Strange power up problem

preddy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004
Ok, here was the original setup.

MOBO : M2N-E
Video : ATI 1900XT PCI-E
RAM : 2gigs DDR2 Kingston

PC will NOT power up when the network cable is plugged in, so I assumed I had a short. So I change the Mobo and the Video card since it was causing me problems (artifacts, driver resets)

New Mobo : M2N-SLI-DX
new Video card : ASUS EN8600GT

I have the SAME power up problem. Tonight I'm going to try a different switch and network cable, but this is VERY strange.

Any tips?

preddy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004
Video card does not need any external power (no connector on it). I'm using the PS that came with the case, Antec 450 watt, it's not SLI certified, but my other mobo was not SLI plus I am only using 1 Video card.

Can it be a PS issue?

preddy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004
Well I noticed that when I plug the net cable in, the board loses power (green light on mobo goes off). However if I plug the cable into a DIFFERENT switch, it stays on, might be my switch that fried something since now even without the cable plugged in, I have lots of problems getting the PC to turn on. I have to unplug and replug things, I have not found out what makes it turn back on. The green light on the mobo is on, but pushing the power button only works once every 30 tries it seems.

So now I am debating... get a new PS, or just get a new case with PS to be sure. Hoping the mobo is not damaged.

preddy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004
Ok, just a follow up on my problems. I bought a new PS, installed it and everything is fine! Everything works A-OK, even putting the system in sleep mode (where before it would just shut down).

Thanks for the advice guys.

hunter_green32

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I wouldnt call antec a cheap PSU. Perhaps not a super-premuim brand, but definately not crap.

Ive owned several, you could just about dip the cooling fans in honey and they would still run.

All manufacturing processes, from the cheapest to the best, have a failure rate. You cannot really judge any of them based on a single, isolated incident.