Question on bios settings C1E and EIST

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
In the process of overclocking my first build and have a question on bios settings. In reading the overclock guide and multiple threads, there seems to be a consistent recommendation to disable EIST and the C1E in bios. I have done this and reached 3.0GHz with an E6600 without any problem. However, I like the idea of the system running at a lower multiple (and lower temp) when idling. I ran ORTHOS for 8 hours with EIST and C1E enabled, and again disabled - both appear to be stable.

The only difference I could detect with Speedfan and TAT were the lower idle temperatures resulting from the lower multiple and Vcore.

Is there a reason I should keep both of these settings disabled. Not sure of the potential effects - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

System info;
m/b: MSN P6N SLi Platinum
cpu: E6600
cpu fan: Zalman CNPS9500
memory: mushkin 2x1G, EM2-6400
graphics card: MSI NX8600-GTS
ps: Zalman ZM-600HP

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Depends...
I would try, but in most cases you'll have random Errors/BSOD/reboots...
Furthermore, looks like on ASUS boards, C1E won't activate above some vcore

Try and see if it works for you, but in most cases, as C1E and ESIT initiate, an error occurs, once in a while

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I have an e6600 @ 3.2 on 1.325 vcore. C1E is enabled and I am Orthos stable at 8+hours. I have measured a 10-11 watt savings at regular desktop use and idle. Finally having C1E enabled has reduced my idle temps by about 4-5c.

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I am also seeing a 4-6c reduction at idle and about a 3c reduction a load having both EIST and C1E enabled.

Do you have EIST enabled as well? Do you experience any periodic errors or BSOD as referenced by the reply from jonny_ftm?

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I would need to update to a newer BIOS to enable EIST under Vista. I'm still on 0804. Currently my voltage does not change, only my multiplier drops from 9 to 6. I am stable now and I am seeing power savings so I'm not eager to mess with it. I'm not sure but I think it is a combination of EIST and windows power options that would cause the voltage to drop also. I can see where this could be a problem when overclocking.
I'm not someone who updates to every new BIOS. If I have a specific problem and a new BIOs will fix it I'll update but until then it's the "if it isn't broke...." tactic.

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I am overclocked but not extreme, only to 3.0GHz (no voltage increases). I think I will keep these settings enabled for a little while and see how things go. Many thanks for the replies!!

the recommendation to turn those off is for 2 reasons(there are more....but well these are the important ones IMO).

1. Some Asus boards do not allow voltage adjustments with those settings on. If you do not need voltage you can leave it on with no side effects

2. Some people will experience random crashes and bsod's. This is a result of the cpu voltage being lowered @ idle. In some cases the cpu will not run @ idle speeds(2ghz and not the stock 1.6 in ure case)on the lowered voltage. this will cause it to error and crash the system. Testing(@ idle.....so get out winamp and start posting in the forumz) is the only way to check this one this one.

I had them on with no problems, but since I fold there was not going to be a savings for me so i just turned them off.

Hope this clears it up some

EDIT
Just a side note. I wish boards where more like my K8 board. they gave voltage offsets (+0.025, +0.050, +0.075, +0.100, ect). this would increase both the load and idle voltage making this problem go away