Sign in with
Your question

Abit KN9 reboots non-stop trying to load Win XP

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2007 4:29:47 PM

I just assembled a new PC and installed Win XP Pro SP2. However, the system just continuously reboots as it tries to load the OS from the hard disk from the very first attempt. Here are my specs:

Abit KN9 Mobo BIOS 1.1 (2006/09/22)
ASUS EN7300GT Video PCI Express
G.Skill DDR2 PC2-6500 1GB x 2
AMD Athlon 64X2 6000 3.0GHz
AMD-supplied aluminum HSF
Antec SmartPower 400w
Sony-NEC CD/DVD/RW
3.5" Floppy
120 mm Case Fan
PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse
Maxtor 160GB SATA2 HD x 2, RAID 1

A split-second BSD is displayed but it's not there long enough to be read. There's no other hardware in the machine yet so I doubt that it's the power supply. Earlier, with exactly the same hardware set-up, I successfully loaded the OS on one disk when RAID was not enabled. This is for my business so I really need the RAID 1 configuration.

Any recommendations? Thanks much!
June 7, 2007 8:03:30 PM

Quote:
I just assembled a new PC and installed Win XP Pro SP2. However, the system just continuously reboots as it tries to load the OS from the hard disk from the very first attempt. Here are my specs:

Abit KN9 Mobo BIOS 1.1 (2006/09/22)
ASUS EN7300GT Video PCI Express
G.Skill DDR2 PC2-6500 1GB x 2
AMD Athlon 64X2 6000 3.0GHz
AMD-supplied aluminum HSF
Antec SmartPower 400w
Sony-NEC CD/DVD/RW
3.5" Floppy
120 mm Case Fan
PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse
Maxtor 160GB SATA2 HD x 2, RAID 1

A split-second BSD is displayed but it's not there long enough to be read. There's no other hardware in the machine yet so I doubt that it's the power supply. Earlier, with exactly the same hardware set-up, I successfully loaded the OS on one disk when RAID was not enabled. This is for my business so I really need the RAID 1 configuration.

Any recommendations? Thanks much!

how did you install the drivers for the RAID controller? it may need some other drivers that you have to load off of a floppy disk while you are installing windows. Usually u push F6 when it says "setup is loading files"
and then it prompts u for the floppy with additional drivers. check the abit website to see if additional drivers are required.
June 7, 2007 8:41:03 PM

The board came with the latest RAID drivers posted on the Abit website. At start-up, in CMOS, I enabled RAID on the SATA ports in the CMOS Integrated Peripherals section. After saving, I hit F10, when I was prompted, to enter the RAID utility and set the boot flag to yes.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my initial post, but yes, I did install the two nVidia RAID drivers that came with the motherboard via floppy and F6 during the WinXP install.

On another forum and a different Abit board, someone with the same issue tried lowering the default memory CAS 5 to the rated 4 and solved the problem. In my case, though, that did not help at all.

Thanks.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2007 9:57:51 PM

it sucks that restart on bsod(restart on error) is on by default.

I would try to disable every on board device you do not need(lan sound, unplug all usb devices) to see if you can get it to boot. At this case you are kind of stuck not being able to see the error.

Maybe if you are real quick u can use the pause/break key to hold the bsod there. but i've never tried it.
June 8, 2007 6:22:13 PM

Quote:
The board came with the latest RAID drivers posted on the Abit website. At start-up, in CMOS, I enabled RAID on the SATA ports in the CMOS Integrated Peripherals section. After saving, I hit F10, when I was prompted, to enter the RAID utility and set the boot flag to yes.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my initial post, but yes, I did install the two nVidia RAID drivers that came with the motherboard via floppy and F6 during the WinXP install.

On another forum and a different Abit board, someone with the same issue tried lowering the default memory CAS 5 to the rated 4 and solved the problem. In my case, though, that did not help at all.

Thanks.

Looks like you setup the drivers correctly. Maybe the RAID configuration in the bios is not set correctly or the drives are having some sort of issues.

Try double checking the settings in the RAID setup and how did you setup the drives, from scratch? are you able to install winXP on a single drive and then add in the second drive as a mirror after?
!