why, but i have to restart. Also the monitor doesn't start until Windows Vista is logging in, i cant see the beginning part where it loads all the stuff [like going into Safe mode]
June 8, 2007 1:23:18 PM

Right, still having problems and here's what I have tried so far:

1) Slower ram
2) Different monitor
3) Changed graphics card to crappy standard PCI one
4) 4 pin to 8 pin adapter (the ASUS mobo has an 8 pin connector that can also take the standard 4 pin square connector.

I've yet to find somewhere that I can test a higher spec PSU. I'm thinking that this is the problem and due to the demands of a dual core + 8800 GTS will need to get one with the 8 pin power connector to the mobo.

Continuum wrote:
Quote:
I think they mean combined as my PSU provides 14A on one and 15A on the other.

However it still doesn't work and I suspect it's because I need a bit more than that. The equivalent Akasa 500W PSU provides 18A on each rail

my buddy has a similar working pc and tonight I'll try my gfx card in there and report back


Did this work Continuum?
June 8, 2007 1:27:32 PM

Quote:
Did this work Continuum?


Yep. We first tried my gfx card in his PC, and it was OK.
Next we put my PC *carefully* back together, making sure all the cards were properly seated and it worked.
One thing we did notice is that I hadn't removed the blank plate from the slot beneath the gfx card where it's air intake is...dunno if this was causing the problem.
Most likely it was the gfx card not being properly fitted.

I felt quite stupid - but it's just one of those things I guess.

Good luck with yours mate
June 8, 2007 3:06:29 PM

Quote:

One thing we did notice is that I hadn't removed the blank plate from the slot beneath the gfx card where it's air intake is...dunno if this was causing the problem.


well it would cause the heat around your GPU to build up, and that could cause the card to throttle back or just turn off to save itself. When I was looking up the card I have in my sig, the number one cause of problems with it was not removing that plate below it to let it remove the hot air.
June 8, 2007 3:07:43 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll try this when I get home tonight.

Update on the PSU. I have phoned up 10 different companies to see if they stock any with an 8 pin power connector and 700W. I've yet to find any place with one in stock!

I can't believe that my set up is so unusual that that specification of PSU can't be found anywhere in a specialist computer hardware store.

I'll try rebuilding everything and making sure there're no bits of plastic covering anything.
June 8, 2007 3:10:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I'll try this when I get home tonight.

Update on the PSU. I have phoned up 10 different companies to see if they stock any with an 8 pin power connector and 700W. I've yet to find any place with one in stock!

I can't believe that my set up is so unusual that that specification of PSU can't be found anywhere in a specialist computer hardware store.

I'll try rebuilding everything and making sure there're no bits of plastic covering anything.


Your setup is about the same as mine - my PSU is a 400W akasa and it seems ok. Looks like my probs weren't psu related.
June 8, 2007 4:41:52 PM

buho and continuum-
You have some very nice gear there and like a lot of folks have tried to save a few bucks by getting a cheap PSU. I'll I can do is warn you to dig a little deeper in your pockets and please get a good PSU.

Nothing good can come with using underpowered and/or poor quality PSUs. Expect weird and seemingly unrelated general stability problems like system freezes, BSODs, corupted data and sudden shutdowns. These problems will worsen as the overtasked and/or crappy PSU rapidly deteriorates.

After a period of continued deterioration, one of two things will happen:
1. The system will fail to turn on and you'll be back here looking for help.
2. The PSU fails catastrophically, complete with smoke and maybe a little fire and takes your expensive components with it.

Word to the wise gents, upgrade the PSUs you are using and don't skimp.
June 8, 2007 4:42:20 PM

that's strange, it sounds like a power issue. I had this kind of problem when upgrading a prebuilt system with a low power supply. The mobo and graphics card could also be a fault with a short that goes away when the computer starts to warm up. Or the mobo could be a fault by not recognizing or powering the gpu at first start. my thoughts anyways.
June 8, 2007 5:13:32 PM

I had a similar problem with my eVGA 8800GTS. I had to 1st plug in computer with the standard VGA cord to monitor. DVI did not work for me until I had the nVidia driver installed. Also, I made sure to disable my integrated graphics in BIOS and choose PCI-E.

Hope this helps.
June 11, 2007 1:09:38 PM

Here's the latest update after a weekend of hassle and stress (and a 3 hour drive to Leeds, then Manchester then back to Sheffield!)

Tried 2 top-end PSUs with 24 pin and a 8 pin (instead of the usual 4 pin) connector to the mobo. Neither solved it or changed the issue. Had to drive to Leeds to find a shop that had one of these in stock. :?

Tried another new stick of ram. Also didn't work. :( 

Tried another graphics card. No luck. :x

Tried another E6600 CPU. Pah! ...nothing. :evil: 

I have taken my system, fully built, back to where I bought the components (in Manchester) and told them I can't diagnose the problem so didn't know which bit to send back to them. They are currently trying to diagnose the problem (and are as baffled as I am).

I'll post back here with the results when they find out the problem (hopefully tomorrow!)
June 11, 2007 1:18:36 PM

Quote:
Here's the latest update after a weekend of hassle and stress (and a 3 hour drive to Leeds, then Manchester then back to Sheffield!)

Tried 2 top-end PSUs with 24 pin and a 8 pin (instead of the usual 4 pin) connector to the mobo. Neither solved it or changed the issue. Had to drive to Leeds to find a shop that had one of these in stock. :?

Tried another new stick of ram. Also didn't work. :( 

Tried another graphics card. No luck. :x

Tried another E6600 CPU. Pah! ...nothing. :evil: 

I have taken my system, fully built, back to where I bought the components (in Manchester) and told them I can't diagnose the problem so didn't know which bit to send back to them. They are currently trying to diagnose the problem (and are as baffled as I am).

I'll post back here with the results when they find out the problem (hopefully tomorrow!)


Sorry to hear that mate, it sounds well shit. If they can't sort the problem out then i should think a full refund would be in order...
June 12, 2007 10:57:09 AM

This is embarrassing but I'll share this anyway in case anyone else comes across this probem.

As it turns out, the issue was that one of the brass tacks holding the motherboard to the case was shorting out part of the circuitry. Nothing is damaged, it was just stopping the mobo from getting a clean signal path. So check for any bits of metal that are touching circuitry where they shouldn't be.

Well you live and learn (and spend lots of money doing it :x )
June 12, 2007 10:58:31 AM

Quote:
This is embarrassing but I'll share this anyway in case anyone else comes across this probem.

As it turns out, the issue was that one of the brass tacks holding the motherboard to the case was shorting out part of the circuitry. Nothing is damaged, it was just stopping the mobo from getting a clean signal path. So check for any bits of metal that are touching circuitry where they shouldn't be.

Well you live and learn (and spend lots of money doing it :x )


Good job. The simplest problems are the best!
!