Running WIn 3.1 Application on Win XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How do I run a Win 3.1 application in Windows XP. I have tried using Win 95
compatability mode, but keeps giving a "application INI file is
incompatible" error.
checked the ini files and it has [LOAD] followed by various path entries to
the applications data. Tried copying the INI file to the application and
System32 directory but still the same error
3 answers Last reply
More about running application
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Note that not all older applications can be successfully run under Windows
    XP. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and upgrade your application
    or purchase a newer comparable application.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Sam Rabbit" <no-spam2112@popnet.com> wrote in message

    > How do I run a Win 3.1 application in Windows XP. I have tried using Win
    > 95
    > compatability mode, but keeps giving a "application INI file is
    > incompatible" error.
    > checked the ini files and it has [LOAD] followed by various path entries
    > the applications data. Tried copying the INI file to the application and
    > System32 directory but still the same error

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Sam Rabbit" <no-spam2112@popnet.com> wrote:

    >How do I run a Win 3.1 application in Windows XP. I have tried using Win 95
    >compatability mode, but keeps giving a "application INI file is
    >incompatible" error.

    See "How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314495). If this does not ehlp,
    you may have to install an older Windows version to run the software
    or check for an updated version of the program.
    "How to Multiple Boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows
    95, Windows 98, and MS-DOS"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217210)

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    bottom-posted
    > Note that not all older applications can be successfully run under Windows
    > XP. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and upgrade your
    > application or purchase a newer comparable application.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "Sam Rabbit" <no-spam2112@popnet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How do I run a Win 3.1 application in Windows XP. I have tried using Win
    >> 95
    >> compatability mode, but keeps giving a "application INI file is
    >> incompatible" error.
    >> checked the ini files and it has [LOAD] followed by various path entries
    >> the applications data. Tried copying the INI file to the application and
    >> System32 directory but still the same error

    I keep an old DOS desktop around just to run legacy DOS games, and a Win98se
    machine for a few later games that won't run on XP. May seem extreme, but
    they are old machines and easy to keep and maintain. (If I were smarter I
    might have just one machine with dual boot)

Microsoft Windows XP