No Laptop wireless internet

rpheckenkamp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
My girlfriend has never been able to connect to wireless with her notebook computer. It can connect fine with ethernet, but wireless isn't working. She had some Toshiba Quickconnect thing on there I got rid of because it was making it very difficult to even connect to ethernet.

Wireless router is D-Link WBR-2310. I'm using WEP with shared key authentication. 3 other computers have been connected through wireless for 2 years.

The labtop is using XP SP2 with an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connector with the up to date drivers.
I have identical network settings for the problem computer and another working computer. The SSID, WEp key, everything is exactly the same between the working and non working computers.

The SSID is broadcasted, so I connect to it in Window's Wireless Network Connection window and type in the correct WEP key. It says it connects. I mouse over the wireless icon in the task bar and it says connected at 54kbs with 5/5 bars of signal strength. Great! However I open up a browser and am unable to connect to any website.

A possible cause: in the command prompt, the ipconfig command lists the host's IP address as 192.168.0.1. However, this is the default gateway for the rest of the computers in my house. It's the IP for my router.

rpheckenkamp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Problem solved. I love it when you work for 3 hours trying to fix something, post a help request on these forums and solve the problem when you're waiting for a reply.

To solve, I uninstalled the drivers for the card and rebooted. It reinstalled on bootup and fixed the problem. Crap crap crap crap