Thermalright’s insane “Heat Sink Case”

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
A lot of people are already complaining since the pipes are connected to the panel you take off to get inside your system. Seems a lil impractical unless get a perfect build on the 1st try.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
It's obvious only that people in Asia would make something like that. They get the first everything.

They have crazy stuff over there, we all know that. But, its a nice find nonetheless.

sailer

Splendid
A lot of people are already complaining since the pipes are connected to the panel you take off to get inside your system. Seems a lil impractical unless get a perfect build on the 1st try.

Perfect build is an understatement. How do you get a good seal with the thermal paste? For that mattter, what if the motherboard places the cpu in a different place? I mean, even a millimeter or two of difference can mean the case's heatsink won't line up with the cpu properly. Looks more like a stunt to me then anything else.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I'm sure the placement is adjustable. I'm more worried about how you're going make sure you get proper surface contact with the IHS. I just built my brother a computer with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, and that came with some pretty badass spring-loaded screws to hold it down. This thing CAN'T come with screws since there's no way TO screw it once the side panel closes. What if it just barely touches your CPU? Heck, how can you tell if its touching your CPU without waiting for your CPU to burn?

Heatpipes could interfere with video card placement too. And what happens if someone pops off the side of the case with the computer on? Bye-bye, $1000 quad-core.

sailer

Splendid
Theses are all good questions. I wasn't sure if the heatsink placement was adjustable, because the heatpipes and all looked pretty solid with the side panel. But yeah, the test for good contact with the cpu is whether or not the cpu burns up. That doesn't sound encouraging at all to me.

I think I'll stick with more standardized cases.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The only future I see for a case like this is in the hands of companies like Falcon-NW, who can standardize the placement so that every CPU has guaranteed contact with the heatsink... it's just going to be way to hard for a normal enthusiast to get it right.